U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM

15,697 posts, read 34,693,659 times

Advertisements

Kid turning two years old....what did you observe/remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,164,871 times
There's alot of info available on the internet. Not sure if I can give links, but just google "two year old ages and stages" for more info. If you have some concerns, please feel free to be more specific so we can try to help.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,141,781 times
I specifically remember that being the first day that dd started using the word, "no" for everything. I was surprised that it happened on her actual birthday.

Find a good child development book and it will give you a detailed view of what to expect and why it's happening.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,976 times
My daughter had already started the "terrible twos", so nothing much changed. I mostly remember having to redirect her a lot. She was also more into asserting her independence with things like what to wear, what to eat, etc. My mom's advice of "choose your battles" came in handy.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 AM

15,697 posts, read 34,693,659 times
I haven't experienced any of the 'terrible twos' yet. Should be interesting, for sure.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
My son never really had the "terrible two's", maybe the "frustrating three's", but definitely no major issues at 2. My daughter on the other hand (now 2 1/2) seems to be the kind of kid they invented the term for. The other night my wife and I were talking about how lucky our youngest daughter is to have been born so close in age to her older sister, because if we had waited until now, there never would have been a third, lol.

This is interesting that this was mentioned, because my parents recently gave us a pile of videos that they have taken of our kids. We watched my sons two year birthday party and he was decidedly a little caveman. He was decently coordinated and active (what could be considered normal for the age), but his speech was limited. For instance, he got a race car set pointed to the box and said "car".

When we watched my daughters 2 year old video, the difference was striking. She was even more coordinated than my son was, able to easily scale anything in the house, treating child gates as suggestions. She has very good balance and on the video you can see her pull herself up on a half wall that seperates our play room from the kitchen and then walk across it to the end and jump down. Also, she speaks in complete sentences and easily holds a conversation. When she got the pillow pet she wanted, she grabbed it and said, "I love my purple pillow pet", quite the contrast to my son who grunted and said "car".

There is also a distinct difference with them in their ability to go with the flow. My son was very happy just going along with whatever we were doing. My daughter is very insistent upon doing what she wants and is a little OCD over having certain things with her and things being just so.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that not every kid has the terrible two's. In my son's case, he is now 6, doing very well in school and plays three sports. So, even if he wasn't exactly advanced at 2, he's fine now. I think the "terrible" is when a child hits the point in their development when they begin to assert themselves more and their personality comes on strong. For some kids it is 2 or 3, for others it's a subtle change over time. Couple this new found assertiveness with better motor functions and they are indeed entertaining.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
My daughter had been working on potty training on-and-off, but suddenly "got it" right when she turned 2. She was in unders full-time during the day starting a week after her 2nd birthday. (Kept night diapers for at least another year though) It really was like a light-bulb just went on in her head one day!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM

51,238 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kid turning two years old....what did you observe/remember?
Watching her little mind starting to stretch amazingly fast as she gathered in information and processed it and made sense of her world. Also, the talking, the constant talking!

She didn't get into the terrible twos under her third birthday. THAT DAY she turned into Satan. Lasted about six months.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,364,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My daughter had been working on potty training on-and-off, but suddenly "got it" right when she turned 2. She was in unders full-time during the day starting a week after her 2nd birthday. (Kept night diapers for at least another year though) It really was like a light-bulb just went on in her head one day!
That is great to hear. Just last week our toddler was suddenly interested in sitting on the toilet and saying "pee pee." She takes a little paper, wipes and then flushes all the while the little potty we purchased months ago gathers dust. So we purchased a little seat and she continues to pretend to use the toilet.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
That is great to hear. Just last week our toddler was suddenly interested in sitting on the toilet and saying "pee pee." She takes a little paper, wipes and then flushes all the while the little potty we purchased months ago gathers dust. So we purchased a little seat and she continues to pretend to use the toilet.
lol, so far neither of the two who have been potty trained wanted anything to do with the potty we bought them. My daughter even went so far as refusing to use the smaller seat that goes on the toilet, instead prefering her best gymnast impression and perching herself on the seat.

At least we have a third to hold hope for actually using our little Baby Bjorn potty chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or