U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times

Advertisements

First-time mother's trying to breastfed often worry that they do not produce enough milk, or that their baby isn't getting enough to eat - even though their babies are gaining weight and are very healthy.

So it seems logical that first-time mom's bottle feeding might overfeed their babies, also wanting to be sure their babies are getting enough to eat and wanting a healthy baby.

If bottle-feeding I'd try feeding your baby less, or changing formula's. If you are breastfeeding, change your diet.

Also - babies do not need anything but breastmilk (or formula) until about 6 months old. Their bodies simply are not ready for anything but milk until then (and some advocate waiting even longer). So if you're giving your baby other things this could be the cause of the troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,456,754 times
I also suffered through this with my first baby. She was on zantac but it didn't help too much... but I remember just feeling horrible for her as she'd cry in pain after she hate. She too gained weight sufficiently though.
We tried to hold her or place her elevated or upright for 30 minutes after eating; she slept on an incline for a while, and ate in smaller amounts. I'd have to carry around burp cloths all day because she's spit up or vomit large amounts all day. It was terrible, but it did end around 8 months and she started to feel better too.
Good luck....it will pass.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,257,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
I'm a first time mom with a 2 month old to has a feflux (spitting up) issue. Her pediatritian perscribed Zantac and said we should leave her is a sitting up position for a whole hour after she eats, but sometimes that doesn't even help. She spits up a lot, but she is gaining weight properly and she actualy thinks its funny when she does it. She laughs and giggles when shes done.Have any of you ever delt with an issue like this and do you have any tips?

I am a PNP - we recommend small, frequent feedings and keeping upright 30 minutes after feeding. If you put her in a car seat or bouncy chair after feeding, make sure that she doesn't puddle to the bottom and end up all squished because that can worsen reflux.

All of this typically gets better as babies get more trunk control around 5 - 7 months. At that time some babies begin solids (like rice cereal) which also helps reduce reflux.

For happy babies like your daughter, we often don't treat with antacids as that therapy is most effective for the babies who are fussy with their reflux.

Be cautious of advice to begin thickening her feedings with rice cereal too early. There really isn't any good data that says that significantly reduces spitting up and babies can have a tough time digesting cereal too early. Again, if she is a content baby, the less intervention, the better.

Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
All three of mine had it. We ended up changing formula's, soy seemed to work the best and two of them ended up taking the antacid. Good advice was already given by many others regarding keeping them upright, etc. As long as they are othersise healthy, I wouldn't be concerned. Just take heart that they do grow out of it.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Dreft. You need Dreft. It gets all the spit up stains out.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Dreft. You need Dreft. It gets all the spit up stains out.
Good stuff, my MIL still uses it on her own clothes.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 PM

574 posts, read 1,802,184 times
The pre-digested formulas and either sleeping in her carseat or on her tummy took care of it for our DD!

Nancy

Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
I am a pediatric nurse. Be aware that Zantac takes at least a week to start showing results. Also, Zantac will not help with the spitting up, just with the pain. Sometiems patience (I know, I don't have much myself) helps. One of our docs says that sitting the baby semi-upright, as the OP is doing, is sometimes more helpful than the med.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 AM

163 posts, read 338,011 times
Thank you everyone for the advice. We are continuing to sit her up after feedings and I'm going to try the smaller feedings to see if that helps. She is breastfed and only gets bottles of expressed milk while I'm at work. I am concerned that the Dr. told us to give her rice cereal in her bottles (1tbs per 2 ounces). Everywhere I turn, people are saying its to early for her to have rice cereal, but her pediatrician seems to think its ok....I think we are going to stop putting it in her bottles.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. We are continuing to sit her up after feedings and I'm going to try the smaller feedings to see if that helps. She is breastfed and only gets bottles of expressed milk while I'm at work. I am concerned that the Dr. told us to give her rice cereal in her bottles (1tbs per 2 ounces). Everywhere I turn, people are saying its to early for her to have rice cereal, but her pediatrician seems to think its ok....I think we are going to stop putting it in her bottles.
That is absurd. Find a new pediatrician who is better educated about breastfeeding. Check out La Leche League. A LL leader can probably help you find a better pediatrician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting