U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,167,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Of course, but that doesn't take the nagging voice out of your head when you go to get these things done. And to make fun of people because they're concerned about it like they're just idiots is annoying to me, because you can't compare your parents getting you vaccinated 40 years ago to the amount of vaccines and related news about them that you take in these days - people did not have the amount of info that needs to be debunked now, then.

You (general you) can also say in hindsight, "how ridiculous, how could people have fallen for that" and in the same breath not be able to tell parents what really is causing the spike in autism dx. People were worried, and understandably so, and have spent many needless nights sifting through endless different sources trying to figure out the right thing to do for their kids.

To then say well "duh" to them is pretty sanctimonious and, quite frankly, irritating.
Mmmm...kay, but the implication that it's potentially better to be dead from pertussis than to be autistic is a little itchy, too. So how about we all put on our big girl panties (or big boy pants) and resolve not to take offense at one another's choices so easily?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How could you not question things being injected into your child's body?
The same way countless parents don't question the Happy Meals they let little Isabella snarf down-- or for that matter, the genetics that went into producing their partner's weird Uncle Bob.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Gluten free seems to be the new cure all. I'm not sure what to think of it.
It lets people feel in control of something that, overall, they have no control over. As snake oil goes, it's relatively harmless, unlike chelation and megadoses of certain supplements.

What I've observed in our local parenting group is that no matter what age diagnosis comes, at about nine or ten most parents seem to go through another huge crisis. It's when it finally occurs to a lot of people that the kid you have is the kid you have, and you're not going to get a miracle cure no matter how much Vitameatavegamin you feed him.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
You might consider it crap but lots of people have had success with gluten free diets. I'm not saying it works for everyone but it does for some. If it were my child, I'd try everything I could to help them. To each their own.
Eek.
This could be construed to suggest that anyone who doesn't chase every fad that comes down the pike isn't sufficiently interested in fixing poor little broken Johnny. I'm assuming that's not where you were going, but you used exactly the phrase that a number of people use who do mean just that.
Suffice to say that we all love our children and want what's best for them, even if we don't believe that <insert Miracle Cure here> is particularly useful.
Just...y'know...so you're aware, should the subject come up again.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post

All the chemicals people use every day. But then, people would have to take personal responsibility for what happens to their children.
The problem with pinpointing One Definite Answer is that there are far too many sets of multiples wandering around wherein one twin or triplet is autistic, and the others are not. Household chemicals, vaccines, any cause which applies to both children simply cannot account for that.
Genetic studies have shown some probable links-- but one would assume even that stands in combination with multiple external and biological triggers.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Mmmm...kay, but the implication that it's potentially better to be dead from pertussis than to be autistic is a little itchy, too. So how about we all put on our big girl panties (or big boy pants) and resolve not to take offense at one another's choices so easily?
Where did I say it was potentially better to be dead? I said it was worrying to have to make a decision that is good for your child's health in one way - but, with all of the misinformation floating around at the time - had the potential to have a devastating effect in another way.

I wasn't taking offense at anybody's choices. I was taking offense at the implication that parents who agonized over this decision were stupid - because, according to the people who are poking fun - if people got vaccinated 40 years ago and didn't get autism then, obviously, it has no bearing on the dx now.

But if it's that cut and dried, to the point where parents were being dumb for worrying about it, then why did the AAP and the CDC pressure vaccine manufacturers to stop making vaccines with Thimerosal in 2001? It wasn't just "gullible" parents that looked into this, it was respected government agencies and medical bodies as well. And if it wasn't "obvious" enough to them that vaccines have no bearing on the autism dx, then it wasn't obvious enough for me to blow it off without a care.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM

