U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Reputation: 14677

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
When I said homegrown, I meant American entertainment people, silly.... there's still plenty of those. But you're very amusing, nonetheless.

Radiohead and Coldplay would not appreciate being called American. Just sayin' ....
I think that was the point. None of them are American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,728,169 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think that was the point. None of them are American.
I know, I know, I got it. But I don't see Radiohead or Coldplay living here or even trying to be American. Sure they sell records here, but they sell records everywhere. They would be homegrown English success stories.

Why did ya have to go and make me explain that, Zimbo? Now I look like a party pooper.

And Aconite, I still think it was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Reputation: 14677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why did ya have to go and make me explain that, Zimbo? Now I look like a party pooper.
I'm so sorry! I know you are the queen of cool, and laissez-faire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Reputation: 30256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, I second everything Dew says. It gets beyond annoying when people treat anything to do with the entertainment business as a waste of time.

Firstly, it's a business. A huge industry, in fact. I would say it's one of the few industries left in America in which the success stories are home grown and still manufactured in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Like Michael J. Fox, Mike Myers, Dan Aykroyd, Coldplay, Radiohead, Wyclef Jean...
Michael J Fox wasn't 'home grown' in the USA. He's from Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,717 posts, read 11,177,059 times
Reputation: 4980
Haha, good article. Being Chinese, I agree with most points in principle,

But..

I'm really disturbed and put off by the extreme measures she advocates..

Quote:
A friend told me a story about a Chinese child who was in her child's class. The child got a B+ or an A- on a paper. The child was devastated... purely devastated. They were in maybe 5th grade at the time. The teacher tried to comfort the child, telling her that all her other grades were perfect so this won't hurt. The child looked up at the teacher and said her life is ruined and she will never get have a successful career now!

Not sure if her parents subscribe to the Chinese parenting style in this article, but I would think so!
Sounded like my parents except B's were allowed in subjects like English or History but NOT Math or Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,129,703 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
The problem with perfection is that it is not possible to obtain.
How about my 4.5 GPA? Even though I didn't get perfect scores on every exam. In fact got a couple of D's here and there on quizzes. I am perfect on paper. Totally doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,724,832 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
How about my 4.5 GPA? Even though I didn't get perfect scores on every exam. In fact got a couple of D's here and there on quizzes. I am perfect on paper. Totally doable.
People should seek excellence in everything they do. Excellence is not the same as perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,129,703 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
The problem with perfection is that it is not possible to obtain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You contradict yourself. YOU are the one "working from stereotypes" on one hand and discrediting them on the other, depending on which suits your argument.

I do understand the concept. I just don't agree with it. I'll never ask my child to be "popular quarterback or prom queen". So poof - there goes another stereotype.

And while we're here, laissez faire means "leave alone" or "let it go", to "not interfere in the affairs of others" - in this context, our children. I highly doubt that many western parents actually practice a laissez fair approach to parenting. It would, by definition, mean that they do "no parenting". If you hang around here long enough, you'll find plenty of people lamenting the over-parenting of today's children, and plenty of people who don't think kids are parented enough.

One more thing, didn't your mother teach you that it's very rude to say "duh"?
Duh means quit repeating what is common assumption in an argument. And everyone has used stereotypes and counter-stereotypes as examples, no need to point out the fact that we have all used stereotypes with the acknowledgment that we are indeed working from stereotypes. All stereotypes are inaccurate. I'm just using counter-stereotypes of All-American parenting to show how ridiculous when compared with the original Commie China Asian Parenting stereotypes used by others on this thread. I don't think most American parents will really ask their kids to be quarterbacks and prom queens - and there is no way that most Asian parents will require that their kids get 100% on all exams. I also do not believe American kids are just mindless druggies any more than I believe Chinese kids are just mindless robots.

And if we take your definition of laissez-faire to the extent you believe it to mean, then a laissez-faire parent would not bother to feed, clothe, or house their child.

Last edited by miyu; 01-13-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,724,832 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Duh means quit repeating what is common assumption in an argument.
Duh is extremely disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,142 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Reputation: 35558
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
How about my 4.5 GPA? Even though I didn't get perfect scores on every exam. In fact got a couple of D's here and there on quizzes. I am perfect on paper. Totally doable.

All that..and humble too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top