U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 AM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Reputation: 16471

Advertisements

Slightly OT but my favorite American Girl was Samantha, the girl from 1904. I've always been in love with the Victorian Age apparently. LOL

 
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Powell, WY
991 posts, read 1,953,326 times
Reputation: 1335
We have 3 American Girl dolls in our house: Samantha, Kit, and Julie (she's mine). I think their stories are fascinating, and our girls have read every single book, and have seen all of the movies. The girls' stories are interesting and age appropriate, and I don't see anything offensive about the stories or the dolls themselves.

Personally, I think we can all be offended by something if we look hard enough. If you're not looking for something offensive, perhaps you won't find it.

Getting in a tizzy about how a doll isn't representative of your race is silly, in my opinion. While we're on the subject, where are all the obese dolls? Since childhood obesity is such a hot button issue, where are all the fat girl dolls? I don't see them represented. Or, where's the white trash dolls? I mean, if you're going to be offended by the lack of representation, then be fair about it...include all of the groups that aren't being represented.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,983,036 times
Reputation: 1478
All of the American Girl dolls come with historical stories that depict young girls in strong roles. And, the "Just Like Me" line allows you to choose dolls with certain hair, skin and eye colors.

However, all of the facial features are basically the same. As an ethnic person (Italian/Spanish) I long ago resigned myself to the fact that they'll never make a doll that doesn't have small, delicate Caucasian features.

And, I find the eye colors on these dolls particularly weird. Rather than having multiple hue like most human eyes (with the exception of very dark brown eyes) they are all very bright and single-hued, giving them a phony appearance.

My kids have a few (bought by their grandparents) and they are well-made, but overpriced imo. The clothes are adorable, but overpriced as well.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Reputation: 14677
My kids are multiracial, and it's extremely difficult to find dolls that look like them. I will give AG credit for trying with that regard. My daughter has a "Just Like Me Doll" that does indeed look just like her. The dolls are pricey, but well made and have good warranties, and can be repaired. There are many clone clothes and accessories available that are cheaper, and many clothing patterns available, and my daughter and I make lots of the clothes, it's a great mother/daughter activity. If you don't want one, don't get one, but they are no more expensive than many other popular children's toys.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
 
852 posts, read 1,135,627 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
We have 3 American Girl dolls in our house: Samantha, Kit, and Julie (she's mine). I think their stories are fascinating, and our girls have read every single book, and have seen all of the movies. The girls' stories are interesting and age appropriate, and I don't see anything offensive about the stories or the dolls themselves.

Personally, I think we can all be offended by something if we look hard enough. If you're not looking for something offensive, perhaps you won't find it.

Getting in a tizzy about how a doll isn't representative of your race is silly, in my opinion. While we're on the subject, where are all the obese dolls? Since childhood obesity is such a hot button issue, where are all the fat girl dolls? I don't see them represented. Or, where's the white trash dolls? I mean, if you're going to be offended by the lack of representation, then be fair about it...include all of the groups that aren't being represented.
Julie's my favorite! BTW, I might spring for a white trash AG girl. That would definitely be worth $100.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Reputation: 46995
whatever their racial heritage do you think they might like the dolls froma historical point of view? My Asian girls love the one we chose to RESEMBLE them. No doll can look exactly like a kid.

From your description they sound like beautiful girls with darkish skin and asian features.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,326,465 times
Reputation: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
whatever their racial heritage do you think they might like the dolls froma historical point of view? My Asian girls love the one we chose to RESEMBLE them. No doll can look exactly like a kid.

From your description they sound like beautiful girls with darkish skin and asian features.
I'm bias but yes I think my daughters are very beautiful girls...

My girls are only 1 and 4... I do not think the historical point of view is something on their mind. And I do not have a problem with the modern day dolls. Those are great!

I just happen to find the historical ones offensive. And I would never buy them for my daughters. But other people are welcome to do as they see fit. To each its own... I just believe there are better ways to teach kids about history than to get them a slave doll to play with. I want them to know history but also understand to move past it. I think its hard to do that when you are playing with doll that represents it.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
I'm a little confused... Do you find the clothing the Addy doll wears offensive? I looked at the doll and all of the clothing and what Addy is wearing is nicer than anything my very white mother wore during the Depression.

And MR.GE would you consider "building" an American Girl doll for your daughters?

And my two cents: Haole can go both ways. When I was a kid it was an insult. Today, not nearly so much. (Speaking of the pidgin and Hawaiian speaking surfers I hang with.) It was also an insult to get called a "round eye" 50 years ago. If the surfers don't respect you they have MUCH worse names.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,326,465 times
Reputation: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm a little confused... Do you find the clothing the Addy doll wears offensive? I looked at the doll and all of the clothing and what Addy is wearing is nicer than anything my very white mother wore during the Depression.

And MR.GE would you consider "building" an American Girl doll for your daughters?

It's not about whether the clothing is nice... I think all of the historical dolls perpetuate stereotypes. I just believe there are better ways to teach kids about history than to get them a slave doll to play with. I want them to know history but also understand that we have moved past it. I think its hard to do that when you are playing with a doll that represents it.

And yes, I would build a doll for my daughters. Thank you for asking... I believe you are the first person to actually ask me if I would do that.
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's not about whether the clothing is nice... I think all of the historical dolls perpetuate stereotypes. I just believe there are better ways to teach kids about history than to get them a slave doll to play with. I want them to know history but also understand that we have moved past it. I think its hard to do that when you are playing with a doll that represents it.

And yes, I would build a doll for my daughters. Thank you for asking... I believe you are the first person to actually ask me if I would do that.
OK. I think I understand where you are coming from now. If you can afford it I think an AG doll would be something nice for your daughters. As I said, my niece is a combination. (Well, we all are.) But since she was the first girl in the family I couldn't wait to get her a doll. But finding one that looked remotely like her was hard.

We wanted her to take pride in how she looked. Her mom and I helped her pick out and "build" a doll that looked like her. She loved it. Kids notice so much. About the same time she was always fussing because I collect 7 Dwarf dolls and she hated Dopey because he didn't have any hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top