U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I should be thankful Slavery days of name calling is over, huh?

I get "dumb Pollock" jokes. Come to think of it I also get "dumb blonde" jokes. And you wouldn't believe the names I hear the Amish called right here on CD. (You want hatred and ignorance? Check out some of the threads where people are talking about puppy mills.) I'm of Amish and Polish descent. Ever see a stereotypical Amish doll with a bad haircut and a straw hat? Every culture has something that other cultures pick on, point out. Everyone gets called names. We are all different to someone else. It's the nature of being human.

I think, though, I understand where you are coming from. I hope you are raising proud Black/Hawaiian/whatever girls who will be strong, proud women.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-05-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,627 times
Rebecca is a newer doll, and Addy has been around for a while. If you look at a picture of another older doll like Molly, I think you'll see that the teeth are more similar to Addy's than to Rebecca's. It could be something as simple as a change to the mold that has nothing to do with race portrayal.

Last edited by lucygirl951; 01-05-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
The Jersey Shore represents my nationality.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Would somebody PLEASE enlighten me as to why the "gap" as it's being called has anything to do with race, or would even be a bone of contention? Honestly, I feel like I'm missing out on some kind of stereotype that I never even knew existed.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,380,587 times
Haven't had time to read the entire thread. But want to say that my dd's love the American Girl Dolls. They are expensive, but they are good quality and the books, videos teach some good values and history lessons. I agree that Target's Minkman AG accessories are a good alternative at a better price. We mix. Also, my first thought at seeing the new, Girl of the Year Hawaiian Doll, at 12:05 AM on 1/01/11 (Just to show you how much my girls are into AG) was that she doesn't look Hawaiian at all! If you want a doll that looks like your dd, try the Look Like Me AG Dolls. Enjoy! Your dd will only be little for a little while. It's fun!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Would somebody PLEASE enlighten me as to why the "gap" as it's being called has anything to do with race, or would even be a bone of contention? Honestly, I feel like I'm missing out on some kind of stereotype that I never even knew existed.
Yeah. I don't get it either.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM

10,064 posts, read 9,309,886 times
Heh. My daughter doesn't really give it much thought whether or not a doll looks like her....then again, she doesn't really play with dolls. My dear tomgirl.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
Both my husband and my son have gaps in their front teeth. Both are white. How exactly is that a race thing? Besides, as noted, Addy's an older doll than Rebecca; compare Addy to the older dolls and you'll see no difference.

The great irony here is that I think these dolls have a lot of potential to send POSITIVE messages to girls, not negative. Addy is not being framed as a "slave doll;" she's a girl who was a slave, but who bravely escapes to freedom. Sure, there are other periods of time that could be represented, but what's wrong with a Civil War-era doll? I fail to see what's so offensive about it. Her historical story is one of action and life in FREEDOM, not slavery. I still think it makes no sense to get offended by her without actually reading her story. She's not a "slave" doll and is not and was never framed as such.

It would be great to have another historic African American doll one of these days, and maybe there will be. In the meantime, I think one has to dig pretty hard to be offended by Addy.

For what it's worth, the Addy stories were written by an African-American author. She certainly didn't consider them to be offensive: Kidsreads.com - Connie Porter

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Most little kids have (or should have if you don't want to spend a fortune on braces) a gap between their front teeth for room for the bigger permanent teeth.

OP somehow thinks what he perceives as a larger gap between Addy's teeth as somehow stereotypical of racial prejudice.

The Pleasant Company started AG Dolls and then they were bought out by Mattel. Neither company was going to risk public distain and mass criticism by creating a black doll which was not thoroughly researched and studied before production. Yes there was and probably still is some criticism of Addy but not because of her gap.

Remember it has been decades since Addy's introduction and she was very well received. My Korean daughter wanted Addy way before she wanted a Asian looking doll. She liked her hair, her cowrie necklace but most of all her stories.

Mr. GE PLEASE READ ADDY's books. I'll bet you haven't done a bit of research on her other than obsess on her teeth. oh and that she is a slave doll.

Get back to us after you have read her books and maybe then you will be enlightened.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
A slave doll would be one who is ripped from her mother's arms on the auction block. Or one who comes with lovely little shackles which jingle when you put her in her cage or is raped by her master when she is 12 years old. Now that would be offensive.

I just reread Uncle Tom's Cabin and all of these obscene images are front in my mind. A cute little doll giving hours of play value and imparting a history lesson at the same time is a great investment or, at the very least, idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or