U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM

6,117 posts, read 5,140,445 times

Advertisements

I'm in the kitchen starting the New Year's Eve dinner, and watching TCM while I'm doing it. There was a movie on with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne - "Penny Serenade". Anybody ever seen it? It makes me think of the infertility problem my older daughter and her husband are going through, and the adoption they are considering. My younger daughter had to leave the kitchen bawling, she couldn't watch the rest of it. I'm sitting with a box of tissues. Anybody else ever see this movie?

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-31-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,287,912 times
I haven't seen it in years but it's considered a classic. (I can tell you I cried the day Cary Grant died.)

How is your older daughter doing?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,666,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I haven't seen it in years but it's considered a classic. (I can tell you I cried the day Cary Grant died.)

*Scratches head* cary who?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM

51,076 posts, read 50,392,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm in the kitchen starting the New Year's Eve dinner, and watching TCM while I'm doing it. There was a movie on with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne - "Penny Serenade". Anybody ever seen it? It makes me think of the infertility problem my older daughter and her husband are going through, and the adoption they are considering. My younger daughter had to leave the kitchen bawling, she couldn't watch the rest of it. I'm sitting with a box of tissues. Anybody else ever see this movie?
YES! Only recently, for the first time.

About a month ago I'd put on the NJ Network channel to catch the lottery numbers, and after that they showed Penny Serenade, so I left it on thinking I would upgrade my cultural knowledge by watching an old film, plus it was Friday night and I have no social life. It was your typical melodramatic 1940's style movie, and at first I was thinking "this is corny" but I kept watching it, and it really was a good movie. Then it got to the part where the mother says something to the little girl about having her forever, and I thought, "OH NO, the kid is going to DIE."

It really was a tearjerker, and a very well put-together story despite some of the old-time dramatic methods used (the fortune-cookie paper getting smashed in the earthquake to let you know she had a miscarriage, and the fact that when they get the call from the adoption lady at the end, they seem to suddenly forget the girl's death of a few days ago and are jumping for joy planning how to redecorate her bedroom for a boy, lol). I did like the use of the music to tell the story.

Made me want to watch some more old films.

I hope it all works out well for your daughter. My neighbor was just telling me that her daughter, aged 37, had uterine cancer two years ago and had a complete hysterectomy, and now they are in the process of adopting a three-year-old boy.

My own sister was infertile and she and her husband adopted my niece 22 years ago. She has brought so much joy to our family--she was meant to be part of us!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM

6,117 posts, read 5,140,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Much better, thanks for asking. She and my son-in-law are still living apart for a time while haivng counseling, separately and together. They went out on a "date" New Year's Eve, and we will all be getting together tomorrow night at her grandparents' to celebrate her birthday (she's staying with them right now). They are putting the parenthood thing on hold for a time while they re-evaluate things and get their marriage re-cemented. We just want her healthy right now, mentally and physically.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM

51,076 posts, read 50,392,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Much better, thanks for asking. She and my son-in-law are still living apart for a time while haivng counseling, separately and together. They went out on a "date" New Year's Eve, and we will all be getting together tomorrow night at her grandparents' to celebrate her birthday (she's staying with them right now). They are putting the parenthood thing on hold for a time while they re-evaluate things and get their marriage re-cemented. We just want her healthy right now, mentally and physically.
Oh, sorry to hear your daughter was having such problems. I hope it all works out for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or