U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Reputation: 30261

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
They already are an economic super power....but the fact remains they need us more then we need them....so it's not to our benefit to learn Chinese. The threats of the Chinese is overtaking the world economy is overstated just a tad. By the time china deals with it's problems and is ready to take the stage we will most likely have more of a world level government so the point is really a moot one.
How can you be so liberal and have such a blue collar mentality?

They don't need us more than we need them---they are the biggest financial lender to our goverment.

As their population starts earning more, there's a billion people to buy our products.

We can't sell to them if our businesses don't have people who speak the language to analyze and market to their population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But paganmama, the coolness factor is off the charts!

I have a Caucasian friend who speaks fluent Japanese. We walk into a sushi bar, he lets loose with a string of, "Hey! What's happening?" in Japanese to the Japanese chefs and we get the primo pieces and the best seat in the house!
Good angle to the discussion. The coolness factor might sway her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
By the time your children are going to college, it might be mandatory for certain business programs. I was researching top business programs at universities and quite a few require an international intership. At this point, the basic language is taught prior to sending the students overseas; however fifteen years from now colleges might only accepting students who already speak the language.

The reality is that currently a language is required for getting accepted to college anyways. If your child is required to learn a language to get into college anyway, why not Chinese? It's not a stretch of imagination for speaking Chinese to be a prerequisite for an international internship in China. If you know already that China will be a major player in the global economy 18 years from now, it makes sense to teach children Chinese.

Sure, you might think it's unnecessary because your child will be an artist, etc. But your child might be internationally business minded when he/she becomes an adult. He/she might regret not having the language advantage to get accepted into programs he/she wants to get into.

Of course, I don't think it's mandatory, but I think that anyone with young children should seriously consider that it will give them more options when they are ready for college though.
Hopes they told me the same thing in high school and i never took a foreign language....nor did my sister or brother....nor is my niece....it's not required to gain acceptance to my understanding. Because even the schools that do often issue waivers or allow you to take it in college. And it will be a major player on the global economy hopes but given that western economies in total will still eclipse it, and the difficulty of the language don't expect it to take over English. More than likely you will see more Chinese speaking English then vice versa. If my child wants to learn it....we will get them a teacher....but if not I'm not going to force it upon them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Reputation: 30261
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
They might do that because they want to oggle your breasts too.... . And like i said i don't see anything wrong with it, my response is mostly to the people who feel somehow Chinese will be the next world language or something.
We're not saying it will be the next world language. We're saying that China will be a major player in the global economy---much more so than it is now.

And it very well could become one of the major languages throughout the world because there are a billion of them! Someday they'll be allowed to move anywhere they want in the world. Then there will be people speaking Chinese world-wide.

There's always a business advantage to speaking a foreign language for a country that is a major player in business. If you spoke Japanese in the 80s, you were guaranteed to land a job even when the economy was crap.

And I've got news for you: you won't be able to rely on your breasts forever. You're going to get old. Your daughters will get old one day too. Breasts can only get you so far in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We're not saying it will be the next world language. We're saying that China will be a major player in the global economy---much more so than it is now.

And it very well could become one of the major languages throughout the world because there are a billion of them! Someday they'll be allowed to move anywhere they want in the world. Then there will be people speaking Chinese world-wide.

There's always a business advantage to speaking a foreign language for a country that is a major player in business. If you spoke Japanese in the 80s, you were guaranteed to land a job even when the economy was crap.



*punches hopes in the face to end the discussion* now theres an international language for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Reputation: 30261
People resort to punching when they don't have anything better to say!

You missed my edit where I told you that you couldn't rely on your breasts forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How can you be so liberal and have such a blue collar mentality?

They don't need us more than we need them---they are the biggest financial lender to our goverment.

As their population starts earning more, there's a billion people to buy our products.

We can't sell to them if our businesses don't have people who speak the language to analyze and market to their population.


Good angle to the discussion. The coolness factor might sway her!

I'm talking about our economies hopes and not accounting for the fed who overspends and constantly needs to borrow for things Americans don't benefit from.....meaning we can survive without buying chinas products....they however would suffer much if we did. The problem is as their population starts earning more they will demand more rights....hence you will begin to have instability issues in china that will effect their economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Reputation: 32243
At my age? The sushi chefs are looking at my boobs? Whoa. I don't know if I should be flattered or worry about their eyesight and the fact that they're flinging knives around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
People resort to punching when they don't have anything better to say!

You missed my edit where I told you that you couldn't rely on your breasts forever.

With stem cell research you might be wrong hopes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 9,504,324 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Hopes they told me the same thing in high school and i never took a foreign language....nor did my sister or brother....nor is my niece....it's not required to gain acceptance to my understanding.
Maybe times have changed then. I just went online to the University that my son will be applying to next year. 3 years of a single foreign language required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Maybe times have changed then. I just went online to the University that my son will be applying to next year. 3 years of a single foreign language required.

Some places do say they require is but as i said often it's waived depending on factors or they allow you to take it in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top