21,557 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
But if it's that cut and dried, to the point where parents were being dumb for worrying about it, then why did the AAP and the CDC pressure vaccine manufacturers to stop making vaccines with Thimerosal in 2001? It wasn't just "gullible" parents that looked into this, it was respected government agencies and medical bodies as well. And if it wasn't "obvious" enough to them that vaccines have no bearing on the autism dx, then it wasn't obvious enough for me to blow it off without a care.
I think that the link between autism and vaccines was never felt to be real by the people who study vaccines every day. The decision to remove thimerosal was not based on science. It was purely driven by the drop in vaccination rates. The hope was that removing thimerosal would relieve parents' fears and that they would resume vaccinating. By then, however, the anti-vax crowd had gone from saying the MMR is evil to saying all vaccines are evil and if thimerosal was not the culprit something else in the vaccine was. Then, in order to seem scientific, the anti-vaxers added in pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo like "too many vaccines at one time." "Too many shots overwhelms the immune system" is a theory without scientific basis that was concocted out of thin air. To some folks it sounds like "common sense", but it just is not true. No wonder intelligent parents had a hard time deciding what to do.

If I were a parent whose child was injured by a vaccine preventable illness because I believed what Mercola and the like said, I would be dialing up a lawyer. No doubt he will be saying, "When I told you not to vaccinate your child I was not giving medical advice." Wonder if a jury would believe that.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,146,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Eek.
This could be construed to suggest that anyone who doesn't chase every fad that comes down the pike isn't sufficiently interested in fixing poor little broken Johnny. I'm assuming that's not where you were going, but you used exactly the phrase that a number of people use who do mean just that.
Suffice to say that we all love our children and want what's best for them, even if we don't believe that <insert Miracle Cure here> is particularly useful.
Just...y'know...so you're aware, should the subject come up again.
You're right, you're reading way too much into my post. On that same note, why do people feel it's necessary to ridicule or look down upon parents who want to try "alternative treatments"? Those parents also love their children and want what's best for them, just as the parents who are not interested in said "treatment" love their children and want what is best for them. I believe that the vast majority of parents have their children's best interest at heart and the judgement coming from both sides is counterproductive at best.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think that the link between autism and vaccines was never felt to be real by the people who study vaccines every day. The decision to remove thimerosal was not based on science. It was purely driven by the drop in vaccination rates. The hope was that removing thimerosal would relieve parents' fears and that they would resume vaccinating. By then, however, the anti-vax crowd had gone from saying the MMR is evil to saying all vaccines are evil and if thimerosal was not the culprit something else in the vaccine was. Then, in order to seem scientific, the anti-vaxers added in pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo like "too many vaccines at one time." "Too many shots overwhelms the immune system" is a theory without scientific basis that was concocted out of thin air. To some folks it sounds like "common sense", but it just is not true. No wonder intelligent parents had a hard time deciding what to do.

If I were a parent whose child was injured by a vaccine preventable illness because I believed what Mercola and the like said, I would be dialing up a lawyer. No doubt he will be saying, "When I told you not to vaccinate your child I was not giving medical advice." Wonder if a jury would believe that.
Thank you for providing thoughtful and well informed comments on the issue. And thank you for getting my point.

I'm not a fan of law suits, but if you take a look at this website and see the inflammatory language that is used in his topic titles, I think it would be hard to not find him at the very least grossly irresponsible for scaring parents to this degree. I'm not sure if it's against the law, but it sure is reprehensible.

Eg of article title:
Refuse This Routine Procedure - Or Expose Your Baby's Brain to Severe Danger...

Vaccine News and Information from Dr. Joseph Mercola

Old 01-09-2011, 11:27 AM

21,557 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
Thank you for providing thoughtful and well informed comments on the issue. And thank you for getting my point.

I'm not a fan of law suits, but if you take a look at this website and see the inflammatory language that is used in his topic titles, I think it would be hard to not find him at the very least grossly irresponsible for scaring parents to this degree. I'm not sure if it's against the law, but it sure is reprehensible.

Eg of article title:
Refuse This Routine Procedure - Or Expose Your Baby's Brain to Severe Danger...

Vaccine News and Information from Dr. Joseph Mercola

I love it that you have to "subscribe" in order to actually read the articles. Perhaps Illinois will see fit to yank Mercola's license the way England did Wakefield's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting