U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,998,476 times

Advertisements

everyone I played football, wrestled and ran track with in high school showered except a couple of guys who were known to be lacking in the size department but nobody showered after PE except for jocks.
I myself never had a problem walking around naked in a locker room but i think closed shower stalls should be available and it should be up to the students if they want to shower after PE.

I will say that athletes should be required to shower as no one wants to sit buy that kid on the buss ride home LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,806,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I read this article today:

Students taking showers: Shower stalls stay dry at most public schools - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Nobody used the showers in my high school and that was in the late 70's. Our gym teachers would make a big deal out of the "rules" at the beginning of each year, but never followed up to make sure anyone actually got wet. My kids never showered after gym, although they would sometimes use the showers in the field house after football. Usually they would just come right home to clean up.

Should schools even bother building these facilities anymore?

I've coached high school wrestling the last 7 years and we have this discussion every October at our annual winter coaches meeting with our district's athletic director. per legal guidelines we can NOT force our athletes to take showers at school but we are highly encouraged to encouraged them to do so. i have some who do on occasion. i know us as coaches probably use them more often than the kids do, although we have our own private showering facility in the coaches office.

i graduated from high school in 1999 and even in the mid to late 90s i can remember our shower facility in the boys PE room having cobwebs in it due to the lack of use. even the one we had in the football locker room which was off campus was used to store equipment lol.

99.9% after wrestling practice i tried to just race home and shower after practice. on those rare occasions i would shower up at school.

too many litigious issues these days with kids showering in public. different culture, different era.

my dad played football and baseball in the 60s and said you were required to shower after football practice. the equipment coach was assigned "shower duty". basically had to check off who went in and who came out. haha. lovely job i'm sure.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,806,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
My daughter is in high school and on the swim team, she uses the shower facilities everyday.

Growing up we didn't have running water for the first couple of years of high school so we definitely used the facilities. I was very active in PE and team sports anyway.

i coach high school swimming and we practice off campus so kind of a mute point here. i know when i was in high school our swim team did shower after practice but they practiced at the local YMCA. it was optional....i think haha.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Why not just get rid of gym class anyway, I never met a kid, me included, that liked or even wanted to take gym class. I personally think it is a waste of my taxpayer dollars to have a teacher paid to make kids play sports. Also, a lot of children are not good in sports or for that matter don't even like sports, and they don't have too.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,680,612 times
We were required to shower after gym class in high school, but no one did. We stuck our feet in, dried them with the towel, and turned in the wet towel to prove we'd showered. Fast forward to my kids, neither of them showered after gym class and they reported that no one did. Who wants to shwer in front of a bunch of people? Not many of us.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Why not just get rid of gym class anyway, I never met a kid, me included, that liked or even wanted to take gym class. I personally think it is a waste of my taxpayer dollars to have a teacher paid to make kids play sports. Also, a lot of children are not good in sports or for that matter don't even like sports, and they don't have too.
Schools are revamping physical education programs to be less sports oriented and more fitness oriented. It remains to be seen whether or not this will work. Schools are beginning to incorporate digital fitness into their classes. Not too many schools are involved right now, but I am sure they will be.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Schools are beginning to incorporate digital fitness into their classes.
What the heck is "digital fitness"? A Wii? So kids won't go outside into the fresh air anymore?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What the heck is "digital fitness"? A Wii? So kids won't go outside into the fresh air anymore?
Probably. It would not be the only activity, but a supplement to the regular curriculum using fitness games. The idea is to get the kids who don't like sports and who hate PE. This is especially important with the amount of obesity in teens nowadays.

Do digital fitness programs beat traditional PE? | Edutopia

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Probably. It would not be the only activity, but a supplement to the regular curriculum using fitness games.
Thought so. (I'm not always up on the latest names for things.) They are doing that in the elementary schools in my area. When temps are up over 100 (And that would be 2-3 months of the school year) the kids can't go out and play so they've started doing this inside. It's been a huge hit with the kids.

But once it's cools off, the kids are urged to go outside and use the gym equipment. I'm in favor of anything that will get kids up and moving.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM

21,147 posts, read 22,139,461 times
That would have been great for me...I was a kid who hated PE. H.A.T.E.D. it. I wasn't obese either (scrawny actually....) just uncoordinated. I always hated PE. Once I got to "jr. high" we had to wear horrid white, one piece gym-suits (and yes, the teachers stood there at the entrance to the showers which consisted of a bunch of shower heads and no curtains and determined whether we had showered adequately before they handed us a towel)....and play team sports. I would have rather done just about anything than PE (but it was required every semester in CA in the 70s). In high school it improved because we could wear shorts and a t-shirt and sign up for things like raquetball and archery or dance. I would have probably done DDR or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or