U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times

Advertisements

OP, my son has sensory processing issues that were recently diagnosed. Neither his teacher nor the school district occupational therapist think anything is wrong but an OT at the children's hospital did a 2 hour eval and found some issues. Over sensitivity to sound was one of a few things that I noticed that prompted me to get him checked out (specifically including the public toilet flushing thing). I don't think paganmama's suggestion to take her to a therapist is so crazy. That's where I started with my son and she is the one who suggested the OT eval. Also, adopted kids or kids who had a traumatic birth (my son) can be more likely to have sensory processing disorder. My point is, even though the school doesn't see a problem, I wouldn't give up if I were you. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM

3,778 posts, read 7,167,630 times
Loud noise is bad for the hearing. Most adults have damaged hearing. Why do we think it's such a good thing to damage our kids' ears?

I don't go to movies (or hockey games) because the lights and the noise are both migraine triggers. It's no big deal to me; it's just not a part of my life.

OP, it's good for your girls to know that they can be close without liking all the same things.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
sll thank you. Just today daddy and sister watched It's a Bugs Life and other sister chose to work on a puzzle. I frankly saw very little entertainment value in watching insects (I spend half my spring and summer trying to get of them) so I helped with the puzzle. Everybody was happy.

As to their closeness. They are both from Vietnam and most folks think they are twins which is funny to us. (The ole "they all look alike" mentality with minorities). They are certainly in the minority at school but each is in a different class and have separate friends. I'm so glad they have each other for company and their bond is so great.

Only hope it lasts their whole lives.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,538,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think that's unnecessary.

Many people don't like certain types of movies!

I certainly don't need therapy because I won't watch horror movies.

My husband doesn't need therapy because he won't watch romance movies.
Exactly. Especially for being expected to sit through a movie they dislike at a young age. Lots of kids have phases they grow out of. It's perfectly normal! There are always funny stories that parents tell to their grown children about the odd phases they saw them go through growing up.

Of course, if it persists until it's a long-lasting phobia then there's a problem. But don't overreact to normal variation in kids' behaviour. It could be gone before you know it.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,985,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I balled my eyes out watching ET--on a first date! He thought I was nuts. My dog didnt like him. That was the first clue...

I always listen to my dogs now! They're smarter than me!
When I was a kid I hated E. T., but my sisters loved it. So, I took the tape (VHS of course) and simply cut the tape in it. Problem solved. I also did the same with Silence of the Lambs when I was probably six. Yes, even my seven-year-old sister loved that movie.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 2,919,087 times
It is possible that my DS has SPD.

Can't stand the sound of public toilets (Well, they ARE loud!)...

He did not used to like movies, but likes them now.

The big one, though: before, he could not stand fireworks. Had a panic attack at Disney World during the fireworks and we left.

Well, we're going to Disney in a few weeks and he said, "Mom, I am staying for the fireworks...they are no big deal". (He's now 8).

So kids do grow out of things.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
I'm 72 years old, and I refuse to go to big-screen movies, because the sound level is way way too loud. I haven't been to a movie in almost 20 years.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
frankly--you haven't missed too much.

I'm losing some hearing and even I find public movies too loud. With netflix I don't understand why anybody goes to movies. Eventually almost everything comes to netflix or TV.
However I will not watch a movie on TV unless I can Tivo it. Commercials drive me crazy.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,725,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It is possible that my DS has SPD.

Can't stand the sound of public toilets (Well, they ARE loud!)...

He did not used to like movies, but likes them now.

The big one, though: before, he could not stand fireworks. Had a panic attack at Disney World during the fireworks and we left.

Well, we're going to Disney in a few weeks and he said, "Mom, I am staying for the fireworks...they are no big deal". (He's now 8).

So kids do grow out of things.
I'm having an issue with dd about public toilets. The automatic ones scared her when she was twoish (she's 3.5) and she's completely toilet trained everywhere else with no problem but she's totally terrified of the noise in public bathrooms, and won't go. So I'm having to coax her into them, one bathroom at a time. I know she'll grow out of it but it really is a pain.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm having an issue with dd about public toilets. The automatic ones scared her when she was twoish (she's 3.5) and she's completely toilet trained everywhere else with no problem but she's totally terrified of the noise in public bathrooms, and won't go. So I'm having to coax her into them, one bathroom at a time. I know she'll grow out of it but it really is a pain.
It could very well be the "suddenness" of the automatic toilets. She's all exposed and all of a sudden "woosh!". Noise. Sudden action she can't see.

Public bathrooms are an assault on the senses. Odd shaped toilets. (Yes. It can bother some kids.) Too many people you don't know. Noisy. Smell. Is she a clean freak? Walking into a public bathroom with other people's messes is not good if you're a germophobe. Hate to tell you this, Finster, but I still don't like using them. Some people don't "grow out" we "adjust". I'm available for consultations.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-02-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting