Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times

Advertisements

Fair enough. I guess I'm disappointed that so many posters are freely criticizing the author without actually reading the book. Most posters didn't even appear to know the book's subtitle, which reveals important clues about the storyline, until I pointed it out. That frustrates me, because I think we owe to ourselves to investigate the author's premise before we begin pontificating.

And, yes, I think the WSJ did a hatchet job on Chua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Fair enough. I guess I'm disappointed that so many posters are freely criticizing the author without actually reading the book. Most posters didn't even appear to know the book's subtitle, which reveals important clues about the storyline, until I pointed it out. That frustrates me, because I think we owe to ourselves to investigate the author's premise before we begin pontificating.

And, yes, I think the WSJ did a hatchet job on Chua.
The OP presented it as "an opinion piece"..The only time the fact that there was even a book was mentioned was in the "about the author" info at the bottom of the article. The WSJ presented this under the author's byline not as a book review or anything else. I think you might have a completely different discussion had this been in the book forum as a book discussion or had it been presented as a book not as an opinion piece....Shows the importance of context.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Context is very important indeed, Maciesmom.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Context is very important indeed, Maciesmom.

Now that we have that solved...on to world peace!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM

I wasn't trying to start a fight, Maciesmom, and after re-reading the article, I recognize that it is designed to create controversy and sell books. That said, I think our rush to condemn Chua without reading the entire book is indicative that perhaps her criticisms of westerners have some merit.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to start a fight, Maciesmom, and after re-reading the article, I recognize that it is designed to create controversy and sell books. That said, I think our rush to judge Chua without reading the entire book is indicative that perhaps her criticisms of westerners have some merit.

Oh I know that! I didn't think you were trying to start a fight - that's not who you are.....

Hmmm..I do agree it was designed to create controversy...not so sure it was designed to sell a book. I would have been much more inclined to read a book had it been presented as such and as the book it apparently was. The first I read about any of this was as the result of the OP's question. I read the article and commented on the words and attitude in the article (as well as the OP's comments) - that was what was up for discussion....so I'm not sure I agree with the "rushing to judgement without reading the entire book" comment. If it was presented as a book review or even if it was clearly presented as an excerpt (which it wasn't), I might have had different thoughts. I do fault the WSJ for poor presentation ....

I was just trying to be lighthearted with the World Peace comment. Well, sort of - when things are presented in a certain way, it can lead to all kinds of misinterpretations and misunderstandings....This is just a little discussion on parenting on an online forum but is a good example of how misunderstandings can occur when things aren't presented in their original context or in their totality. News organizations (in all formats) are not exempt from choosing how they want to portray certain information...just an interesting aside....

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-17-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Oh, I'm perfectly capable of starting a fight, but this isn't one of those times!

You know, I had a conversation with my daughter recently about why she routinely receives a B on math tests despite obviously having mastery over the material. She rushes to answer without having fully read and understood the problem. And, she rarely takes the time to go back over her work. I see parallels to this discussion. Do you see them too?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm perfectly capable of starting a fight, but this isn't one of those times! Heh....aren't we all!

You know, I had a conversation with my daughter recently about why she routinely receives a B on math tests despite obviously having mastery over the material. She rushes to answer without having fully read and understood the problem. And, she rarely takes the time to go back over her work. I see parallels to this discussion. Do you see them too?
Well...somewhat (I just edited my post as you were responding actually)....but again, it was poorly represented and poorly presented. It should have been made clear it was an excerpt from the book....I think it's poor editorial journalism.....

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM

That depends on the goal. If it was to generate readership, it achieved its purpose and then some.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
That depends on the goal. If it was to generate readership, it achieved its purpose and then some.
That's true...kind of like "Aliens land in Tulsa!! Now living near you and working at Walmart!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting