U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,319,056 times
Default "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior"

That is the title of the article from the WSJ. An interesting opinion piece... what do people think? I think that using the Chinese mothering method guarantees that your child will achieve on average a higher level of success than not. But I don't think that the most successful children are bred this way and in rare instances it might stifle a talent that the child has (though true talents are rare, so the risk of this is fairly small).

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

14,650 posts, read 16,121,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
That is the title of the article from the WSJ. An interesting opinion piece... what do people think? I think that using the Chinese mothering method guarantees that your child will achieve on average a higher level of success than not. But I don't think that the most successful children are bred this way and in rare instances it might stifle a talent that the child has (though true talents are rare, so the risk of this is fairly small).

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com
I think this is why China is going to be the worlds economical super power in the very near future. And why American children are falling behind almost ALL of the other developed nations in the world academically.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM

20,528 posts, read 10,921,285 times
I spent 45 minutes on the phone today "talking down" a friend who had just had lunch with her Chinese mother.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM

16,702 posts, read 11,162,472 times
I guess it all depends on your definition of "successful"....I know plenty of successful people (using a variety of definitions of "successful"). Some who were raised in that model and some who weren't.<shrugs>. There are plusses and minuses - just like anything else, rarely is one thing clearly "best".

Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
I wish I was a Chinese mother!

My bank account balance would be HUGE with all the gifts of money I would receive by guilting my children into giving me money as a sign of their love and respect for me.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,111,170 times
I can't cosign with Amy Chua. Especially that thing about calling her daughter "garbage" just because her dad called her that. Some people really shouldn't be writing about parenting, politics, etc.

And her list? They aren't allowed in plays? I didn't want to be in plays. I got good grades b/c I wanted to, not b/c mom and dad thought I owed it to them and would fuss at me if I didn't. Does that make me Chinese, Amy?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,319,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I spent 45 minutes on the phone today "talking down" a friend who had just had lunch with her Chinese mother.
But is she successful otherwise?

Yea, some of the restrictions such as not being in plays is weird. And certainly we were able to do sports and play other instruments than piano/violin. My parents didn't micromanage me in fact they didn't ask about my grades once, I think I already had that sense of perfection and shame ingrained into my by default. When they called me bad things it had more of a negative impact. I'd never call my kids garbage unless they really deserved it.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM

9,942 posts, read 13,567,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think this is why China is going to be the worlds economical super power in the very near future. And why American children are falling behind almost ALL of the other developed nations in the world academically.
Actually, they're not. They're not at the top of the list, but American students aren't at the bottom, either.

In any case, there's more than one "right" way to do things. Take a look at other successful countries from around the world and it's easy to see that there is no one one magic method for "success," although as someone else as noted, there are many different definitions of success.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM

1,414 posts, read 2,221,868 times
...watch that space as the Chinese culture becomes more "westernized". The benefits realized by this coercive style will be replaced, probably with lots of rebellion first.

As for that article, I realize this isn't constructive, but I have to say I wish I had it in hard copy. I would light a match and burn it. I really dislike and disagree with the author's perspective.

And yes, Dewdrop, things may appear one way, but if you get close to someone from this culture (which is difficult if you're not from the same culture), it can be surprising what thoughts these children share, like your friend's distress which you helped to "talk down".

Last edited by didee; 01-10-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,438,982 times
A friend told me a story about a Chinese child who was in her child's class. The child got a B+ or an A- on a paper. The child was devastated... purely devastated. They were in maybe 5th grade at the time. The teacher tried to comfort the child, telling her that all her other grades were perfect so this won't hurt. The child looked up at the teacher and said her life is ruined and she will never get have a successful career now!

Not sure if her parents subscribe to the Chinese parenting style in this article, but I would think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting