U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,262,889 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Malyia Jeffers, Toddler, Has Limbs Amputated After Waiting Too Long In Sacramento ER: You Can Help

The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/31/3290271/sacramento-girl-needed-amputations.html - broken link) reported that Ryan Jeffers and Leah Yang, Malyia's parents, rushed her to a Sacramento urgent care facility when they noticed she was running a fever and unusually lethargic. When specialists saw the young girl, they told them to take her to the Methodist Hospital emergency room immediately.
Once they arrived, Malyia developed bruise-like splotches on her cheeks and eventually couldn't muster the strength to walk.
Even with these symptoms, emergency room personnel told the family to wait. More than five hours later, Jeffers told KTXL that he couldn't take it anymore.
"I don't like being a loud, obnoxious person. Especially in an ER. But I felt it was a need for me to at least make a scene enough where it was actually getting ridiculous being told I was next over and over."
After Jeffers demanded assistance, they took a blood test that suggested the child was in liver faliure.
She was rushed to the pediatric care unit at Sutter Memorial Hospital, but her journey wasn't over yet. She was finally flown in by helicopter to Standford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital before she received the appropriate diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
Reputation: 47030
This surely looks like a good medical malpractice suit. No amount of money can make this child and her family whole again but perhaps make it a bit easier. I hope the hospital pays out the nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Reputation: 22167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Malyia Jeffers, Toddler, Has Limbs Amputated After Waiting Too Long In Sacramento ER: You Can Help

The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/31/3290271/sacramento-girl-needed-amputations.html - broken link) reported that Ryan Jeffers and Leah Yang, Malyia's parents, rushed her to a Sacramento urgent care facility when they noticed she was running a fever and unusually lethargic. When specialists saw the young girl, they told them to take her to the Methodist Hospital emergency room immediately.
Once they arrived, Malyia developed bruise-like splotches on her cheeks and eventually couldn't muster the strength to walk.
Even with these symptoms, emergency room personnel told the family to wait. More than five hours later, Jeffers told KTXL that he couldn't take it anymore.
"I don't like being a loud, obnoxious person. Especially in an ER. But I felt it was a need for me to at least make a scene enough where it was actually getting ridiculous being told I was next over and over."
After Jeffers demanded assistance, they took a blood test that suggested the child was in liver faliure.
She was rushed to the pediatric care unit at Sutter Memorial Hospital, but her journey wasn't over yet. She was finally flown in by helicopter to Standford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital before she received the appropriate diagnosis.
It's pretty sad but that's what's going on in many ERs. They are forced to take people in the order they arrive or someone will sue and a very large number, especially those here illegally who don't want to pay for their health care use ERs as a free clinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times
Reputation: 14677
Very sad.

Toddler waiting hours at hospital has feet and hand amputated due to infection | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Reputation: 22167
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This surely looks like a good medical malpractice suit. No amount of money can make this child and her family whole again but perhaps make it a bit easier. I hope the hospital pays out the nose.
I'm sure they will sue and win a whole lot of money. And the doctors who sent them to the ER in the first place can be sued for all they're worth. I'm pretty sure a good number of lawyers are lining up for this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,557 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Reputation: 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's pretty sad but that's what's going on in many ERs. They are forced to take people in the order they arrive or someone will sue and a very large number, especially those here illegally who don't want to pay for their health care use ERs as a free clinic.
An ER is not a fast food restaurant. More serious problems go to the head of the line. A victim of an automoblile accident is not going to queue up behind someone with a cold.

Any ER needs to have a triage system to make sure that things like this do not happen.

I agree with the poster that said a big part of the responsibility is going to fall on the shoulders of the person at the Urgent Care Center who obviously saw a very sick child who needed to be admitted. A simple 5 minute phone call to alert the ER that she was coming in was all that was needed.

I agree that inappropriate use of the ER increases wait times, whether or not the patient is insured, but that has nothing to do with immigrants. Citizens do it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,031 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Reputation: 31481
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's pretty sad but that's what's going on in many ERs. They are forced to take people in the order they arrive or someone will sue and a very large number, especially those here illegally who don't want to pay for their health care use ERs as a free clinic.
I second what was said that patients are not taken in order they arrive. Many ERs have signs that say "Patients are seen in order of medical need". I think we don't know everything about this issue, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,262,889 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I second what was said that patients are not taken in order they arrive. Many ERs have signs that say "Patients are seen in order of medical need". I think we don't know everything about this issue, either.

Well I actually have gone to this particular hospital chain before. They are a chain of hospitals call Sutter Health. They are known for rude administrative managers and poorly educated social workers. Apparently now they are also known for very badly trained Triage nurses.

Sutter Health Affiliated Hospitals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,031 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Reputation: 31481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well I actually have gone to this particular hospital chain before. They are a chain of hospitals call Sutter Health. They are known for rude administrative managers and poorly educated social workers. Apparently now they are also known for very badly trained Triage nurses.

Sutter Health Affiliated Hospitals
Always blame the nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,262,889 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Always blame the nurse.


Yeesh, did I strike a nerve? I didn't meant to put it on nurses because they are the least powerful in this situation and probably was following protocol. They have the best intentions and the biggest hearts and work the hardest.
I think they are totally under-appreciated and under paid, over worked, and under staffed (ESP in Sutter Hospitals who constantly don't staff their floors with the amount of nurses that are LEGALLY required for the per patient ratio to be met).

But, In this case, it is the Triage nurse who did not put this child to the front of the line, but like I said, they may just be poorly trained or TOLD to do it a certain way that led to this incident.

When it comes to Sutter I would believe that person was following policy (which since this is a life and death job that is poor training, whether it be policy or NOT) and they were merely doing their job. They are a cheap hospital who cares way more about the money they are making than the patients they are treating. Lucky there are kind nurses who work for them.

I am sure we will eventually find out what went down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top