U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,585,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kid turning two years old....what did you observe/remember?
I remember that two was a better age than three for my kids! Both of them (now 6 and 12) were pretty good at age two. Then they turned three, and they entered the TERRIBLE THREES!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,139,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I remember that two was a better age than three for my kids! Both of them (now 6 and 12) were pretty good at age two. Then they turned three, and they entered the TERRIBLE THREES!!!
Yes! 2 was nothing compared to 3. 3 was crazy. I'm enjoying 4.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:40 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
I don't remember a whole lot. God helps you forget stuff like that! Seriously, there's worse to come! (J/K)

Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
As someone with a 2-year-old (soon to be 3), I can only tell you that I agree with the saying "this too shall pass."

My daughters were polar opposites growing up. My oldest was easy to potty train, my nearly 3-year-old will go for 2 weeks in "big girl pants" then suddenly revert right back to diapers. My oldest was talking in complete sentences early in her 2s, my youngest didn't really start talking until just a few months ago, but now won't stop. Both love to read. Both love to play with dolls. My youngest sort of skipped the little kid toys in favor of her older sister's stuff but I think that's just because nothing is as cool as a Barbie to a 2-year old. My oldest was a good eater, my youngest not so much. My oldest is very cautious, my youngest is totally fearless. Both have slept well from the very beginning (thank God) and neither has every had a serious temper tantrum or meltdown in public.

The thing about 2-year olds is that there is no manual and if you don't have a sense of humor about the whole thing you will have a nervous breakdown.

Childhood is so fleeting...don't spend too much time worrying about "markers" and comparing your kids to others. Notice and get help if you think something is medically wrong with your kid and then just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,481,614 times
My son did not go through the terrible twos or threes. I was lucky I guess. He has always been a really laid back kind of kid. A couple of weeks ago I watched my niece's two year old for a whole week. OMG. I was completely stressed out. It has been a long time since I took care of a toddler (my son is now a teen) but this child was the complete opposite of how my son was. This little girl was moving non stop, everything was no, she was extremely demanding, didn't want her diaper changed and hid from me, a lot of temper fits. But she was so sweet and polite in the mornings. I am not a morning person but it was hard not to smile with such a cheerful greeting.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,225,745 times
Ah, I love this thread! My son is 2 1/2 and so much of what others have posted rings true for us! I find it to be the most wonderful and the most trying age so far.

For the most part, what I've observed about the age is that they become little learning machines, with all manner of curiosity about the world and how they fit into it. I try to keep that in mind when I'm repeating the same thing for the billionth time in an hour! Seriously, though, they are like little sponges, absorbing information that we might not even realize - I can totally tell what I've been saying frequently based on what my son is saying (apparently, I've yelled at the dogs a lot this week!).

I try to remember that the tantrums and trying to assert himself are part of what he needs to do to grow and my job is to help him learn how to communicate these things effectively. Mostly, I'm with the3Ds who said "this too shall pass" - I'm counting on it, otherwise I'm running away from home!!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Mine seemed to learn the word "no" when they were about one and a half. By two years of age they were fine. Age 3 is when they start getting more opinionated and stubborn but in my opinion kids are easy until age 15 or so. Still not that tough but the eye-rolling and lip can irritate a parent and the hormones can make them less agreeable, moody and restless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or