U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
This has gone beyond a parenting discussion and turned into a debate. Bottom line, if you don't like AG dolls, don't buy them!
Exactly. I have all the dolls, although I got them too young and some of their hair has seen better days. I had an addy doll. I couldn't tell you one thing about her story. All I remember was Samantha's friend worked in a factory I think...I also remember going to Colonial Williamsburg to see Felicity's world. I also remember someone in Molly's family being in WWII (?).

I remember having stories about slave girls escaping in English class when I was younger. Thought it was interesting. I like historical literature.

I also remember learning about the holocaust and the story we read the mother sent all 3 of her girls out alone while she stayed behind. They poured peroxide on their hair to turn it red.

I used to read "Dear America" books which where really cool!

I wish they had an Italian immigrant doll. They could of made her go through ellis island and all kinds of neat things.

Ok. I'll end my tangent now...

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,327,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Mr. GE, perhaps you could start your own doll company.
what a lucid, insightful, and well thought out comment to add to this discussion...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 2,922,249 times
Too pithy for you?

How is this for insightful: Since you believe so fervently that you have the answer to how African-American women should be portrayed to girls through the medium of dolls, perhaps you should invest your time and energy and expertise into DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of complaining on an internet message board.

Do you really think you can change the world by arguing about this with women who (mostly) do not agree with you? Take your high ideals in hand and get busy. Come up with some designs, a marketing plan, investors. Find manufacturers, distributors, warehouses, stores. Create advertising and media tie-ins. Change things by DOING, not by being snippy.

After all, this is what Pleasant Rowland, the founder of American Girl Dolls, did.

She created a brand that has spawned books, feature films, flagship stores. Her brand has won the prestigious Oppenheimer Toy Award EIGHT times. She sold to Mattel for $700 MILLION. The only doll that outsells American Girl is Barbie.

Meanwhile, she has donated over $200 million to charity to support the arts and historic centers. She has received an honorary doctorate.

But no, that is NOT what YOU are doing. It is easy to whine and complain on an anonymous site, isn't it? It is easy to say this is an example of white America keeping up the sterotypes against blacks.

It is NOT easy to found a multi-million dollar company that, whatever your objections, reaches and pleases millions of girls around the world and has used its profits to further benefit society.

Like I said, since you have all the answers, YOU do it. Then I will be ready to listen to you.

Lucid enough, this time?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Too pithy for you?

How is this for insightful: Since you believe so fervently that you have the answer to how African-American women should be portrayed to girls through the medium of dolls, perhaps you should invest your time and energy and expertise into DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of complaining on an internet message board.

Do you really think you can change the world by arguing about this with women who (mostly) do not agree with you? Take your high ideals in hand and get busy. Come up with some designs, a marketing plan, investors. Find manufacturers, distributors, warehouses, stores. Create advertising and media tie-ins. Change things by DOING, not by being snippy.

After all, this is what Pleasant Rowland, the founder of American Girl Dolls, did.

She created a brand that has spawned books, feature films, flagship stores. Her brand has won the prestigious Oppenheimer Toy Award EIGHT times. She sold to Mattel for $700 MILLION. The only doll that outsells American Girl is Barbie.

Meanwhile, she has donated over $200 million to charity to support the arts and historic centers. She has received an honorary doctorate.

But no, that is NOT what YOU are doing. It is easy to whine and complain on an anonymous site, isn't it? It is easy to say this is an example of white America keeping up the sterotypes against blacks.

It is NOT easy to found a multi-million dollar company that, whatever your objections, reaches and pleases millions of girls around the world and has used its profits to further benefit society.

Like I said, since you have all the answers, YOU do it. Then I will be ready to listen to you.

Lucid enough, this time?

I never said I had the answers to how Black American women should be portrayed in a doll... I never brought up who they should model the dolls after until you asked me a specific question and I answered it.

I also never complained, I have simply stated why I have problem with the dolls and explained why I do... That seems to get under skin...

Mrs. Rowland has been very successful... and her success & philanthropy has nothing to do with this discussion. Her success does not make Addy less offensive to me. Please, let's stay on topic...

You said I should start my own company to rival this one because I don't like the doll... and who's being snippy?

The Addy doll is offensive to ME... I would not purchase it for my child. I'm entitled to feel this way...

you have made it very clear that it is not offensive to you. So buy a million if you want. I have never said, anyone else has to be offended. Yet, you continue to call me names and ask me questions and make saracastic comments because I don't see them like you do... sounds like you are arguing with me?

And this is a message and discussion board is it not? We discuss things here...

Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 2,922,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Yet, you continue to call me names and ask me questions and make saracastic comments because I don't see them like you do... sounds like you are arguing with me?

This is so completely untrue, it boggles my mind.

Where did I call you a name?
Where was I being sarcastic?

I am completely serious.

(Not to mention in your OP you asked for everyone's opinion. But you haven't liked the opinions you have gotten.)

BTW, I might do it; maybe I could make a fortune.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
This is so completely untrue, it boggles my mind.

Where did I call you a name?
Where was I being sarcastic?

I am completely serious.

(Not to mention in your OP you asked for everyone's opinion. But you haven't liked the opinions you have gotten.)

BTW, I might do it; maybe I could make a fortune.
The whole start your own company was sarcastic, don't say it wasn't... The names may have been another poster. I'm too lazy to look through the pages... so maybe that wasn't you.

And in reference to asking opinions...

I asked if anyone agreed with me. or if they could tell me why I shouldn't be offended... I didn't ask for all the other stuff I got...

From my original posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Are the historical dolls not offensive to anyone?

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...

Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,799,189 times
Closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or