U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times

Advertisements

The AG girls' stories are terrific. As the mother of daughters, at a certain point, it gets hard to find popular girls' books in which the characters aren't neurotic or overly focused on looks or such silliness. The girls in the AG books are go-getters. They're strong and smart, and they make mistakes and learn from them. What's more, the girls reading the books and playing with the dolls get to learn a little about American history. My oldest daughter became fascinated with the Great Depression after reading the Kit book, and she sought out other books that took place during that time.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,867,859 times
I think that the OP is focused on this because his daughters are really too young for the AG dolls. The books are excellent and the dolls can be played with in ways that increase young girls knowledge of the world, history and strong young women.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
My daughter's both have American Girl dolls, but not because I bought them, grandma did.
Grandma wants them to be involved in them, but they really have never taken to them.
In a way, I am glad as I feel that the accessories,etc... are too expensive for a doll!

On that note, I don't understand WHY American Girl dolls & their accessories are so unattainable to many little girls & their families who would love to have one. Their prices are not for middle income families, who spends $175 on a bed for their child's doll??
I think that they are trying to portray decent messages to girls, but then their prices speak otherwise.
If they want to teach children lessons, they should start by lowering their prices and not making a statement that clearly says "if you aren't upper middle class, you can't afford to play with me!"....
You can buy the knock-offs at Target for considerably less, and then buy some of the accessories or outfits from American Girl, which is what I did for my girls. (Amazing how different a look you get when you pop Molly's glasses on a knockoff!) Or make your own clothes-- Simplicity has patterns, and I think a couple of other companies do, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I remember when I was a little girl older ladies used to make the doll clothes nobody does that anymore .
Wish you'd told me that before Christmas. I would have saved a LOT of money at JoAnn Fabrics.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I also feel people should understand these dolls are extremely exspensive and how many little girls cannot afford them and it stinks that these dolls are so costly . and yes their accesories are costly too . I remember when I was a little girl older ladies used to make the doll clothes nobody does that anymore . Oh well yeah I dont like these dolls because of the cost of them .
My daughter had an American Girl doll, but we bought the clothes and accessories at Target.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
We have 3 American Girl dolls in our house: Samantha, Kit, and Julie (she's mine). I think their stories are fascinating, and our girls have read every single book, and have seen all of the movies. The girls' stories are interesting and age appropriate, and I don't see anything offensive about the stories or the dolls themselves.

Personally, I think we can all be offended by something if we look hard enough. If you're not looking for something offensive, perhaps you won't find it.

Getting in a tizzy about how a doll isn't representative of your race is silly, in my opinion. While we're on the subject, where are all the obese dolls? Since childhood obesity is such a hot button issue, where are all the fat girl dolls? I don't see them represented. Or, where's the white trash dolls? I mean, if you're going to be offended by the lack of representation, then be fair about it...include all of the groups that aren't being represented.
This cracked me up. Oh, the accessories I could think of.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My kids are multiracial, and it's extremely difficult to find dolls that look like them. I will give AG credit for trying with that regard. My daughter has a "Just Like Me Doll" that does indeed look just like her. The dolls are pricey, but well made and have good warranties, and can be repaired. There are many clone clothes and accessories available that are cheaper, and many clothing patterns available, and my daughter and I make lots of the clothes, it's a great mother/daughter activity. If you don't want one, don't get one, but they are no more expensive than many other popular children's toys.
And my daughter's complaint was that it was hard to find a blonde doll with brown eyes instead of blue.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Would somebody PLEASE enlighten me as to why the "gap" as it's being called has anything to do with race, or would even be a bone of contention? Honestly, I feel like I'm missing out on some kind of stereotype that I never even knew existed.
I'm with you. I don't get how the tooth gap is racial at all. I'm of Dutch and English descent, and you don't get much whiter than that, and I had such a big gap in my front teeth when I was a kid that other kids asked me if I was going to grow another tooth in the middle. Right after my braces came off, Lauren Hutton came along as Revlon's spokesmodel sporting her big gap in her teeth.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And my daughter's complaint was that it was hard to find a blonde doll with brown eyes instead of blue.
Julie! My younger daughter is blond/brown, and she was very excited to see that Julie had brown eyes.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,243,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I am a male and I have 2 daugheters who are Half Hawiian and Half Black. And I do not mean their mother is just from Hawaiian, her ethnicity is actually 50% Hawaiian. So my daughters look very polynesian. I ran across the American Girl doll from a business partner who actually gave me a brochure on the new "Hawaiian" Kanani doll. The doll does not look Polynesian at all, Its just a caucasian doll dressed up in a Mapu, a lei, and has a plumeria in her hair. So my wife & I agreed that we would not get this doll for our daughters. So we proceeded to look to see if they had any other dolls that we may want to get our daugher, perhaps a black one...

Well American Girl has black dolls, but they have one historical doll that is a Slave doll named Addy!!! Who in their right mind would buy this doll for their daugher? The doll is dressed up in a plantation dress and has gapped teeth. They also have a native American doll that has a Goat as an accessory! They even had a homeless doll but because of public outrage it was removed.

Are the historical dolls not offensive to anyone? Maybe I do not understand because I'm a man but it is very disturbing to me.

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...
No, you are not alone in finding American Girl's depiction of African American, Native American - I checked out of even caring what they carried before the Hawaiian doll - offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or