U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Addy's teeth are MORE gap than the other dolls...
Ok, I don't get the gap teeth thing. My front teeth have a gap, as do my mother's, and my daughter will probably have one too. Am I supposed to be offended that that doll's teeth have a gap, or not? I don't get what the deal is with the gap. Why is it an issue?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Again... I do not have a problem with you all not being offended or anyone else for that matter. But you cannot have a problem with me because I am offended.
I know African Americans who collect these items. I also know African Americans who are highly offended by them. Several years ago I was out to dinner with a group of people and we were discussing the Aunt Jemimah restaurant that was in Disneyland at one time. A couple of the AA's in the group had been there as children and recalled it fondly. One AA woman from Atlanta was highly offended at the thought that Disneyland had such a place. (AJ sponsored the restaurant)

I'm just trying to learn.

I would like to know what the Native American doll with the goat would offend you. Sorry. Full of curiosity. You're lucky I'm not asking you where you're from and what Island your wife lived on.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,927,221 times
Quote:
Addy's teeth are MORE gap than the other dolls...

No, they are not.

You can go to the American Girls website and look for yourself.

They are the same. All the dolls are made from the same mold. They all have the same basic facial structure.

*We* are not mad at you for being offended. *We* are mad at you for making an issue out of something that is not an issue. If you want to be offended about something, be offended about the way black culture is portrayed in mainstream Hollywood films, for example. I wouldn't blame you there. But the dolls, THIS is stupid.

And, yes, we all know how slave girls had access to high quality orthodontics.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 01-05-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,180,119 times
Julie's friend, Ivy is the only doll I notice that has different eyes, more slanted.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,329,354 times
Here is Rebecca

http://store.americangirl.com/images/G1134_main_3.jpg

and here is Addy...
http://store.americangirl.com/images/ADHY_main_3.jpg

Addy's teeth are clearly more gap!!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Default More About Addy...

Product Description
Addy and her mother make a terrifying journey north, holding fast to their dream that the war will end and one day, their family will be together again in freedom. Author: Connie Porter. Paperback. 88 pages.

First in a series of six historical books filled with inspiring lessons of compassion, courage, and friendship. Addy’s entire book set includes: Meet Addy; Addy Learns a Lesson; Addy’s Surprise; Happy Birthday, Addy!; Addy Saves the Day; and Changes for Addy.

Awards
  • The Addy Book Series is the winner of the 1994 Book of the Year, Blackboard African American Best Sellers, Inc.
  • Winner of the 1994 Children's Choice Award, Book Council/International Reading Association

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

So, if there is 1/16 inch of a difference between the white doll's teeth and the black doll's teeth, this is an indication of the doll companies agenda to perpetuate racial sterotypes and subjugate black people again?

AND you need a photo of Addy versus EVERY OTHER doll the company makes. Maybe the anomoly is with the white doll and not with the black doll.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,329,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I know African Americans who collect these items. I also know African Americans who are highly offended by them. Several years ago I was out to dinner with a group of people and we were discussing the Aunt Jemimah restaurant that was in Disneyland at one time. A couple of the AA's in the group had been there as children and recalled it fondly. One AA woman from Atlanta was highly offended at the thought that Disneyland had such a place. (AJ sponsored the restaurant)

I'm just trying to learn.

I would like to know what the Native American doll with the goat would offend you. Sorry. Full of curiosity. You're lucky I'm not asking you where you're from and what Island your wife lived on.

It's just a cultural thing... I don't think it's something I can explain to you anymore than I have already tried. We are all just different. Point blank and period.

Atleast you are not calling me STUPID because I dont think or feel the way you do though.

I should be thankful Slavery days of name calling is over, huh?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
[

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...[/quote]

That is exactly what you asked us to do and exactly what we are trying to do. You do not want to be enlightened.

There are many Black collectors in our country who buy all sorts of SLAVE memorabilia. They are quoted as saying they do so to keep history alive and to document this part of our history and to make sure it does not get lost.

Addy's teeth are no different from any of the other dolls. Look at it from a production cost point of view if you can't actually see it. Do you think Mattel would make a different mold for only 1 of the many dolls they make? Not gonna happen. I'm holding three AG dolls in my hands right now and I can tell you all the teeth are the same.

Looks to me like you are the one with the built in prejudice about racial stereotypes.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

1) Go to www.greatergrafton.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/crystal.jpg

You will see a white doll with the exact teeth as Addy's.

2) Name-calling as related to slavery? You are really stretching here.

3) I did not call YOU stupid. I called the argument stupid. There is a difference.

4) How you can find an offense with a doll whose teeth may or may not be gap boggles the mind, but it is perfectly acceptable for you to say that a woman should wear 4 or 5 inch heels 24/7 because of the way it makes her body look. You seem to be full of double standards. IT IS A DOLL. It is not a real life person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or