U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

42 posts, read 117,212 times

Advertisements

Has anyone bought or used these with their kids?

If so, what do you think about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
They look like a less intricate form of lincoln logs. Which would be great for creative youngsters, I imagine. I liked my lincoln logs much more than I liked my legos. And I loved my legos.

These kapra blocks also seem as though they'd attract older kids and even adults. The only concern I could think of, is with regards to Paranoid American Parents worried that sharp corners might poke out Johnny's eye. Considering that kids in France have been using them for a couple of decades and I've never heard of any French kid poking an eye out from a Kapra block, it'd probably just end up another one of those "things American children are just too TOO delicate and speshul to be allowed to touch."

I think they're pretty cool though.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,472,158 times
Our local museum of science and history has a large section of these and indeed they can be quite fun.

However, they are best suited for someone with lots of patience and time to spend on them. It takes time and effort to learn how best to use them without them coming down every time you touch them. That makes it frustrating for many younger kids and sometimes too time consuming for older kids.

Also, one child may work long and hard on building something pretty neat only to have a younger sibling knock it down in a flash.

I think they are great for an occasional play time, but I wouldn't invest lots of money for my own family.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 PM

21,148 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Never heard of them so I Googled them....are they just flat-ish rectangular pieces of wood? Many of the designs were cool. I probably would have preferred them to Lincoln Logs (which I found annoying because they only fit together a certain way which I thought was limiting). They were pretty pricey though. IDK. Does anybody just build stuff with Dominoes anymore? Or playing cards? I can't tell you how many summer vacation hours were spent seeing who could build the biggest house of cards....or the most intricate trail of Dominoes....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Never heard of them so I Googled them....are they just flat-ish rectangular pieces of wood? Many of the designs were cool. I probably would have preferred them to Lincoln Logs (which I found annoying because they only fit together a certain way which I thought was limiting). They were pretty pricey though. IDK. Does anybody just build stuff with Dominoes anymore? Or playing cards? I can't tell you how many summer vacation hours were spent seeing who could build the biggest house of cards....or the most intricate trail of Dominoes....
For us it was book houses. My girls make books houses for their Polly Pockets (but don't tell my 11 y.o. that I said she plays with Polly Pockets).

But the Kapla blocks look cool.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,382,948 times
They are wonderful and well worth EVERY PENNY. They are pricey, but so amazing. They can be used for building, games, and even to teach math (you can probably google that).

Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
As for the whole knocking down concern, that's part of the FUN of using blocks of any kind. It's part of the point, it's one of the lessons you teach children, that is SO necessary to learn.

You learn that beauty is fleeting, but infinitely valueable. You learn that the journey is far more important than the destination. You learn that working toward something, is more important than having something. It is a life lesson, taught with simple planks of wood.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,248,179 times
I looked on Kapla's website & these blocks are definitely for a specific age. Very pricey, but I would think if one has a tactile child over the age of 7 or 8, these would be a lot of fun. Some really neat designs. I could see my #1 really liking these.

For families of young toddlers, not age appropriate. It would a disaster in the making in my home w/ a 3yo & 5yo. I'm sure there are families out their whose 3yo's have keep their hands to themselves at the right times, mine is just not one of them yet.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,921,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Never heard of them so I Googled them....are they just flat-ish rectangular pieces of wood?
They are, but they are carefully made & equally weighted, so they hold their place better than similar blocks might.

Worth every penny, indeed! They're great for winter indoor building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or