U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah, my "room" is a music room....I'll have fun moving back into there while my brother screams about how I am ruining him life, I'd be better off cuddling with the spiders and insulation in the nasty cold recently flooded unfinished basement....which my mom wants me to do!!
Then you better move into the nasty cold recently flooded unfinished basement if you want your life to be peaceful while you are staying there.

You don't have the luxury of calling the shots. You are a guest in her home---more now than ever because you moved out.

Just consider yourself lucky she took you back into the house. She didn't have to do that.

Get yourself and your stuff out from underfoot and move into the nasty basement.

This is a temporary place to stay. How long you can stay there will depend on how much of a pain in the butt you are.

Quit complaining and move into the basement.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,929,045 times
Well from this Mom, if you were my daughter I would expect you to help out and as just a general courtesy I would like to know where you are going, just in case you don't come home I have an idea of what to tell the police in case you go missing.

If you want things your own way then you need to move out, you can't expect to move into someone's home and get what you want, I don't care how old you are. Flying under the radar wouldn't fly in my home.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 AM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
By now, you know what is going to upset your mother, so while you are living under her roof, don't do those things. Period. Simple.

You should not be worried about when you can have sex and how drunk you can get.
You should be worried about these things:
Working as much as possible.
Saving money.
Getting an education.
Having healthy and MATURE relationships.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM

2,788 posts, read 4,236,551 times
Quote:
What can a parent control with their adult child who lives at home?
What rules can they place down?

Can they tell them if they can date?
Can they tell them if they can or can't spend the night at a bf/gf's house?
Can they make it mandatory that they sleep in their own bed every night and not out at a friends or bf/gf's?
Do parents have to be informed of whereabouts etc?

Or do the rules only extend what goes on in the house?

I'm asking because I am back home.
I do spend the night at his house.
I do leave whenever and typically briefly give something like I am going out be back later.

She hasn't said anything yet mostly she doesn't want my friends over, only person who is allowed in the house is him.
She just wants me to pick up after myself.

However I want to be very private about what I do and where I go and I want it to be like I don't even exist for the short time I am here.

Plain and simple I don't want things to end up like before.
I want to keep my stuff clean and out of the way like I am not even here and fly under the radar as much as possible.
I don't like to share my personal business either.

Mommies...how do I fly under the radar like I need to?

If you dont want NO rules
move out, get your own place, pay your own bills

Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,671,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
If you dont want NO rules
move out, get your own place, pay your own bills

She just did that remember?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my "room" is a music room....I'll have fun moving back into there while my brother screams about how I am ruining him life, I'd be better off cuddling with the spiders and insulation in the nasty cold recently flooded unfinished basement....which my mom wants me to do!!

So who cares if he is going to be upset? If it's your room move into it and tell him to kiss an offending part of your body.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Ask your mom where she prefers you to be. Talk to her as an adult and in a respectful manner showing that you know the situation isn't ideal but that you're grateful she's helping you out. Offer to take on some chore that she doesn't like (emptying trash, doing dishes, cleaning up after the dog...whatever) then be sure to do it on a regular schedule. She's less likely to be a PITA if having you around benefits her in some way...

Otherwise, her rules are her rules. And it's her house. If it is going to start drama, avoid spending the night elsewhere or being obvious about your personal business. No need to throw things in her face. Just smile, be grateful you have someplace to live, sock away your money and make plans.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ask your mom where she prefers you to be. Talk to her as an adult and in a respectful manner showing that you know the situation isn't ideal but that you're grateful she's helping you out. Offer to take on some chore that she doesn't like (emptying trash, doing dishes, cleaning up after the dog...whatever) then be sure to do it on a regular schedule. She's less likely to be a PITA if having you around benefits her in some way...

Otherwise, her rules are her rules. And it's her house. If it is going to start drama, avoid spending the night elsewhere or being obvious about your personal business. No need to throw things in her face. Just smile, be grateful you have someplace to live, sock away your money and make plans.

I would so rep you if i could

Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,035,343 times
Acting like an adult will increase your chances of being treated like an adult.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Be glad you have a place you can go home too...some people don't have that option. If I was out of work, and had no money, I would probably be homeless...

Last edited by jasper12; 01-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting