U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My reaction to this news was relief. I think of all of the poor kids whose parents aren't vaccinating them (out of a genuine desire to do the right thing and be good parents). My friend's baby had leukemia, and he's in remission now, but for years, because the chemo compromises the effectiveness of his vaccines, my friend and her husband had to pay for in-home childcare. Why? Because there were too many unvaccinated kids in daycare and preschool and they put him at risk. The anti-vaccine trend affects far more people than just the unvaccinated, and I'm hoping to see it reversed by this news.
Yes, me too. I'm sure it will be. I'm also horrified by the thought of the parents who didn't vaccinate and who's children became sick or died as a result. This guy has a lot to answer for.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,240,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes, it has been known for many years now. I'm not sure why it's getting publicity again today.

Jenny McCartney now says her son never had autism but some other condition.
I thought he had been discredited for quite some time.

Jenny McCarthy has picked a new term for him? Must be time for her to write a new book.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know, everyone can get real snarky about parents who had their babies in the 10 years or so, and have been concerned about this, and have your fun doing it - but if you were a new parent in these times, when all you heard was that 1 out of 110 kids has autism, and nobody has a clue why, and there's tons of media bru-ha-ha about how the new vaccines may be causing it - it could be the number, it could be the mercury, it could be the combos - and you have to take your very tiny baby in for multiple shots and then watch them like a hawk for all of the signs that something may be up with them - then you would know what a terrifying decision it is to do so and may not be so smug and I-told-you-so about it.

YOUR parents did not have to deal with this, and they didn't have to worry whether it was caused by brussel sprouts or rainbows, in fact they didn't have to worry about this at all.

I'm glad this guy got debunked, because he has put parents through hell the last few years, and people should be p*ssed at him, not at the new tired parents who are getting bombarded with all sorts of scary misinformation and are the ones that have to make the difficult decisions.
Yes, but....there's a lot to be said for getting you information from credible sources. There is an entire subgroup of internet quacks and bloggers who made their money out of vaccine fear-mongering, these are not good sources of objective information. There have been many large multinational studies out debunking this for quite some time, but people are still sceptical. That I don't understand.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, but....there's a lot to be said for getting you information from credible sources. There is an entire subgroup of internet quacks and bloggers who made their money out of vaccine fear-mongering, these are not good sources of objective information. There have been many large multinational studies out debunking this for quite some time, but people are still sceptical. That I don't understand.
Of course, but that doesn't take the nagging voice out of your head when you go to get these things done. And to make fun of people because they're concerned about it like they're just idiots is annoying to me, because you can't compare your parents getting you vaccinated 40 years ago to the amount of vaccines and related news about them that you take in these days - people did not have the amount of info that needs to be debunked now, then.

You (general you) can also say in hindsight, "how ridiculous, how could people have fallen for that" and in the same breath not be able to tell parents what really is causing the spike in autism dx. People were worried, and understandably so, and have spent many needless nights sifting through endless different sources trying to figure out the right thing to do for their kids.

To then say well "duh" to them is pretty sanctimonious and, quite frankly, irritating.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,062,520 times
I know a lot of people who do not vaccinate on schedule (whether they avoid all vaccines or whether they follow an altered schedule), and fear of autism is nowhere near the only, or even the major, reason. I think that everyone who is educated on the issue knows that Wakefield's study was flawed.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
It is frustrating now to know that we STILL don't know what's causing it.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
You know, everyone can get real snarky about parents who had their babies in the 10 years or so, and have been concerned about this, and have your fun doing it - but if you were a new parent in these times, when all you heard was that 1 out of 110 kids has autism, and nobody has a clue why, and there's tons of media bru-ha-ha about how the new vaccines may be causing it - it could be the number, it could be the mercury, it could be the combos - and you have to take your very tiny baby in for multiple shots and then watch them like a hawk for all of the signs that something may be up with them - then you would know what a terrifying decision it is to do so and may not be so smug and I-told-you-so about it.

YOUR parents did not have to deal with this, and they didn't have to worry whether it was caused by brussel sprouts or rainbows, in fact they didn't have to worry about this at all.

I'm glad this guy got debunked, because he has put parents through hell the last few years, and people should be p*ssed at him, not at the new tired parents who are getting bombarded with all sorts of scary misinformation and are the ones that have to make the difficult decisions.
My grandson has autism. I am not pissed at the parents at all. I am, however, pissed at the snake oil salesmen. Parents are spending a lot of money on things that are very poor science.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
For anyone who doesn't think parents had to worry about autism years ago, that was only because there was no publicity about the condition. Autism has been around forever. The *epidemic* is not an *epidemic* - it has to do with better diagnosis mostly. As the autism dx has gone up, the diagnosis of mental retardation has gone down. The dx will be changing, also, in the new DSM. For parents, be glad you live now when treatments are better and parents are not *blamed* for the child's condition. Back in the 1960s, the cause was *refrigerator mothers.* Can you imagine living with that? Note that other conditions have also *looked* like they have become more common because we found new ways to diagnosing them that detected them earlier. See examples in the second article below.

Autism rise tied to better diagnosis - The Boston Globe

Better Diagnosis and So-called Epidemics : Blisstree - Serious Health and Wellness – Injected With Humor

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Of course, but that doesn't take the nagging voice out of your head when you go to get these things done. And to make fun of people because they're concerned about it like they're just idiots is annoying to me, because you can't compare your parents getting you vaccinated 40 years ago to the amount of vaccines and related news about them that you take in these days - people did not have the amount of info that needs to be debunked now, then.

You (general you) can also say in hindsight, "how ridiculous, how could people have fallen for that" and in the same breath not be able to tell parents what really is causing the spike in autism dx. People were worried, and understandably so, and have spent many needless nights sifting through endless different sources trying to figure out the right thing to do for their kids.

To then say well "duh" to them is pretty sanctimonious and, quite frankly, irritating.
We'll have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of things I question about how I parent my kids, and choices I make. Whether or not they are correct, helpful, harmful, etc. Vaccines, however, were not one of those questionable factors.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of things I question about how I parent my kids, and choices I make. Whether or not they are correct, helpful, harmful, etc. Vaccines, however, were not one of those questionable factors.
I'm glad it wasn't something that worried you, (seriously, not being facetious ) and I wish it hadn't worried me, or countless other parents. I could have done without the whole circus, personally. I didn't pay much attention to any of this before I got pregnant, and if you haven't kept up with what's going on, the whole gamut of stuff that gets thrown at you can be pretty overwhelming - especially if you have no experience with it whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting