U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM

10,073 posts, read 9,313,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I wasn't trying to start a fight, Maciesmom, and after re-reading the article, I recognize that it is designed to create controversy and sell books. That said, I think our rush to condemn Chua without reading the entire book is indicative that perhaps her criticisms of westerners have some merit.
No, I'm afraid I disagree. Just because I take issue with that article, which is supposedly based on Chua's book, doesn't mean that her criticisms have credence. I don't want to read the entire book, as it has doesn't interest me. I didn't even know who Chua was. Let's face it, people form opinions about whether or not they want to read the book from the first page. I'm a busy woman...if I didn't particularly care for the article, why would I go spend the money and buy the book...just to validate/invalidate an opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
I should probably read the book since I started the thread... but I am waiting for it to appear in the library or for cheap on half.com. At the moment I am about 10 thick textbooks behind, ugh... I am sure Ms. Chua will understand seeing as how tough she is on education. LOL! Still a lot of good learning to be had from this thread. I enjoyed all the different opinions.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,749,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Years ago, my English professor said, "If you're going to be wrong, be wrong with conviction."

Tiger mother must be weak spined for giving in so quickly.
Hey, not just "weak spined"; she must be ... garbage!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
I have never understood the mindset of a parent who believes in creating academic robots out of their children yet allowing them to be completely socially inept and lacking in common sense life skills.

Not be racial, but I have worked with more than a few very well educated and book smart Asians who were "real world" ignoramuses. I also think that what some of these parents view as "competitiveness" the rest of us see as character flaws.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,686,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have never understood the mindset of a parent who believes in creating academic robots out of their children yet allowing them to be completely socially inept and lacking in common sense life skills.

Not be racial, but I have worked with more than a few very well educated and book smart Asians who were "real world" ignoramuses. I also think that what some of these parents view as "competitiveness" the rest of us see as character flaws.

Book smarts alone certainly won't get you far in life. You can graduate from college, but if you can't adjust to the real world, you're screwed.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,161,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I know, I know, I got it. But I don't see Radiohead or Coldplay living here or even trying to be American. Sure they sell records here, but they sell records everywhere. They would be homegrown English success stories.

Why did ya have to go and make me explain that, Zimbo? Now I look like a party pooper.

And Aconite, I still think it was funny.
No worries. Just a silly moment on my part, and I do get your point.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But it's also been said (can't remember if it was by you or in the article...) that "average" was unacceptable, and that everyone has the ability for "perfection"...so it wouldn't matter against whom one was competing, it would just matter that, despite "hard work" you were still "average"....which could only mean you obviously weren't working hard enough or you wouldn't have been average (according to that philosophy).
Ms Chua has also said, in a number of interviews, that she was speaking somewhat hyperbolically to make a point-- which seems to've been lost on most people that I've seen discussing the book/articles, though it comes across better in live interviews. The pitfalls of trying to hear "tone" in written language, I guess.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
At my daughter's middle school, only 4 students out of about 200 tested into the 5th grade gifted program. That doesn't sound inflated to me.
Different school systems have different standards. Here, they are considerably watered-down. Not quite to the point where, if you have a pulse, you're gifted, but not terribly far above it.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm still curious to find out if anybody else has taken the time to read Chua's book. If so, what did you think? If not, do you plan to do so?

With all the strong opinions expressed in this thread about the author and her parenting style, I can't be the only one. Or can I?

I got down to number fifteen on the waiting list at the library, and broke down and bought it yesterday. I'm not far in.
The only other parenting memoir I've ever bought is this one, which on the surface is about as diametrically opposed as a book can get, though I think there are places where they overlap.
Amazon.com: American Mom: Motherhood, Politics, and Humble Pie (9781565120525): Mary Kay Blakely: Books

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh I know that! I didn't think you were trying to start a fight - that's not who you are.....

Hmmm..I do agree it was designed to create controversy...not so sure it was designed to sell a book.
I expect Ms Chua did the piece with intent to sell her book. The Wall Street Journal editorial staff's intent, however, was to sell the WSJ, and book be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or