U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,701,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Fair enough. I guess I'm disappointed that so many posters are freely criticizing the author without actually reading the book. Most posters didn't even appear to know the book's subtitle, which reveals important clues about the storyline, until I pointed it out. That frustrates me, because I think we owe to ourselves to investigate the author's premise before we begin pontificating.

And, yes, I think the WSJ did a hatchet job on Chua.
Again, I will not reward the publishers for such a publicity stunt. It fed into ugly stereotypes. I am not interested in reading her memoir. Are you sure it wasn't the publisher that gave WSJ the excerpt the way it was presented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,507,010 times
Aconite, I bought Chua's book after finding that there were already 60-some holds for it at my library. I'll be waiting anxiously for your review. Read quickly!

Jenni, it is certainly your prerogative not to read the book, but I have to ask, if you're not interested, why spend any time at all discussing it on C-D?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-18-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM

273 posts, read 650,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post

Book smarts alone certainly won't get you far in life. You can graduate from college, but if you can't adjust to the real world, you're screwed.
True, but who is more likely to be able to adjust to the "real world"?

Someone who has grown up learning to work hard and meet high expectations, for whom quitting was not an option, who has experienced failure and learned that difficulties can be overcome by hard work, who has gained self confidence to succeed by working harder even when something is very difficult or unpleasant.

Or someone who has grown up having things taken care of by their parents, who learned that everyone is a winner as long as you participated, who is used to having lower expectations, who is used to quitting if something is not fun, who has learned that it's okay not to be the best as long as you tried.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,724,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
True, but who is more likely to be able to adjust to the "real world"?

Someone who has grown up learning to work hard and meet high expectations, for whom quitting was not an option, who has experienced failure and learned that difficulties can be overcome by hard work, who has gained self confidence to succeed by working harder even when something is very difficult or unpleasant.

Or someone who has grown up having things taken care of by their parents, who learned that everyone is a winner as long as you participated, who is used to having lower expectations, who is used to quitting if something is not fun, who has learned that it's okay not to be the best as long as you tried.
You do not need to berate someone to teach them to work hard, have high expectations etc....

Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM

273 posts, read 650,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You do not need to berate someone to teach them to work hard, have high expectations etc....
I agree, and I didn't say anything about berating in my post. But I do agree with the article's underlying point about setting very high expectations, hard work, drilling and practicing, etc. (though I probably wouldn't' take it quite that far).

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,286,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post

Book smarts alone certainly won't get you far in life. You can graduate from college, but if you can't adjust to the real world, you're screwed.
When I was applying to grad schools I remember meeting with a dean of the program who specifically stated that they did not want a class full of academic robots who spent all of their time trying to get straight As versus trying to become well-rounded individuals with other interests. He stated that it does a not benefit the profession to have people who can not relate to real life situations.

Those types of students are always really angry when they aren't accepted into an academic program because the believe that their grades (and their grades alone) entitle them to get in wherever they choose - but it is not that simple.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,724,832 times
Quote:
I agree, and I didn't say anything about berating in my post. But I do agree with the article's underlying point about setting very high expectations, hard work, drilling and practicing, etc. (though I probably wouldn't' take it quite that far).
No but the article posted by the OP details how a child was berated in the interests of high achievement. IMO achievement is important but real achievement is something that is developed with a combination of a nurturing parent who sets high expectations.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Calipoppy, that's Admissions double-speak. Grad schools seek out the students they believe will bring the most prestige to their programs, and if they believe it's the academic robots, the "well-rounded" students will be kicked to the curb. Don't be fooled: It's about what you can do for them, not what they can do for you.

-- Formercalifornian, the professor's daughter

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-18-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Putting aside her methods for a moment, I think Chua is imparting an essential life lesson to her daughters by demanding hard work AND results.

As my husband is fond of saying, "There is no more virtue in effort divorced from success than success divorced from effort."

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-18-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,366,579 times
Quote:

I don't believe that your first paragraph describes what some refer to as a robotic child. What you describe sounds more like a well rounded child. I believe Ms. Chua and most posters on this thread would support these characteristics.

I also believe that what you described in the second paragraph is what most posters on this thread would not support as well as Ms. Chua. However, this would not produce a robotic child but an entitled one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or