U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually Fin, my friend, my buddy, my mate, I don't think anyone notices your teeth. Pretty sure your aura (how's that for LA talk?) is such that people only revel in your coolness and goodness.

Also pretty sure Little Miss Fin will be the same way.
Yes, that's it, entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I suppose I'm worried about being thought shallow. As for uniqueness, well, there's already something striking about my appearance, and I'll just leave it at that.
No worries. I think everybody has a right to an opinion about it. But I think you bring up a good point. If I thought this was going to be something in a long line of things that my child could potentially hate about herself, then that would be one thing, and I'd do whatever I could to correct it.

Not to sound like a bragging mommy, but I really don't think she's going to have anything to complain about in the appearance department, and my belief is that a little imperfection never hurt anybody and keeps one humble. I realize that she may feel totally different about that, however, and it's not me we're talking about. I appreciate you being forthright, that's kinda why I asked in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, that's it, entirely.

No worries. I think everybody has a right to an opinion about it. But I think you bring up a good point. If I thought this was going to be something in a long line of things that my child could potentially hate about herself, then that would be one thing, and I'd do whatever I could to correct it.

Not to sound like a bragging mommy, but I really don't think she's going to have anything to complain about in the appearance department, and my belief is that a little imperfection never hurt anybody and keeps one humble. I realize that she may feel totally different about that, however, and it's not me we're talking about. I appreciate you being forthright, that's kinda why I asked in the first place.
My striking thing, and my kids', might be something you share if my memory of your posting history is accurate. It's not something that detracts from our looks, but it does make us stand out in a crowd, especially when we're all together!

Anyway, the tooth thing is subjective. Having braces did not make me want to change every little thing that dissatisfied me about my appearance, but it did boost my confidence. I don't regret my braces, and I don't think my kids will either.

I'm sure you do have a beautiful child, and I truly don't think of a gap without a corresponding serious structural issue as a deformity. As has already been pointed out, there are lots of gorgeous people with gaps. Therefore, I think you should follow your gut. If it seems like the right thing to do and your child wants it, then do it. If not, then hold off. What the rest of us would do is irrelevant.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My striking thing, and my kids', might be something you share if my memory of your posting history is accurate. It's not something that detracts from our looks, but it does make us stand out in a crowd, especially when we're all together!

Anyway, the tooth thing is subjective. Having braces did not make me want to change every little thing that dissatisfied me about my appearance, but it did boost my confidence. I don't regret my braces, and I don't think my kids will either.

I'm sure you do have a beautiful child, and I truly don't think of a gap without a corresponding serious structural issue as a deformity. As has already been pointed out, there are lots of gorgeous people with gaps. Therefore, I think you should follow your gut. If it seems like the right thing to do and your child wants it, then do it. If not, then hold off. What the rest of us would do is irrelevant.
Yep, I totally agree with you. I like to get a feel of how the land lies, though. I don't want to be somebody that thinks their own opinion is always law, when we all know times change and that that was fine when I was a kid is not fine now. Thanks for your perspective.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,914,544 times
I did not read all the replies, so sorry if someone else said something similar. My daughter needed braces (not just for the space in her front teeth). The orthodontist did something one appointment to pull her front two teeth together. One day she had a space between her teeth. She woke up the next morning without the space. It was gone that quickly. If she has good teeth, I don't think it will be an expensive ordeal or very painful one either. She would probably have to have the braces on for several months to make sure her teeth don't go back to its original spot. Just the other day, she told me she was glad the space was gone. She did not like her space and she had a fairly large space too. I would see how she feels about the space. Like some have said, if as an adult she decides to change it, she can deal with the expense of it.

Just for ha-ha's, maybe take her to the orthodontist for his opinion and see how much it would cost. Maybe her regular dentist would do it since it is just a simple fix. My daughter's pediatric dentist does some orthodontal work, but my daughter's teeth were too difficult.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,633,030 times
i had a gap, it slowly grew together on it own. Kids made fun of me but i didnt need braces for it.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:05 PM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
After reading the American Doll thread, where much ado was made regarding the gap in the doll's front teeth, I was wondering how many parents would get this "fixed" if their child had one.

I have one, and my mother had one, so it's quite likely my dd will have one too. I never thought it was a flaw, as such, but I'm wondering if it will be considered one these days, and whether we should consider it on the same level as other cosmetic issues fixed by braces. It's unlikely dd will need braces for any other issues, so this would be the only reason to go the orthodontic route. Do you think it's worth it?

Just for reference, I'm talking about a Madonna/Anna Paquin/Lauren Hutton size gap - not something that's likely to make her feel socially unacceptable.
I had a big gap for years in my front teeth until a teenager and once my back teeth all came in it pushed them together... Id wait.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I had a big gap for years in my front teeth until a teenager and once my back teeth all came in it pushed them together... Id wait.
As far as the timing, ask the dentist. The dentist himself recommended fixing my daughter's gap by capping her teeth sometime in her teens. This was a while ago now, maybe close to 20 years ago, so they probably have some better methods these days.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As far as the timing, ask the dentist. The dentist himself recommended fixing my daughter's gap by capping her teeth sometime in her teens. This was a while ago now, maybe close to 20 years ago, so they probably have some better methods these days.
thanks katarina but they all sorted themselves out perfectly thank god...

Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Quote:
After reading the American Doll thread, where much ado was made regarding the gap in the doll's front teeth, I was wondering how many parents would get this "fixed" if their child had one.

I have one, and my mother had one, so it's quite likely my dd will have one too. I never thought it was a flaw, as such, but I'm wondering if it will be considered one these days, and whether we should consider it on the same level as other cosmetic issues fixed by braces. It's unlikely dd will need braces for any other issues, so this would be the only reason to go the orthodontic route. Do you think it's worth it?

Just for reference, I'm talking about a Madonna/Anna Paquin/Lauren Hutton size gap - not something that's likely to make her feel socially unacceptable.
My husband has a bit of a gap and I like it. He has nice straight teeth with a little front gap. None of our kids do, though. If my child were really embarrassed I would seriously consider it. I was a skinny kid and teased about my big nose and ears, so I'd sympathize. But I find gapped teeth, freckles, interesting eyebrows and other quirks charming, and I hope I'd help my child love his or her quirks.

Oh my! This thread is five years old. Hahaha ... sorry Fin.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
No, I probably wouldn't put them through the whole process, which can be painful. And expensive!
Had the procedure performed when I was around 7 yrs old, NOT painful at all. A very quick and simple procedure. Of course, there are some dentists who want to go to the extreme and charge a fortune for such a simple procedure and attempt to convince people it's a major surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or