U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,908,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yes but scientists understand how Hep B is transmitted and as of yet they say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is transmitted via saliva to saliva contact. If they thought there could be more of a chance I would think that they would put that information out there via the CDC. Don't you?
I don't want to second guess the CDC. I think they like to talk in terms that are very provable. If 1/3 of cases have no known transmission source, that means there is a lot we don't know yet about Hep B transmission.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,926,422 times
Quote:
Yes but scientists understand how Hep B is transmitted and as of yet they say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is transmitted via saliva to saliva contact. If they thought there could be more of a chance I would think that they would put that information out there via the CDC. Don't you?
Cut in the mouth? Bleeding gums? A child that loses a tooth, plays his/her instrument then passes it on to someone else.

This question may be beyond the scope of this thread, but if there was a vax for HIV, would you wait until you were sure your child was of a sexually active age?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,146,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't want to second guess the CDC. I think they like to talk in terms that are very provable. If 1/3 of cases have no known transmission source, that means there is a lot we don't know yet about Hep B transmission.
If you don't want to second guess the CDC then can we agree that their claim that it is highly unlikely that Hep B is transmitted via saliva is most likely true?

I've noticed that when there is a possibility of something, the CDC will provide further information. For example there is anecdotal evidence that the Hep B vaccine may trigger things like MS and rheumatoid arthritis in genetically susceptible individuals. The CDC notes this and then goes on to say that currently there is no evidence of this and that research is underway to further explore this theory.

If they thought that Hep B transmission was possibly causing the 16-30% of cases of unknown transmissions via saliva wouldn't they say something to the effect of , "although science currently shows that Hep B is not likely to be spread via saliva, anecdotal evidence supports that it may be a possible transmission pathway. Research is underway to explore this possible link." But they don't. They just say that it is highly unlikely and leave it that.

If you believe what the CDC says and don't want to second guess them then I would think that you would agree that saliva is a very unlikely source of transmission.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Cut in the mouth? Bleeding gums? A child that loses a tooth, plays his/her instrument then passes it on to someone else.

This question may be beyond the scope of this thread, but if there was a vax for HIV, would you wait until you were sure your child was of a sexually active age?
A cut in the mouth and bleeding gums both involve transmission via blood, not saliva. That is why they say that Hep B can be spread via sharing toothbrushes since sometimes people cut their mouth or their gums bleed when brushing. Saliva alone has not been shown to transmit Hep B. If blood is involved then that's different since blood is a known pathway.

I'm not going to answer the question regarding whether I would vaccinate for HIV but I can tell you that I don't live in fear of it. HIV is spread in the same way as Hep B. Are you fearful of contracting HIV?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to second guess the CDC then can we agree that their claim that it is highly unlikely that Hep B is transmitted via saliva is most likely true?

I've noticed that when there is a possibility of something, the CDC will provide further information. For example there is anecdotal evidence that the Hep B vaccine may trigger things like MS and rheumatoid arthritis in genetically susceptible individuals. The CDC notes this and then goes on to say that currently there is no evidence of this and that research is underway to further explore this theory.

If they thought that Hep B transmission was possibly causing the 16-30% of cases of unknown transmissions via saliva wouldn't they say something to the effect of , "although science currently shows that Hep B is not likely to be spread via saliva, anecdotal evidence supports that it may be a possible transmission pathway. Research is underway to explore this possible link." But they don't. They just say that it is highly unlikely and leave it that.

If you believe what the CDC says and don't want to second guess them then I would think that you would agree that saliva is a very unlikely source of transmission.
You can try to put words in my mouth, but I'm not playing.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
You can try to put words in my mouth, but I'm not playing.
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. You said that you don't like to second guess the CDC and since that's what they have to say on the matter I don't know what it is you are trying to argue about.

I am stepping out of this conversation because I know that it will just go the way of all CD immunization threads. Absolutely Nowhere!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. You said that you don't like to second guess the CDC and since that's what they have to say on the matter I don't know what it is you are trying to argue about.

I am stepping out of this conversation because I know that it will just go the way of all CD immunization threads. Absolutely Nowhere!
Seems to me that you're the one trying to argue a) about saliva being a possible cause of Hepatitis B; and b) that there aren't any cases with no known transmission source. Nice projection!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Seems to me that you're the one trying to argue a) about saliva being a possible cause of Hepatitis B; and b) that there aren't any cases with no known transmission source. Nice projection!
No, I'm not saying either one of those things. I have no idea how you came to either one of those conclusion based on my posts.

All along I've been saying the exact same thing as the CDC which is: saliva is an unlikely source of transmission for Hep B. I have openly acknowledged that there are between 16%-30% of cases of Hep B with an unknown origin, twice in this thread. It's no wonder we are having difficulty communicating with one another. You have no idea as to what I've even said. I believe it is you who are projecting.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not saying either one of those things. I have no idea how you came to either one of those conclusion based on my posts.

All along I've been saying the exact same thing as the CDC which is: saliva is an unlikely source of transmission for Hep B. I have openly acknowledged that there are between 16%-30% of cases of Hep B with an unknown origin, twice in this thread. It's no wonder we are having difficulty communicating with one another. You have no idea as to what I've even said. I believe it is you who are projecting.
I said we were arguing about those issues, not that those were your postitions.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I said we were arguing about those issues, not that those were your postitions.
This is what you said:
Quote:
Please try and refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-09-2011 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting