U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,434,543 times

Advertisements

I think those who've grown up in California & gone to school & competed with Asian/Chinese kids know there's a kernel of truth to her parenting style, beneath all the hyperbole. But I'm kind of surprised that sociologists or educational psychs haven't chimed in to offer alternative explanations on why Asian/Chinese students excel and make up a disproportionate share at elite campuses like UC's or the Ivy's.

Of course Amy Chua would say it's all parenting & micromanaging your child's life to achieve certain goals from a very young age. However, other factors like peer pressure/expectations & maybe even lack of other outlets like organized sports programs could be factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son plays piano, saxophone, and percussion so he is probably ruined for life due to being exposed to those inferior musical instruments. PLUS-he only practices for about 45 minutes a day and he LIKES PRACTICING.

As if all those inferior musical instruments were not bad enough my oldest son plays football and he wrestles. What a waste of life he is.
My daughter plays the violin, but I'm sure any good from that is canceled out by the fact that she acts in plays, horror of horrors.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,738,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My daughter plays the violin, but I'm sure any good from that is canceled out by the fact that she acts in plays, horror of horrors.
My son played the drums in the last school play. No wonder he is so useless! Can you imagine the horror we have to endure due to this terrible stain on our family.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son played the drums in the last school play. No wonder he is so useless! Can you imagine the horror we have to endure due to this terrible stain on our family.
I soooo agree- my son decided to play the trombone this year. I can't even begin to describe my disappointment in him!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I soooo agree- my son decided to play the trombone this year. I can't even begin to describe my disappointment in him!
You can only imagine how I feel about guitar. Well, one's a drummer but we don't talk about him in public.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You can only imagine how I feel about guitar. Well, one's a drummer but we don't talk about him in public.
Basement child. I understand completely.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,611,927 times
My uncle married a woman from China. They raised their kids in Chicago. Two of my cousins went onto earn degrees from well known schools. One went to MIT. All are doing very well now. They would come home from school and do homework and then do more homework. Interestingly my Uncle and aunt also took the boys on trips all over the world to see how it is somewhere else and to allow them to realize how fortunate that they are to live here.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of course I do..I require my son to tell people he plays the piano if anyone asks. He's such an embarrassment to the whole family..

Last edited by strawflower; 01-11-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
You guys are so funny! I'm LMAO at the instrument sarcasm!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
Well, another perspective, I grew up next to a family from China, the kids were scared of their Dad, who would literally beat them if they did not get straight A's in school. Those kids screamed, my Mom called CPS several times. Those kids had to study all the time, while we were out playing in the sun, riding bikes around the neighborhood, those kids were studying. Yes, they are successful now...but so am I...and no one ever beat me, and I had a balanced childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or