U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times

Advertisements

My granddaughter just had a tooth pulled because it was not being pushed out and her adult tooth was coming in behind it instead of where it should have come in.

I can see where spacers would be a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

8,012 posts, read 2,714,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That seems young, but it won't hurt to have an initial consultation with an orthodontist. Also keep in mind that it can be a real hassle to clean teeth with braces; are your kids ready to take on the extensive flossing, etc., that comes with it?
My daughter (and two step-sons who also had similar treatment) had removable braces - more like plates I suppose. So teeth cleaning wasn't an issue. They took them out for meals... which of course meant more chance of losing them at school. Two of the kids got by without losing them. The third... well let's just say the special insurance policy we bought came in very handy!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One of my 8 year old daughters definitely needs braces and I'm afraid the other one does too. Last time I took them to the dentist she said they were probably too young but they tell me others in their 3rd grade class have braces.
I believe if depends on how fast their baby teeth fall out. My son needed braces but he hadn't lost enough baby teeth to get them put in even at 11. He still had 13 baby teeth at 11. Every child's mouth is different.

Just make sure an ortho doesn't put a set in too early or you'll be paying for a second set of braces when they are older. There are only a few good reasons for a child to need to sets of braces. Ask around for references for the best orthos in your area.

Quote:
And with too small mouth, doesn't that mean teeth have to be pulled? How do they pull teeth on such young kids? Put them totally to sleep?
I have four less teeth than the average person. They had to pull teeth so my teeth fit into my mouth. They just yanked them out. I was wide awake.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
He explained that some orthodontists may recommend or even give young children braces before their adult teeth come in, but that generally, it's an expensive and unnecessary step (though there can be exceptions, of course). He said that a GOOD orthodontist would suggest waiting until all the teeth are in, and that a GOOD dentist wouldn't give an orthodontia referral unless there were other, bigger problems.

There are different schools of thought on this. Personally, I would be wary of an orthodontist that insisted that a "good" practitioner did things only his/her way. Crooked and misaligned teeth do relate to other problems later on. I had tons of teeth pulled and it is not always the best way. When my wisdom teeth finally came in they again crowded things but dentists didn't want to pull them because if I should ever need a bridge, there wouldn't be much to bridge onto. I think it depends on the child and getting several opinions is always a good thing.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Wow, y'all have been so helpful. I honestly hadn't thought about the possibility of widening somebody's jaw. Never crossed my mind as my first set of kids got their braces 15 years ago and nothing was as bad as these girls have now.

When sister 1 had her two baby "eye" teeth come out, her two front teeth were nice and straight. But now those adult eye teeth are coming in and I can see in just a few months how crooked her two front teeth are getting. I reasoned that putting her in braces early would mean catching the problem early before those two front teeth got really bad.

When you talk about spacers and taking them off at lunch time, it reminds me of retainers. Are they the same thing?

Sister 2 had nice gaps in her baby teeth and I could see she probably would not have much of a problems. But Sister 1 had perfectly side-by-side baby teeth which, of course, meant her adults would be too close.

I'll definitely do some more research very quickly. We have dental insurance but I'm guessing braces are rarely covered by insurance.

Thank you so much. I tried to rep all of you but have to spread the luv. I think I rep the same folks over and over. A great helpful community here. That's for sure.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
The widening of the jaw. THAT was someting that needed to be done on my son sooner than his actual braces. His bite was a bit off due to a slight receeding chin. That was a quick fix, not a full few years of braces. I think he was in them for about 6 months. Then when he was older and lost most of his baby teeth, he got the long-term braces. So, while it's true that it's USUALLY best to wait until they are older, there are often little things that can be fixed while they are younger that don't require a full years worth of braces the first time around.

If your dental insurance doesn't pay for baces, most orthos will let you make payments each month. I found the payment plans to be very reasonable.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM

8,012 posts, read 2,714,418 times
Quote:

When you talk about spacers and taking them off at lunch time, it reminds me of retainers. Are they the same thing?
Yes! That's what the dentist called them!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 PM

972 posts, read 2,077,057 times
Quote:
The space my son had was a plate in his upper mouth that was gradually widen over 6 months. It did not come out and was a pain to keep clean. After everything was removed, he had a retainer.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,536,664 times
I got braces when I was 10, so I don't think 8 is too young. The earlier the better, really.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Hopes please tell me how you pick only a portion of a previous post to put in the grey box. I usually end up quoting the entire post but it isn't always necessary. Many thanks. Also what are the differences in the 2 different quotes in the lower right hand corner and what is quick reply to this message. ease don't make me read the directions. I just hate to read directions or instructions. I'd rather bat my lashes and get somebody nice to explain it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting