U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times

Advertisements

No, you didn't strike a nerve; I'm just tired of people always blaming the nurses! "They woke me up to give me a pill'. Who do you think ordered the pill to be given at that hour. 'THAT NURSE did. . . ' We do not know all the details. I doubt we will ever know what really happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
An ER is not a fast food restaurant. More serious problems go to the head of the line. A victim of an automoblile accident is not going to queue up behind someone with a cold.

Any ER needs to have a triage system to make sure that things like this do not happen.

I agree with the poster that said a big part of the responsibility is going to fall on the shoulders of the person at the Urgent Care Center who obviously saw a very sick child who needed to be admitted. A simple 5 minute phone call to alert the ER that she was coming in was all that was needed.

I agree that inappropriate use of the ER increases wait times, whether or not the patient is insured, but that has nothing to do with immigrants. Citizens do it, too.
Obvious serious problems like tramas go to the front of the line - but a septic child might not be as obvious an emergency. If there are a hundred children with fever and looking a bit lethargic, most might just have a cold or flu or mild strep throat.

Where I live it is "immigrants" often about to give birth with no prenatal care and they are emergencies but also many of them along with citizens simply use the ER as their primary care, even if a physician's office accepts cash and most do.

But getting back to this case - a very sick child might appear to be a sleepy child who is napping because of the long wait. Yes many ERs triage the patients when they walk in the door, but that kind of triage might not pick up certain true emergencies because they aren't as obvious.

I would wonder why the primary care doctors simply sent the child to the ER without calling the ER with instructions or showing up there themselves.

Also - many ERs are not the place to get your health care if you really need it - in part because of the long lines, but also because the doctors don't know you. They don't know your health history, your habits.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obvious serious problems like tramas go to the front of the line - but a septic child might not be as obvious an emergency. If there are a hundred children with fever and looking a bit lethargic, most might just have a cold or flu or mild strep throat.

Where I live it is "immigrants" often about to give birth with no prenatal care and they are emergencies but also many of them along with citizens simply use the ER as their primary care, even if a physician's office accepts cash and most do.

But getting back to this case - a very sick child might appear to be a sleepy child who is napping because of the long wait. Yes many ERs triage the patients when they walk in the door, but that kind of triage might not pick up certain true emergencies because they aren't as obvious.

I would wonder why the primary care doctors simply sent the child to the ER without calling the ER with instructions or showing up there themselves.

Also - many ERs are not the place to get your health care if you really need it - in part because of the long lines, but also because the doctors don't know you. They don't know your health history, your habits.
I agree with you, and had some of those same thoughts about a kid with fever when I was reading the nurse bashing stuff. It's not always the triager's fault, although people always look for someone to blame.

I agree with what you said about ERs, and that goes double for kids. They really need to be seen by a pediatrician. The Children's Hospital in our area has an urgent care as well as their own ER, and another hospital has a pediatric center in their ER. I would imagine there's something like that in a city as big as Sacramento.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,239,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, you didn't strike a nerve; I'm just tired of people always blaming the nurses! "They woke me up to give me a pill'. Who do you think ordered the pill to be given at that hour. 'THAT NURSE did. . . ' We do not know all the details. I doubt we will ever know what really happened.
Last Jan I had to go the ER when preggers w/ #3 b/c it was prior to my OBs office hrs & due to the issue, she wanted me to go to the ER. I was there for about 8hrs. It wasn't fun. The ER nurse was pleasant, but I remember her specifically telling me that the ER is just not a place one wants to be & they are not only trained a specific way, but due to liability/hospital policies, are even only allowed to state things in a certain way.

Our hospital also has a childrens only ER. We've unfortunately had to utilize it, but I cannot help to think that it is incredibly helpful to have an ER solely for children due to the nature of why many are brought into the ER.

I did just read the article. It's very general & well unfortunate, there has to be much more to the story. I am led to believe it was a series of unfortunate events.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
It would appear the girl went into "septic shock from an intense Streptococcus A infection from an extremely virulent strain". It would seem the outcome would not have been altered regardless of the treatment, but the triage system at the ER sounds like it needs to be reviewed. In my experience it is imperative to take a child to a Pediatric ER if at all possible.

Toddler waiting hours at hospital has feet and hand amputated due to infection | Mail Online

Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,157,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree with the poster that said a big part of the responsibility is going to fall on the shoulders of the person at the Urgent Care Center who obviously saw a very sick child who needed to be admitted. A simple 5 minute phone call to alert the ER that she was coming in was all that was needed.
Maybe the Urgent Care center did call. If they did, there should be phone records to verify.

Last edited by skeet09; 01-12-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or