Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Parenting is overrated. The Chinese kid might get into Harvard, and maybe another kid will get into Michigan State. But that doesn't determine your entire life.
I went to a top 3 school, my boss went to a third quartile school. I will never achieve his level of business success(however he will nto achieve my level of family success).

How do you define success?

To me it means:

Stay in touch with God. Think about His outlook on everything you do.

Serve your community. Use your skills to help other people. Talk to lonely people every chance you get. No one should have to be lonely.

Find something that you enjoy and are good at.

Work had to be the best at doing that thing that you possibly can.

Balance your work and your life. Do not let work be your life.

Be happy and remember to realize and enjoy how wonderfully complex and marvelous our world is.

Build your life around relationships, not things.

Making money is not success to me. I work with lots of people who have tons of money. Almost none of them are happy. Most are wholly dissatisfied with life.

Chinese parenting would not produce successful children by my definition. It would produce a bunch of unhappy neurotic individuals who cannot accept that there is almost always someone out there who is better at a given thing, richer, prettier, healthier, or whatever.

To me make your reasonable best effort and be happy with whatever you accomplish is more a measure of a successful at being human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
That is the title of the article from the WSJ. An interesting opinion piece... what do people think? I think that using the Chinese mothering method guarantees that your child will achieve on average a higher level of success than not. But I don't think that the most successful children are bred this way and in rare instances it might stifle a talent that the child has (though true talents are rare, so the risk of this is fairly small).

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com
I totally agree with her overall attitude but she takes things TOO extreme, IMO.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I went to a top 3 school, my boss went to a third quartile school. I will never achieve his level of business success(however he will nto achieve my level of family success).
Just curious but how do you know he will never achieve your level of family success?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Just curious but how do you know he will never achieve your level of family success?
He does not have a family. All of his time is devoted to career.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
My best friend is ethnically Chinese and she has a classic "tiger" mom. She was very successful all through out school and had a decent research career. Ultimately she choose the "tiger mom" light version of parenting for her daughter meaning high expectations and only moderate pressure.

Despite being successful I think it is telling that she did not choose to parent that way herself.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Actually, they're not. They're not at the top of the list, but American students aren't at the bottom, either.

In any case, there's more than one "right" way to do things. Take a look at other successful countries from around the world and it's easy to see that there is no one one magic method for "success," although as someone else as noted, there are many different definitions of success.
In a worldwide economy can we afford to be middle of the pack? Not being last won't matter if the jobs are going where the students excell.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
In a worldwide economy can we afford to be middle of the pack? Not being last won't matter if the jobs are going where the students excell.

The jobs are going where people will work for $4 a day and where the government does not care how much pollution is generated.

We still excell in ideas, technology and creativity. Other countries are catching up, we ar enot falling behind. However for some reason many cultures are much better at taking our ideas and inventions and improving them than they are at coming up with their own ideas and inventions.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Just today I told my daughter that when she grows up she should find a career that she loves that also pays well. She then started asking me how much certain jobs pay. I felt sort of guilty talking about money, but she needs to know that you can make a decent living doing something rewarding. Is this Tigerish?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Just today I told my daughter that when she grows up she should find a career that she loves that also pays well. She then started asking me how much certain jobs pay. I felt sort of guilty talking about money, but she needs to know that you can make a decent living doing something rewarding. Is this Tigerish?
IMO, no. However, to avoid being Tigerish, I would think of my goal in different terms. It is in my daughter's interest to be aware, or be exposed, to the different ways people earn a living.

IMO, children of families who make money or have money have this experience first hand by the people they are exposed to. Of course, there are those parents who expect their children to go into the same field they did.

It think it is possible to gain this exposure in whatever socio-economic culture you may be in now. I believe at each level there are those who perform better within that group compared to others.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
He does not have a family. All of his time is devoted to career.
Maybe that's his choice ... Judging others choices based upon your choices ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting