U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,027,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
...watch that space as the Chinese culture becomes more "westernized". The benefits realized by this coercive style will be replaced, probably with lots of rebellion first.

As for that article, I realize this isn't constructive, but I have to say I wish I had it in hard copy. I would light a match and burn it. I really dislike and disagree with the author's perspective.

And yes, Dewdrop, things may appear one way, but if you get close to someone from this culture (which is difficult if you're not from the same culture), it can be surprising what thoughts these children share.
I could not agree more!

I would rather be a Western mother than a Chinese mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I'd never call my kids garbage unless they really deserved it.
No child deserves to be called garbage. Never. Never. Never.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,745,501 times
Wow. The author, Ms. Chua, sure made some sweeping generalizations! She might be suprised to know that I also raised a stereotypically successful child (class Salutatorian, scholarship to competitive college, serves his community) and he did lots of those things on that list a Chinese mother would never let her kids do! And he plays guitar, rather than violin or piano, (although I have other kids who play those, lol).

I guess I come at mothering from such a completely different cultural backround, and most likely, spiritual backround, that I agreed with almost nothing she said (oddly, her home city is about 30 minutes from me). I certainly do not consider Ms. Chua to be a 'superior' mother.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,327,857 times
This is a stupid thread... I realize there is no value to that comment. But neither is this thread!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think this is why China is going to be the worlds economical super power in the very near future. And why American children are falling behind almost ALL of the other developed nations in the world academically.

20yrsinBranson
And yet it seems more people would leave China to move to the USA than people here would leave to live in China, including the author of this piece. Certainly good parents wouldn't want to remove their children from a superior country to one where the people are so much lesser.

Also if all the students are getting A's or at the worst an A-, that's because the teachers must not be giving lower grades.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Ms. Chau sounds like a real peach! I think she is just trying to justify her militaristic parenting style. I have met plenty of "Chinese Mothers" that have very successful, happy children, and don't go nearly that far. One thing worth bearing in mind is the role Confucianism plays in many aspects of Chinese culture and parenting. That is often times where the "A- is not good enough" mindset originates.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,129,703 times
To people who prefer western styles, why? It's not completely obvious to me.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And yet it seems more people would leave China to move to the USA than people here would leave to live in China, including the author of this piece. Certainly good parents wouldn't want to remove their children from a superior country to one where the people are so much lesser.

Also if all the students are getting A's or at the worst an A-, that's because the teachers must not be giving lower grades.
I don't think Chinese schools curve their grades. In USA I could get a 80% and still get an A+, fairly standard. In Asia if everyone gets every question right, everyone could potentially get an A+. If kids in the US encountered this style of grading everyone would get D's in my AP Chemistry class (except me who would get a B-, but I got the highest score).

The govt of China is completely different thing than the mothering styles of Chinese women... and to say Chinese could also imply Taiwanese in some cases. I think the fact that people are emigrating here has no bearing on anything. Chinese students excel in the USA for the reason that Chinese moms are just so much more hardcore. As are the Chinese students. I remember I used to cry if I got a A-. But my parents didn't even say anything to me. Perfection is just ingrained in the academic culture. Though I was devastated by academic setbacks it ultimately motivated me, and I learned how to deal with disappointments. I really believe I've reached my full potential. If I had a different upbringing I'm not sure I'd have the same success.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
This is a stupid thread... I realize there is no value to that comment. But neither is this thread!!!
Feeling threatened when somebody questions the crux of your Western parenting ideals? You probably should.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,173,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Feeling threatened when somebody questions the crux of your Western parenting ideals? You probably should.
Is that threat????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or