U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,364,337 times

Advertisements

It used to be that people felt compelled to answer the phone - that they had to do it. Now, it is just the opposite. The culture is so stressful, this is one way to have control over your life. You don't HAVE to answer the phone. You don't HAVE to talk to people who want to talk to you.

What was the urgency in your case?

If you must get in touch with someone, call their cell phone, leave a message, text them or email them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
A number of robbers? Where do you live? I certainly don't want my daughter answering the door to a stranger. If someone is to assume we're not home, they'll have to get through our dogs and alarm system. I don't instruct my daughter to answer the phone because we have an answering machine. If it's important, leave a message. If someone really needs to get a hold of me, they call my cell.
For the area she lives in it's VERY smart street sense. I used to do exactly the same thing. It is BTW, what the experts tell you to do in that locale. The bad guys WILL target your house if they knock and no one answers the door. It would take some of these dudes 5 minutes to get past dogs and an alarm system. If they know you are home, they'll go next door. Note: Front security doors are big business in CA and this is one of the reasons.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post

But that doesn't answer the question of what can I do to resolve this?
What is it you want to resolve? If you think it's bad manners for them to not pick up the phone that's YOUR opinion. You don't have the right to resolve anything as far as the children's manners go, that's their parents job.

I would concentrate on my own manners, it being that if you had called me multiple times since Christmas and then 1/2 times an hour every hour during one day I would have thought you were extremely rude and might have become exasperated to the point where I'd might just let my kid answer the phone with a smart arse comment in order to stop you from harassing me.

I don't mean to be harsh with you but you really have to have empathy for other people and put yourself in their shoes rather than getting upset if they don't bend to your will.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post

I mean I've been trying to reach this person since before Xmas and they haven't returned my call except for their son who said "is someone dying if not stop calling"
Well, that says a lot right there.....

Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
I have to agree with the other posters.....what is so urgent that they are the only ones who can resolve it for you? If that is really the case and it were really that important, they'd be answering it.

Let it go and stop calling them.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
if you had called me multiple times since Christmas and then 1/2 times an hour every hour during one day I would have thought you were extremely rude and might have become exasperated to the point where I'd might just let my kid answer the phone with a smart arse comment in order to stop you from harassing me.
That's what my husband said!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM

235 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It used to be that people felt compelled to answer the phone - that they had to do it. Now, it is just the opposite. The culture is so stressful, this is one way to have control over your life. You don't HAVE to answer the phone. You don't HAVE to talk to people who want to talk to you.

What was the urgency in your case?

If you must get in touch with someone, call their cell phone, leave a message, text them or email them.
In my case the urgency is that I need to know last minute answers to questions in regards to terms and agreements as the person who I've been trying to get in communication with is the only one that can answer those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What is it you want to resolve? If you think it's bad manners for them to not pick up the phone that's YOUR opinion. You don't have the right to resolve anything as far as the children's manners go, that's their parents job.

I would concentrate on my own manners, it being that if you had called me multiple times since Christmas and then 1/2 times an hour every hour during one day I would have thought you were extremely rude and might have become exasperated to the point where I'd might just let my kid answer the phone with a smart arse comment in order to stop you from harassing me.

I don't mean to be harsh with you but you really have to have empathy for other people and put yourself in their shoes rather than getting upset if they don't bend to your will.
What I want them to resolve is the fact that their son should have picked up the first time and told me what I wanted to hear but inside he was being a little $%& and being rude to that person.

Do you call it harassment when the person that you are trying to reach is also someone that you are moving in with in a week and you needed answers as you are leaving in a few days and if you don't get those answers then you can't leave or find out half-way you are there that they changed their mind and don't want you to stay either?

Old 01-01-2011, 01:11 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Honestly, I would have a back up plan. If they are not answering your calls, I would guess they have changed their minds about having you. Sorry.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 PM

235 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Honestly, I would have a back up plan. If they are not answering your calls, I would guess they have changed their minds about having you. Sorry.
Or they don't want to talk to me since I'm moving in with them but that shouldn't matter why they haven't returned my calls though.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,511,480 times
You were being a pain in the arse you kept calling, I don't blame the child for being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting