U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
 
15,307 posts, read 16,863,154 times
Reputation: 15029

Advertisements

It has been known for a long time that the study was flawed. Wakefield is dishonest and that was known as well, just not the extent of his dishonesty. Of course, when he was kicked out of the medical society in the UK, he came to Texas. He was recently forced out of Thoughtful House in Austin, but he gets speaking engagements here. He is coming to Houston in February with Dan Olmsted
(the reporter who did flawed research on the Amish and autism) to speak on the subject and he still defends his positions.

 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
 
27,995 posts, read 19,672,986 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It has been known for a long time that the study was flawed. Wakefield is dishonest and that was known as well, just not the extent of his dishonesty. Of course, when he was kicked out of the medical society in the UK, he came to Texas. He was recently forced out of Thoughtful House in Austin, but he gets speaking engagements here. He is coming to Houston in February with Dan Olmsted
(the reporter who did flawed research on the Amish and autism) to speak on the subject and he still defends his positions.
How can he defend a lie?
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,973,852 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can he defend a lie?
Ask Dan Rather.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
 
Location: California
29,633 posts, read 31,948,941 times
Reputation: 24760
Yes, it has been known for many years now. I'm not sure why it's getting publicity again today.

Jenny McCartney now says her son never had autism but some other condition.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
 
15,307 posts, read 16,863,154 times
Reputation: 15029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes, it has been known for many years now. I'm not sure why it's getting publicity again today.

Jenny McCartney now says her son never had autism but some other condition.
Doctors also said that. Even in the beginning, her son's seizures were not typical of autism. His first presentation was epilepsy. It is not even certain that her child ever had autism; neurologists have pointed out that her description of the symptoms, and recovery, are more consistent with a rare disorder, Landau-Kleffner Syndrome.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
Reputation: 20198
I got some accurate research on autism:

I was vaccinated. I never ate brussels sprouts. I don't have autism.

Therefore: if you want to prevent autism, get vaccinated and don't eat brussels sprouts.

Unless I'm misdiagnosed as "not having autism." In which case, it's probably because of the fumes in the carpet when we had the floor replaced when I was a kid.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 AM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 7,936,891 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonchick View Post
i got some accurate research on autism:

I was vaccinated. I never ate brussels sprouts. I don't have autism.

Therefore: If you want to prevent autism, get vaccinated and don't eat brussels sprouts.

Unless i'm misdiagnosed as "not having autism." in which case, it's probably because of the fumes in the carpet when we had the floor replaced when i was a kid.
thanks for the laugh this morning
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,731,674 times
Reputation: 11008
You know, everyone can get real snarky about parents who had their babies in the 10 years or so, and have been concerned about this, and have your fun doing it - but if you were a new parent in these times, when all you heard was that 1 out of 110 kids has autism, and nobody has a clue why, and there's tons of media bru-ha-ha about how the new vaccines may be causing it - it could be the number, it could be the mercury, it could be the combos - and you have to take your very tiny baby in for multiple shots and then watch them like a hawk for all of the signs that something may be up with them - then you would know what a terrifying decision it is to do so and may not be so smug and I-told-you-so about it.

YOUR parents did not have to deal with this, and they didn't have to worry whether it was caused by brussel sprouts or rainbows, in fact they didn't have to worry about this at all.

I'm glad this guy got debunked, because he has put parents through hell the last few years, and people should be p*ssed at him, not at the new tired parents who are getting bombarded with all sorts of scary misinformation and are the ones that have to make the difficult decisions.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 AM
 
27,995 posts, read 19,672,986 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know, everyone can get real snarky about parents who had their babies in the 10 years or so, and have been concerned about this, and have your fun doing it - but if you were a new parent in these times, when all you heard was that 1 out of 110 kids has autism, and nobody has a clue why, and there's tons of media bru-ha-ha about how the new vaccines may be causing it - it could be the number, it could be the mercury, it could be the combos - and you have to take your very tiny baby in for multiple shots and then watch them like a hawk for all of the signs that something may be up with them - then you would know what a terrifying decision it is to do so and may not be so smug and I-told-you-so about it.

YOUR parents did not have to deal with this, and they didn't have to worry whether it was caused by brussel sprouts or rainbows, in fact they didn't have to worry about this at all.

I'm glad this guy got debunked, because he has put parents through hell the last few years, and people should be p*ssed at him, not at the new tired parents who are getting bombarded with all sorts of scary misinformation and are the ones that have to make the difficult decisions.
Amen.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
 
852 posts, read 1,136,811 times
Reputation: 1042
My reaction to this news was relief. I think of all of the poor kids whose parents aren't vaccinating them (out of a genuine desire to do the right thing and be good parents). My friend's baby had leukemia, and he's in remission now, but for years, because the chemo compromises the effectiveness of his vaccines, my friend and her husband had to pay for in-home childcare. Why? Because there were too many unvaccinated kids in daycare and preschool and they put him at risk. The anti-vaccine trend affects far more people than just the unvaccinated, and I'm hoping to see it reversed by this news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top