Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Well, I will say that when I was in advanced classes in high school, almost nobody learned anything. I would get an 80% on the exam, and the next highest score would be a 60%. But I would get an A+ and the 60% would get an A. Yes, "advanced classes" can be a joke in some schools. Not saying it about anyone here... because obviously I know nothing about anyone's school districts. But for many public schools in this state it is a sham. sometimes I feel so ashamed for getting an A because I know I still did so poorly and I STILL don't understand half the concepts.
This is because many AP classes are just about cramming in as much information as possible (I saw something about this recently and will look for the link). In order to truly to learn, a student must be able to think about what he is learning, reflect upon it, and apply it. Right now school is about regurgitating factoids that some committee somewhere deems worthy of regurgitation.

ETA Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1zGZ...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Then how does this explain what miyu claims to be the Asian mentality from the bolded sentence below. To me it sounds like there is no differential teaching in Chinese schools. It doesn't sound like they have gifted classes especially for the lower grades, yet, American parents desire this, not you specifically but in general. Why? It seems that Chinese schooling desires mastering the foundations which to me means repetitions and memorizing. However, to Western schooling this is boring and to extend it further, dumbing down, because it is these basics that standardized testing covers.

Perhaps I am trying to connect things that shouldn't be connected.

ETA: Of course, I forgot to factor in that perhaps more Chinese parents are involved in their childrens education. I don't speak for the parents on CD but I do know of schools where parents expect the teachers to all of the work, no help at home.
Indeed there is no differential teaching in Chinese schools. In 1st grade you should already know up to multiplications. This stuff is pretty basic and can be learned by rote memorization or other more creative methods. But I think the Chinese mentality is to get it over with, get it down pact, move on to more interesting applied word problems. Asian math is usually all word problems... cuz it's understood that everyone knows how to do the calculations. A calculator can do that for you. That's why I disagree when people say it is robotic learning. Totally opposite.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Indeed there is no differential teaching in Chinese schools. In 1st grade you should already know up to multiplications. This stuff is pretty basic and can be learned by rote memorization or other more creative methods. But I think the Chinese mentality is to get it over with, get it down pact, move on to more interesting applied word problems. Asian math is usually all word problems... cuz it's understood that everyone knows how to do the calculations. A calculator can do that for you. That's why I disagree when people say it is robotic learning. Totally opposite.
At the risk of being nit-picky, the expression is "get it down pat."

Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I have heard that East coast education trumps West coast... most likely true since I'm West coast.
I am supressing the urge to beat my head against the wall. This nonsense makes me insane. I've heard it my entire life and it's just one big, misinformed

As you grow older and gain more experience in the world and live a fuller life you will learn that a first-class education can come from an East coast school, a West coast school and, believe it or not, a school in the great state of Indiana which is about as middle America as one can get. Please. Do yourself a favor and expand your horizons. You may one day be interviewing for a job and the person who is interviewing you is a graduate of USC or Cal or the University of Washington. They are not going to appreciate it if you let slip the fact that you consider an East coast education superior to a West coast education.

I am simply dying to know where you went to school. Care to share that with us?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-14-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
That is the title of the article from the WSJ. An interesting opinion piece... what do people think? I think that using the Chinese mothering method guarantees that your child will achieve on average a higher level of success than not. But I don't think that the most successful children are bred this way and in rare instances it might stifle a talent that the child has (though true talents are rare, so the risk of this is fairly small).

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com

I think you need a compromise between these two methods of parenting. I know some Chinese mothers who are from China who do not parent the "Chinese" way. And I know some western mothers who do. I think you have to see how your child is motivated. You do not want to coddle them because they do become lazy and do not excel, but I think rewards for hard work like sleep-overs are great incentives.

As far as name calling, I think if your child knows you love them, that if you call them lazy it won't ruin their self esteem. If you threaten to burn their toys they probably know you are not serious anyway and it doesn't really help or hinder.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Well that makes sense. It does appear that our local schools are behind, very behind. I know at one school multiplication skills (as well as other basic operation skills) still need to be addressed at 5th grade. I know this because a friend asked me for ideas on how to motivate her students to recheck their answers especially for problems with multiple digits. I told her to give them a calculator. Her face .

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I just finished Chua's book, and I'm curious to know how many of you have also read it in its entirety. What did you think? Was it what you expected?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think this is why China is going to be the worlds economical super power in the very near future. And why American children are falling behind almost ALL of the other developed nations in the world academically.

20yrsinBranson
I agree. Our kids have everything done for them and everyone else is blamed except them for their failures. In America, if a child fails a class it's "What's wrong with the teacher or the school?". If a child fails in Asia, it's "What's wrong with YOU that you didn't do what you needed to pass?". Responsibility for success is placed on the child there and on everyone except the child here. Schools blame parents and parents blame schools and no one blames the child for lack of effort. Most of the time when I have a student fail my class it is for lack of effort.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-15-2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. Our kids have everything done for them and everyone else is blamed except them for their failures. In America, if a child fails a class it's "What's wrong with the teacher or the school?". If a child fails in Asia, it's "What's wrong with YOU that you didn't do what you needed to pass?". Responsibility for success is placed on the child there and on everyone except the child here. Schools blame parents and parents blame schools and no one blames the child for lack of effort. Most of the time when I have a student fail my class it is for lack of effort.

What do you mean my little Brecken, Wyatt (insert any insipid new aged name) failed the test? Why, it could not be his fault, he is such a good boy and well, you know, we do pay your salary.

US parents better wake up or their kids will get that manufacturing job that many feel we sorely lack here in America. The difference being that they will be answering to Mr. Cho.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 AM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Wow - this thread has generated quite the stir and response!

I know this is a thread about Chinese Mothers - but what I'd like to know is how the Chinese Fathers feel about Ms. Chua's views/book? Apparently, Ms. Chua does not find it necessary for Chinese children to have a Chinese father in order to be successful as she chose to marry a non-Chinese fellow. (This is like Honda or Toyota touting the superiority of their engineering, then bringing in GM or Ford to co-manage the design and development of their next generation models).

Now, I understand that Ms. Chua said that you don't have to necessarily be Chinese to be a Chinese mother - but the entire article seems to tout Chinese parenting. Also, from what I read in the article, the father (who is Jewish, I believe) seems like he more or less "accepts" Ms. Chua's methods and ideology and let's her take care of raising/teaching/disciplining the children. He clearly didn't have much say with the whole "Little Donkey" incident. (Ok, that last line sounded a bit strange - but it'll make sense if you read the article).

I have a couple thoughts on this. (1) Like many African/Caribbean cultures, the Jewish culture is more of a "matriarchy" vs. most of the Far East/Confucian cultures which are decidedly more "patriarch" based. Ms. Chua perhaps found that marrying a non-Chinese guy would allow her to more easily "rule the roost." I know from my own childhood, my Father may have brought home the "fish" - but it was my Mother that decided what we were going to do with it, when it was going to be prepared, how it was going to be prepared, and who was going to have what part and how much...

(2) If her little experiment in parental engineering turns out to be a failure - well, heck, she can just blame it on the White guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting