U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM

527 posts, read 2,493,596 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old at home. I have loved watching them grow up and develop little personalities...And I keep thinking about what they are going to be like when they are adults. I know it's impossible to predict what they will be like, but for those who have adult children, how much of their infant/toddler personality do you see in them as an adult? What about physical appearance? Do they generally look "the same" or do they look like totally different people (aside from the obvious)?

I know these questions may sound silly, but I'm just curious to hear from other parents what it is like to have seen their little ones grow up into adults. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
My children are young adults. They generally look the same physically as they did as young children.

Certain personality traits stick around forever---easily frustrated, great sense of humor.

I'll use my son as an example:

As a young child, my son would get easily frustrated and give up on things quickly. Learning to tie his shoes was a chore. (He's extremely intelligent.) As a young adult, he has to work on not giving up quickly and forces himself on not letting frustration get the better of him. It's part of his overall personality, but he can and does overcome it.

He's still has a great sense of humor. He's absolutely the funniest person I know. He's a super sweet person, very affectionate and very giving. These core traits didn't change.

Other things changed though. My son was an extremely outgoing personality from the day he was born. That all changed in 9th grade when he became socially awkward. He's still a young adult so perhaps he'll become outgoing again as he gains confidence in himself as an adult.

Life experience can change children (and people in general) for better or worse.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,676,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old at home. I have loved watching them grow up and develop little personalities...And I keep thinking about what they are going to be like when they are adults. I know it's impossible to predict what they will be like, but for those who have adult children, how much of their infant/toddler personality do you see in them as an adult? What about physical appearance? Do they generally look "the same" or do they look like totally different people (aside from the obvious)?

I know these questions may sound silly, but I'm just curious to hear from other parents what it is like to have seen their little ones grow up into adults. Thanks.
I don't think it's a silly question to ask at all! In fact, I think it's an excellent question. I have 4 kids, 27, 24, 20, 14...(almost 21 and 15). It's really funny how little facets of their childhood personalities are still there. My oldest was generous, giving away his things and sometimes regretting it later...sensitive, but at the same time, hard headed. If you told him something bad was going to happen..."if you do A, B will happen"....he HAD to do it anyway. B would happen and he'd be so angry that it did! Funny, it's still that way! LOL #2.....if you told her B would happen if she did A.....she didn't do A! She believed you. She still asks question and listens closely to those who have life experience and believes that "it" can happen to you. There have been a few exceptions, but not many.

#3....Was the kind of kid that would beg daddy for something at the store. Would be told that he had to share if he got it. Agreed to it....then would throw a fit when he was made to share. Still..that's one of his occasional features...doesn't always share. Also, he had a bit of a "double standard" problem......still does.

#4...Was always a loveable snuggler....still, almost 15, still comes up and give hugs.....is gentle and sweet natured, helpful, etc.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
My adult kids changed alot in the physical area. Son was premature and very small. I worried about his being a short man but at 29 he is 6 feet and quite handsome. He was what used to be called "strong willed" he still is but now we call it "pain in the a**"
He was always very curious and had to see how things worked and would never take anybody's word for anything. He is a scientist now.

Daughter was adopted at 3 months. She was rolly polly and when I saw her for the first time I thought "Oh my goodness" She stayed quite chubby thru childhood and when she was a baby we called her the Happy Basketball. She is 27 and is 4'10" and weighs less than 100. Nothing chubby about her at all. She loved music (like most children) but she stayed with it all thru college and into adulthood.
She was a people pleaser (except her mother) all her life and still is.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
I love this topic, OP. Having a 3 year old, I'd love to hear how other's kids turned out too.

I don't think a day goes by when I don't wonder the same things as you.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
My biggest surprise was that the one I worried about the most turned out to be The Rock. As a child he was sensitive and tentative. A bit of a follower. He was the worrier. The observer. But I think he was storing up things by noticing everything and being clued into everyone's feelings.

Now he's the one people go to when they need something. Especially emotional support. He's the person his friends call at two in the morning because they were fired from their jobs and their boyfriends are louses and the cat has run away. I thought the two "louder" ones would be "The Guy". But even they turn to him for advice. I was told when he was little that he was an Old Soul. I thought it was a lot of New Age/Hippie foo-foo but those people were right.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,158,501 times
My oldest daughter was always a little "adult". ALWAYS. It was like I had a three-year-old THIRTY-year-old, if you know what I mean. I never spanked her, explanations for not doing something always worked. You could reason with her and she'd understand. (You don't run out in the street or you'll get hit by a car, etc.) The only really naughty thing I remember her doing was when she was four, she did a mural of stick figures in chocolate syrup on the living room rug. This was so totally out of character. When I asked, "WHY?", she matter of factly answered, "I was bored." I got out the rug cleaner and we cleaned it up together, and she willingly helped, telling me the whole time how sorry she was. How can you stay angry at a kid like that?

She was also reading fluently by age 5, and at 11 was reading adult books (she loved the John Jakes historical novels). To this day, she'd rather read than watch TV, and has shelves of books in every room of her apartment. As a teen, she didn't do the normal bad things (sex, alcohol, drugs), not because I had to lecture her, but because she didn't want to do anything "stupid". At 13, she took an interest in her grandparents' health food business, and now (at 25), she is running the business and has added another store. Thinking back on that serious little girl, there was so much there of the adult she would become.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM

4,111 posts, read 3,074,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My biggest surprise was that the one I worried about the most turned out to be The Rock. As a child he was sensitive and tentative. A bit of a follower. He was the worrier. The observer. But I think he was storing up things by noticing everything and being clued into everyone's feelings.

Now he's the one people go to when they need something. Especially emotional support. He's the person his friends call at two in the morning because they were fired from their jobs and their boyfriends are louses and the cat has run away. I thought the two "louder" ones would be "The Guy". But even they turn to him for advice. I was told when he was little that he was an Old Soul. I thought it was a lot of New Age/Hippie foo-foo but those people were right.
I'm happy to read this... my 10 year old son is just like what you described. A follower, a worrier, tentative, sensitive. My 7-year-old daughter is the one who decides what she wants, and come hell or high water, is determined to get it. I'm so excited and eager to see what type of people they become!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,906,286 times
My kids are young adults. One is out on his own and the other two go to school and live at home. I will tell you that if I had to do it all again, I would have definitely spent more time with them. Good luck with your children!!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM

904 posts, read 2,536,461 times
I have two young adults. The oldest is very much like he was as a child. He is intelligent and curious. As a child he was always getting into things and usually breaking them. One day, totally exasperated, I said "why would do that?" He said, "I wanted to know how it worked." That has been the theme of his life. At 22 he is still curious. He tinkers with everything but has aquired the skills to fix most of his mistakes. He is a senior in college. A bright, wonderful young man.

My daughter was always the daredevil in the family. She would do anything. Now, at 18 she has developed fear. I don't know what changed her. She still looks just like the same little girl she was but she seems to be afraid to start the rest of her life. She was always very stubborn as a child and still is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or