U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM

28,029 posts, read 19,700,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I never tried to keep my children contained in anything. I simply blocked off the bathrooms and kitchen with gates. They had free run of the rest of my baby-proofed house.
I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM

852 posts, read 1,138,391 times
We had a pack and play that we used as a mostly changing station/toy holder in the living room and as a crib when we went on trips. The only time I put my babies in it when I was home with them was when I had to go to the basement to put a load of laundry in the washer or switch one from washer to dryer. Same as Hopes, we just baby proofed the house and let our babies have free range.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,171,590 times
Quote:
You're probably having a hard time finding a used one because they're not popular.

I got one for my baby shower and I only used it to store toys.

I never put my children in a playpen. Nobody I know used playpens either.
I loved ours. My grandfather built it out of solid hardwood and it's possibly the only twin-proof playpen in existence. It's what allowed me to shower without fear that my son would be hanging from the ceiling fan when I got out, and to cook without worrying about little hands undoing baby latches. For the parent of a toddler hellbent on self-destruction, mayhem, and the collapse of the known world, it's a lifesaver, fashionable or not-- and now, visiting grandchildren sleep in it. I think there are the fang-marks of about fifteen children from three generations on the rails, at this point.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,171,590 times
Quote:
I never tried to keep my children contained in anything. I simply blocked off the bathrooms and kitchen with gates. They had free run of the rest of my baby-proofed house.
Sometimes it simply was necessary. It's not always an "either/or"; use of a playpen doesn't imply 24 hour incarceration. I had two children who were climbers (one of whom could undo baby latches before he could walk), and another who liked to eat books. With floor-to-ceiling shelves and the architectural quirks of an old house, there was plenty of opportunity for mayhem, and a limited amount that "babyproofing" (we referred to it as "Tim-proofing", which was babyproofing to the Nth power) could help.

As for baby gates, the argument could be made that that's also containment, just in a larger cage. (I used one of those, too, at the top of the stairs. Seemed foolish to let them tumble downstairs if it could be prevented.)

I figure if nothing else the playpen was good practice for when I made them stay in the cart rather than wandering the grocery store or Target.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,918,929 times
We live in a rental so putting up gates and babyproofing everything isn't that simple. I don't mind him going in the pack and play for a few minutes here and there when I'm cleaning or cooking or something. He actually naps in it too during the day.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,409,372 times
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any on my craigslist. This would be for a dog at night, and I know they can rip or chew the sides. Just wanted to see what was out there. I'll bookmark this!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,740,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any on my craigslist. This would be for a dog at night, and I know they can rip or chew the sides. Just wanted to see what was out there. I'll bookmark this!
Guess he/she won't be needing the plastic one with the toddler toys attached then!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,522,852 times
I loved the pack and play, when ever I went travelling, I always took that with me for the baby to sleep in, and be safe, did not want my baby crawling around a hotel room floor...I also used it at the beach, when I went to the park, and the pool, that way the baby was fine, while the other kids played. I used it for all of mine. I did not even buy a crib for the last one, just used the pack and play, and then onto a regular bed when she was 2.5. (she was a "oops" baby!)...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,916,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Suggest getting an appropriately sized crate, not a "playpen" for a dog. I picked up a really nice one for less than half-price on Craigslist that was in like new condition. It saved me $60!

Depending on the size of the dog there are small-medium exercise pens that can be set up indoors or out too.
Search Results for exercise pen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting