U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I am a male and I have 2 daugheters who are Half Hawiian and Half Black. And I do not mean their mother is just from Hawaiian, her ethnicity is actually 50% Hawaiian. So my daughters look very polynesian. I ran across the American Girl doll from a business partner who actually gave me a brochure on the new "Hawaiian" Kanani doll. The doll does not look Polynesian at all, Its just a caucasian doll dressed up in a Mapu, a lei, and has a plumeria in her hair. So my wife & I agreed that we would not get this doll for our daughters. So we proceeded to look to see if they had any other dolls that we may want to get our daugher, perhaps a black one...

Well American Girl has black dolls, but they have one historical doll that is a Slave doll named Addy!!! Who in their right mind would buy this doll for their daugher? The doll is dressed up in a plantation dress and has gapped teeth. They also have a native American doll that has a Goat as an accessory! They even had a homeless doll but because of public outrage it was removed.

Are the historical dolls not offensive to anyone? Maybe I do not understand because I'm a man but it is very disturbing to me.

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...
Slavery did exist, correct?

It was a huge part of our country's history, correct?

Female children were slaves, correct?

I don't see anything offensive about the doll.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

13,107 posts, read 17,652,758 times
I also feel people should understand these dolls are extremely exspensive and how many little girls cannot afford them and it stinks that these dolls are so costly . and yes their accesories are costly too . I remember when I was a little girl older ladies used to make the doll clothes nobody does that anymore . Oh well yeah I dont like these dolls because of the cost of them .

Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,064 times
All AG dolls' faces are from the same mold (or identical multiple molds, but you get the idea). They just have different skin tones, eye color, and hair. The books that tell each girl's story are actually quite good, educational, and age- appropriate.

But I agree that the dolls are over-priced. My girls have 8 of them and many accessories, but their Nana, who is a doll enthusiast, buys it all. I wouldn't pay $100 for a doll.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times
I used to have a successful doll shop (in the 90's) in Atlanta. Back then dolls were very popular, especially high quality collectible ones as well as play dolls. American Girl dolls have never been sold in retail shops, only mail order- then online and then they came up with American Girl Experience stores in major cities.

While I couldn't sell American Girl, I did sell many hand made clothes(most of which I made), beds, linens, accessories. They were very popular. Many people imported shoes, handbags, furniture etc from China and elsewhere. Don't know if these are still in business with this recession.

But if you ever have a chance to go to a doll show, there will definitely be vendors there selling all these items. Or go to a Women's Craft store and you should find reasonable doll clothes for this size(18") doll. With a bit of time it is possible to find very similar fabrics and patterns to duplicate the clothes in the catalog.

Up until this year I made doll clothes, bags, linens for all my girls' birthday party gifts.

I've had some vision problems lately but I've made so many I could probably do it in my sleep.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,166,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I am a male and I have 2 daugheters who are Half Hawiian and Half Black. And I do not mean their mother is just from Hawaiian, her ethnicity is actually 50% Hawaiian. So my daughters look very polynesian. I ran across the American Girl doll from a business partner who actually gave me a brochure on the new "Hawaiian" Kanani doll. The doll does not look Polynesian at all, Its just a caucasian doll dressed up in a Mapu, a lei, and has a plumeria in her hair. So my wife & I agreed that we would not get this doll for our daughters. So we proceeded to look to see if they had any other dolls that we may want to get our daugher, perhaps a black one...

Well American Girl has black dolls, but they have one historical doll that is a Slave doll named Addy!!! Who in their right mind would buy this doll for their daugher? The doll is dressed up in a plantation dress and has gapped teeth. They also have a native American doll that has a Goat as an accessory! They even had a homeless doll but because of public outrage it was removed.

Are the historical dolls not offensive to anyone? Maybe I do not understand because I'm a man but it is very disturbing to me.

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...
I loved AG dolls for my daughter, and am sad she's outgrown them. The doll that has the goat is Josefina. I didn't find the dolls offensive at all, but very educational. The book series to each doll are great for girls.

I copied this from the AG site, and it explains each historical doll.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service

I will agree that the new Kanani doesn't look very Hawaiian. Her hair s/b darker, IMO. I agree w/ another poster about making a doll to look like your daughter.

Another website to check out is Custom Twinn Doll (http://www.mytwinn.com/Custom-Twinn-Doll - broken link), another pricey doll made to look like your daughter.

Alot of these dolls can be found for a less price on ebay. Another doll to check out is those made by Lee Middleton.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,497,718 times
Actually I thought it was weird too. While there are many different races of people who live in Hawaii (my BIL's family has been there for generations and they are ethnically Japanese) you would think they would at least pick a doll with dark hair and eyes.

My daughter is Asian, she picked a sort of Cuban looking American Girl Doll...she liked her dress.

I like AG dolls but I did think it was a strange decision.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM

OK all that aside do you understand now why American Girl Addy is so popular with whites as well as non whites? Have you had a chance to read any of the books?

They are sold at any book store and I think Target sells the books as well. Some girls enjoy the books and of course can't afford the dolls. Target sells it's own version of 18" doll which can wear clothes for most other 18" doll.

There were so many copy cat dolls of the American Girl that most little girls did not realize they did not have the real thing. Especially if they had the books.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
I read the books when they first came out, despite not owning the dolls; they are available at the library. I enjoyed looking at the American Girls catalog and all of the elaborate (and expensive!) dolls and accessories, but for me, anyway, it was the books that had the greatest appeal.

The girls I know now seem to be interested in all the dolls, and not exclusively the ones that look like them. I think there's a great value in having dolls representing a range of ethnicities and backgrounds, and think it's great that girls both have the opportunity to play with dolls that both represent the girl's own cultural/ethnic background, as well as those that don't. Sure, I wish they were more affordable and that every girl who wanted one could have one, but at least the books are available to everyone for free from the library.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,911,008 times
We used to live in downtown Chicago and I was shocked to see how many people would be walking around with several bags of AG stuff, I mean you're walking around advertising that you've got several hundred dollars worth of merchandise in your hands. The worst was the little girls who couldn't wait to get them out and would be playing with them on the bus, I'm sure more than one got left behind!

My daughter asked for one but despite the many options they don't have all of her features available. And besides, $100 on a doll is just too much for me.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 AM

merchants buy expensive shopping bags with their name on it for advertising. And it works. Power of suggestion is great and lots of folks recycle fancy shopping bags for some type of image boost.

So walking around with American Girl shopping bags is not asking for anymore trouble than any other advertising bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or