U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,972,475 times

Advertisements

Replies on the BMJ article, published by BMJ

Replies to Six months of exclusive breast feeding: how good is the evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM

6,126 posts, read 5,180,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Careful, you're about to be barraged with links from the La Leche League just before being tarred, feathered and run out of town.

My cousin was a disciple of the La Leche League, and she almost starved her child. She was determined not to give him any solid food until he was a year old. He was constantly crying and latched onto her boob 24/7. She could hardly go anywhere. She finally, grudgingly, started giving him some cereal at 7 months.

I, myself, raised two healthy children on formula and started them on solid food at a couple months. They have never had any allergies, tubes in their ears, etc.

To each his own. You have to follow your own motherly instincts and do what you know is best for YOUR child, not follow a blueprint for someone else's.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My cousin was a disciple of the La Leche League, and she almost starved her child. She was determined not to give him any solid food until he was a year old. He was constantly crying and latched onto her boob 24/7. She could hardly go anywhere. She finally, grudgingly, started giving him some cereal at 7 months.

I, myself, raised two healthy children on formula and started them on solid food at a couple months. They have never had any allergies, tubes in their ears, etc.

To each his own. You have to follow your own motherly instincts and do what you know is best for YOUR child, not follow a blueprint for someone else's.
Just to clarify, LLL follows the same guidelines as pediatricians when it comes to introducing solids. They don't tell mothers to wait until the baby is a year old.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,812,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Interesting new study that exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months may not be best, and beginning to wean to solids as early as 4 months may prevent anemia and allergies:
Breastfeeding study raises doubts over guidelines - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110114/ts_afp/healthchildrenresearchbritain - broken link)
Just goes to show you that recommendations are changing all the time.
This cracks me up. When my youngest was born, the doctor feared she'd have allergies and ORDERED me to exclusively breast feed for, at least, six months. They were so worried about her, they immunized me instead of her and then started her shots later.

When my oldest was born, the doctor recommended co sleeping to reduce the risk of SIDS. I believe they've reversed that one too.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They were so worried about her, they immunized me instead of her and then started her shots later.

When my oldest was born, the doctor recommended co sleeping to reduce the risk of SIDS. I believe they've reversed that one too.
I have never heard of either of these recommendations before.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM

85,086 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Nor I, and we together have at least 50 years expereince in maternal-child health.

New moms will sometimes get an MMR shot, if they are not immune to rubella, after delivery. It has long been recommended that moms get their tetanus booster during pregnancy if it is due. Now the vaccine is tetanus, diptheria and pertussis. The point is to protect the baby by immunizing the mom and all caregivers, until the baby's immunzations can be complete.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-17-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Just to clarify, LLL follows the same guidelines as pediatricians when it comes to introducing solids. They don't tell mothers to wait until the baby is a year old.

When my cousin's child was born, it was in the 70's when natural childbirth and breastfeeding came into vogue. Back then, according to her, LLL recommended "no solids until age one". She was all gung ho about natural childbirth and breastfeeding - it was THE thing back then. Anything LLL recommended, was THE LAW.

I (despite my cousin's well meaning lectures) opted for an epidural both deliveries, formula fed, and started mine early on solids. Both my cousin's children (breastfed) had horrible allergies, were diagnosed with hyperactivity and ADD, and had constant ear infections resulting in the "tube" operation when they were two. Mine had neither allergies nor constant ear infections (once or twice that I can remember) and were hardly ever sick.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-18-2011 at 04:48 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,812,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Immunizing the mother was new to me too. According to my doctor, at the time (retired), immunizing the mother passes immunity to the baby so the baby doesn't have to start their shots until they're older (he was not a fan of starting immunizations for babies at birth). There were, apparently, indications at birth that my daughter was susceptable to allergies and averse reactions. They never said what the issue was only that they wanted to wait on starting her shots and felt the safest route was immunizing me. She did have the entire series of shots. She just started them later and got one at a time instead of multiples. They were very cautious about immunizing her. My guess is something the doctor had seen before that he suspected resulted in issues during the immunization process. He never gave a reason but you could see his concern right after she was born.

Co sleeping was recommended by many when my oldest was born including our pedicatrician as was side sleeping. Then it was back sleeping. I don't know what it is now. The point is, they keep changing their minds. I think they do this to give mothers gray hair. We co-slept with both of our girls. Never had an issue other than dd#2 snored.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Immunizing the mother was new to me too. According to my doctor, at the time (retired), immunizing the mother passes immunity to the baby so the baby doesn't have to start their shots until they're older (he was not a fan of starting immunizations for babies at birth). There were, apparently, indications at birth that my daughter was susceptable to allergies and averse reactions. They never said what the issue was only that they wanted to wait on starting her shots and felt the safest route was immunizing me. She did have the entire series of shots. She just started them later and got one at a time instead of multiples. They were very cautious about immunizing her. My guess is something the doctor had seen before that he suspected resulted in issues during the immunization process. He never gave a reason but you could see his concern right after she was born.

Co sleeping was recommended by many when my oldest was born including our pedicatrician as was side sleeping. Then it was back sleeping. I don't know what it is now. The point is, they keep changing their minds. I think they do this to give mothers gray hair. We co-slept with both of our girls. Never had an issue other than dd#2 snored.

When my oldest was born, I was advised to "lay her on her stomach". Now, they adamantly recommend against it. No one back then (1986) suggested co-sleeping either, though my husband enjoyed sometimes helping with the nightly feedings and started putting her to sleep on his chest (laying her on her stomach). We ended up in the habit of having her in bed with us - my mother and mother-in-law really lectured against it - but it never did any harm. When she got older, she always ended up in our bed - even at age five when she started bringing the guinea pig with her. It was the four of us - DH, me, our daughter, and the piggy in bed (somehow, she never had any "accidents"). Later, it was DH, me, daughter, baby sister, and the piggy.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,972,475 times
To clarify, LLL recommends waiting to introduce solids for at least 6 months but does not discourage waiting longer if you desire, up to 12 months. They say that breastmilk should be the child's primary form of nutrition (comprising >50%) until at least the first birthday, at which point solids may start to make up the majority of the child's nutrition. I am not a LLL leader, but I have been a member for 4+ years, and this is the message I have taken from them.

Also to clarify, the article cited by the OP does not introduce a new recommendation. It is merely an opinion piece which questions the current recommendations. While it is possible that the recommendations will change over time as more information is known, that is not what has happened at this time. Current recommendations from medical bodies say to exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months and introduce solid foods either around or after 6 months, with continued breastfeeding until at least 12 or 24 months (depending on the organization).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting