U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2011, 03:51 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Reputation: 25990

Advertisements

I could not believe this, I was watching "America's next Top Model" and they actually FILED a larger gap on a woman's teeth to make her look BETTER! I literally could not believe it. Sort of a Lauren Hutton thing,...So, maybe it should not be fixed. I guess it is very chic to have a gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2011, 03:55 PM
 
917 posts, read 1,702,306 times
Reputation: 700
Yes I would. I have a gap and I wish I could have gotten mine fixed when I was younger. Now that I'm older I don't want braces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 AM
 
1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
After reading the American Doll thread, where much ado was made regarding the gap in the doll's front teeth, I was wondering how many parents would get this "fixed" if their child had one.

I have one, and my mother had one, so it's quite likely my dd will have one too. I never thought it was a flaw, as such, but I'm wondering if it will be considered one these days, and whether we should consider it on the same level as other cosmetic issues fixed by braces. It's unlikely dd will need braces for any other issues, so this would be the only reason to go the orthodontic route. Do you think it's worth it?

Just for reference, I'm talking about a Madonna/Anna Paquin/Lauren Hutton size gap - not something that's likely to make her feel socially unacceptable.
I am going to be very honest...And I will sound very superficial...but here it goes...
First of all it is not my fault, my mother has always had a thing with teeth, so I inherited it as well..I am trying to break free from it but it is hard..
I never had a "Diastema" which is the formal name for a gap between the two front teeth and yes this is inherited..
But my eye teeth grew from the top and my teeth were not completely straight so yes I had braces for 4 years and I feel great about it now..
My son is 14...he has his eye teeth growing from the top of his baby teeth that have not fallen out yet, he has a appt. next week to get these baby teeth pulled and see if the eye teeth settle correctly, if not he knows that braces are the next step...
So yes I would do braces if it were my child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,087 times
Reputation: 10
Yes and it is better fixed young just like a cleft palate. If it can be fixed, I'll fix it and if not teach my child how to learn to live with it. Luckily none of my children have ever had to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
Reputation: 19847
I had a gap in my front teeth as a teen, but now as an old fossil, it has since closed up over the years, go figure, i can just about put floss thru it.
I actually like when people have a slight flaw in thier teeth, I hate perfect bluish bright white fake looking teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
799 posts, read 1,591,401 times
Reputation: 410
I had a small one and was very self conscious about it....had braces and got it fixed along with some other minor crookedness. My mom was a dental hygienist and had braces as an adult (as well as to fix a jaw that popped out). I have a teeth thing. Even when dating a nice smile/nice teeth were the 1st thing I noticed.

Now the fake bright white look that is popular now bugs me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave_new_girl View Post
Yes and it is better fixed young just like a cleft palate. If it can be fixed, I'll fix it and if not teach my child how to learn to live with it. Luckily none of my children have ever had to deal with it.
OK. I understand teens being somewhat sensitive about any perceived "flaw" in their appearance. I understand adults being attracted/turned off by certain physical characteristics.

I don't understand a small gap in the front teeth being compared to a cleft palate, or being looked at as something somebody has to "learn to live with", or even something you have to "deal with".

I'm a bit surprised it's really that big a deal, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,542 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Reputation: 57189
My daughter chose to have her gap closed with bonding when she was a teenager. As an adult, the bonding became a bit discolored, so she had it removed. It looks perfectly fine and as she has grown older, the gap is much narrower anyway.
My point is, if I bothers the person they can have it fixed in a way that is reversible later if they change their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My daughter chose to have her gap closed with bonding when she was a teenager. As an adult, the bonding became a bit discolored, so she had it removed. It looks perfectly fine and as she has grown older, the gap is much narrower anyway.
My point is, if I bothers the person they can have it fixed in a way that is reversible later if they change their mind.
Thanks, that's an interesting alternative. At least if she's self conscious as a teen it could be a good temp measure.

The expense and discomfort of braces seems like overkill if there is a less invasive route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
 
1,228 posts, read 1,500,459 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
After reading the American Doll thread, where much ado was made regarding the gap in the doll's front teeth, I was wondering how many parents would get this "fixed" if their child had one.

I have one, and my mother had one, so it's quite likely my dd will have one too. I never thought it was a flaw, as such, but I'm wondering if it will be considered one these days, and whether we should consider it on the same level as other cosmetic issues fixed by braces. It's unlikely dd will need braces for any other issues, so this would be the only reason to go the orthodontic route. Do you think it's worth it?

Just for reference, I'm talking about a Madonna/Anna Paquin/Lauren Hutton size gap - not something that's likely to make her feel socially unacceptable.

YES! my parents did and i am so glad that it was done! Its annoying when you eat and embarrasing at times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top