Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,351,590 times

Advertisements

let the child decide its there teeth not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,690,836 times
Yes, I would.

I always had a gap as well an extra tooth that loosen but went back solidly in place. As well as a sorta crooked lineup on side row of teeth as well.. People would always comment about my gap in school. Had all sorta nicknames about it. I became real self conscious about it. Rarely smiled because I hated it so much. Got into high school and I asked my parents about braces. They assumed, it was too expensive but they never looked in to it.

Soon as I turned 18 and I worked a few months, first thing, I did was go to an orthodontist. Went on the 2 year plan and I got my teeth fixed gap and crookedness overall.

I would smile for days and days after my braces came off and I constantly get compliments about my teeth today. It is funny how I look back at our photo albums and you will see that I don't smile because I didn't want to show off my teeth.

If you can afford it, get it bonded, braces or whatever but don't let your child suffer because you don't think that a cosmetic flaw is a major issue. It is and it does affect them even if they don't tell you.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yes, I would.

I always had a gap as well an extra tooth that loosen but went back solidly in place. As well as a sorta crooked lineup on side row of teeth as well.. People would always comment about my gap in school. Had all sorta nicknames about it. I became real self conscious about it. Rarely smiled because I hated it so much. Got into high school and I asked my parents about braces. They assumed, it was too expensive but they never looked in to it.

Soon as I turned 18 and I worked a few months, first thing, I did was go to an orthodontist. Went on the 2 year plan and I got my teeth fixed gap and crookedness overall.

I would smile for days and days after my braces came off and I constantly get compliments about my teeth today. It is funny how I look back at our photo albums and you will see that I don't smile because I didn't want to show off my teeth.

If you can afford it, get it bonded, braces or whatever but don't let your child suffer because you don't think that a cosmetic flaw is a major issue. It is and it does affect them even if they don't tell you.
Thanks for your post, that's very enlightening. Please don't get me wrong, in no way do I think cosmetic flaws are not an issue. I'm interested in gauging what the general thought about this particular characteristic is.

I see you went through a lot - but your experience is far different from mine. Nobody has ever even mentioned my gap, let alone made fun of me for it. So it's great to hear from people who are a bit younger than I am, and that have grown up in America.

I have no intentions of letting my child suffer, which is one of the reasons I started this thread. But there's also a balance between getting every "imperfection" fixed and inadvertently teaching a child that any differences are to be eradicated, and that superficiality is paramount, and leaving it and teaching a child that they are greater human beings than the freckle on their nose or the birthmark on their shoulder.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Yes, I probably would. All of my children have had braces, as have I. (ducking and running for cover now.)

Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Yes, I probably would. All of my children have had braces, as have I. [I](ducking and running for cover now.)[/i]
Why? There's nothing wrong with having braces. I just always thought braces were to correct pretty major problems, not minor imperfections. Are we just putting braces on as a matter of course now? (not directed at you, just wondering). Have we gotten to the point where any individuality in appearance is not welcome?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Fin, teeth are very important in this country. Parents take second jobs to pay for braces. It's why one of our national pastimes is making fun of British teeth.

I'd get it fixed. No big deal. Braces or caps or whatever the dentist recommends.

But then you know I'm from L.A. and totally warped in my viewpoint. Even the pool guy gets veneers.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
That's how you can differentiate between British and US movies these days, look at the actors teeth!

I'm not actually sure what I would do for purely cosmetic issues. One of my dearest friends has a huge gap, and I always thought it was quite endearing, and just her. DS has braces, but that's because he has horse-sized teeth, and nowhere for them to reside.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fin, teeth are very important in this country. Parents take second jobs to pay for braces. It's why one of our national pastimes is making fun of British teeth.

I'd get it fixed. No big deal. Braces or caps or whatever the dentist recommends.

But then you know I'm from L.A. and totally warped in my viewpoint. Even the pool guy gets veneers.
Yeah, it's looking like it'll lean that way. There seems to be other options rather than a full 4 years or whatever of braces, which just seems like a ridiculous amount of expense and discomfort.

I'm a bit leery of braces for such a small reason, if you haven't noticed. I think it's a bit of a racket, great for orthodontists, bad for parents who can barely afford college. If it came to that choice for us, college will win, though. Obviously if there's other issues, apart from a small gap, then we'll deal with those too.

BTW, everyone makes fun of British teeth. Having lived both here and there - I can safely say it's not really warranted.

Good thing I have pretty strong self esteem. I had no idea I was so hideous to so many. Oh well, when in Rome I guess.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Good thing I have pretty strong self esteem. I had no idea I was so hideous to so many. Oh well, when in Rome I guess.
Actually Fin, my friend, my buddy, my mate, I don't think anyone notices your teeth. Pretty sure your aura (how's that for LA talk?) is such that people only revel in your coolness and goodness.

Also pretty sure Little Miss Fin will be the same way.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why? There's nothing wrong with having braces. I just always thought braces were to correct pretty major problems, not minor imperfections. Are we just putting braces on as a matter of course now? (not directed at you, just wondering). Have we gotten to the point where any individuality in appearance is not welcome?
I suppose I'm worried about being thought shallow. As for uniqueness, well, there's already something striking about my appearance, and I'll just leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting