Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

In my doll shop I actually carried a Down Syndrome doll. Guess you would have found that offensive too. I sold them to girls (mostly their grandmothers) to have a doll which looked like them. And siblings of DS kids wanted them too.

I think you need an attitude check.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I am a male and I have 2 daugheters who are Half Hawiian and Half Black. And I do not mean their mother is just from Hawaiian, her ethnicity is actually 50% Hawaiian. So my daughters look very polynesian. I ran across the American Girl doll from a business partner who actually gave me a brochure on the new "Hawaiian" Kanani doll. The doll does not look Polynesian at all, Its just a caucasian doll dressed up in a Mapu, a lei, and has a plumeria in her hair. So my wife & I agreed that we would not get this doll for our daughters. So we proceeded to look to see if they had any other dolls that we may want to get our daugher, perhaps a black one...

Well American Girl has black dolls, but they have one historical doll that is a Slave doll named Addy!!! Who in their right mind would buy this doll for their daugher? The doll is dressed up in a plantation dress and has gapped teeth. They also have a native American doll that has a Goat as an accessory! They even had a homeless doll but because of public outrage it was removed.

Are the historical dolls not offensive to anyone? Maybe I do not understand because I'm a man but it is very disturbing to me.

If any ladies can enlighten me on how this stuff is not offensive please do...
If you do not teach your daughters about our past history as a nation, then how can they possibly understand how far we have come? No, I don't think historically correct dolls are inappropriate at all. Your daughters will play with them, or not, in the manner they see fitting, not as you see fitting.

Women today and in the future need to be smart and tough, just as we have always been, historically speaking, regardless of our position in society. YMMV.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal comment.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Mr. GE what are you talking about. They are dolls played with by slave children. That does not mean they are Slave Dolls.

Oprah( as well as many other black or white collectors) collects all sorts of historical items and dolls tell alot about history of our nation as well as other countries.

I can't believe you object to what calgirlinnc wrote. Nothing at all inappropriate in what she wrote.

Because you all actually think I'm suppose to be ok with it because Oprah is... That's why

Like Oprah is the spokesperson for all black people.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 01-05-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you do not teach your daughters about our past history as a nation, then how can they possibly understand how far we have come? No, I don't think historically correct dolls are inappropriate at all. Your daughters will play with them, or not, in the manner they see fitting, not as you see fitting.

Women today and in the future need to be smart and tough, just as we have always been, historically speaking, regardless of our position in society. YMMV.

...I just believe there are better ways to teach kids about history than to get them a slave doll to play with. I want them to know history but also understand to move past it. I think its hard to do that when you are playing with a doll that represents it.

And why choose that time period... Why not use something post civil war???

Look, I've actually talked to several black women and men that I do business with about this and ALL of them have an issue with the dolls and state that they would not purchase them for their daughters either. I know that does not represent everyone. But there is no way you can convince me that the majority of black people would NOT have a problem with Addy.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM

So to be clear...

Oprah actually made an Austrialian shop remove the offensive Golliwog dolls before she would even set foot in their store... And this was a month ago...

Harpo has offensive dolls pulled from shelves

So for all that say Oprah is ok with a slave doll, you are completely fooling yourselves. She does not own any slave dolls... she owns black dolls. But not slave dolls.

does this make me correct in being offended since she is the litmus test for offensive black dolls?

If you are not too bright, I'm being sarcastic. so No it does not... I'm entitled to my opinion. I think it is offensive. If you do not that's ok with me. I'm not mad at you because you don't. But you all seem to be mad at me because I think it is offensive.

Talk about double standards...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
How do you feel about African Americans who collect memorabilia such as the doll that was (apparently) removed. I've read that Bill Cosby, Oprah, Billy Dee Williams and Spike Lee all collect things like "Mammy" cookie jars, salt and pepper shakers, etc. Some of those items go for big bucks and are very collectable.

(If Oprah was offended by that doll I can name a couple hundred stores in the South she better not go into. Including some high-end antique stores.) I should add I know African Americans who collect these items. Just nobody famous that you've ever heard of.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
[quote=Mr. GE;17274926 But there is no way you can convince me that the majority of black people would NOT have a problem with Addy.[/quote]

Well fine, that's your choice. It is your money and all that.

But you are taking the doll out of context, especially by complaining about it's gap teeth, when ALL AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS have gap teeth.

And you are wrong about Oprah and the slave dolls. I have watched her show and read her magazine for years on end and I have seen photos of said dolls in her homes.

Oh, and BTW, like it or not, Oprah IS a major spokesperson for black people in this country. And if the dolls in the shop offended her, guess what? She should have shopped elsewhere.

And aren't we supposed to be saying African-American instead of black just to be sure we don't cause more offense?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well fine, that's your choice. It is your money and all that.

But you are taking the doll out of context, especially by complaining about it's gap teeth, when ALL AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS have gap teeth.

And you are wrong about Oprah and the slave dolls. I have watched her show and read her magazine for years on end and I have seen photos of said dolls in her homes.

Oh, and BTW, like it or not, Oprah IS a major spokesperson for black people in this country. And if the dolls in the shop offended her, guess what? She should have shopped elsewhere.

And aren't we supposed to be saying African-American instead of black just to be sure we don't cause more offense?

Addy's teeth are MORE gap than the other dolls...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Default Speaking of Oprah and AG Dolls...

...This might interest you all.

From a couple of years ago:

American Girl Dolls Appear on Oprah Winfrey Tomorrow

Tuesday November 20, 2007
If you're not traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow afternoon, you might want to check out The Oprah Winfrey Show--the American Girl dolls will be appearing on the show! There will be an insider's look at the American Girl doll factory, plus a sneak peak at the latest American Girl doll! And, if you are in an American Girl mood this holiday season, you might want to also check out the new trailer for the full-length Kitt Kitredge movie that will hit theaters next summer at the American Girl Movie Headquarters.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How do you feel about African Americans who collect memorabilia such as the doll that was (apparently) removed. I've read that Bill Cosby, Oprah, Billy Dee Williams and Spike Lee all collect things like "Mammy" cookie jars, salt and pepper shakers, etc. Some of those items go for big bucks and are very collectable.

(If Oprah was offended by that doll I can name a couple hundred stores in the South she better not go into. Including some high-end antique stores.) I should add I know African Americans who collect these items. Just nobody famous that you've ever heard of.
Again... I do not have a problem with you all not being offended or anyone else for that matter. But you cannot have a problem with me because I am offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting