Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times

Advertisements

I don't see the point in learning Chinese unless you are actually going to use the language (and I mean you have concrete plans to use it, not "oh it might be useful in the future"). I live in a part of California where people speak English and/or Spanish. When I have children they will be fluent in those languages.

I am in my mid-20s. I know many people my age who learned second or third languages in school besides Spanish (specifically German, Japanese, and French), and reached a point where they were close to fluent. With one exception, I don't know a single person who actually uses the language they spent years studying. The exception is a woman who travels abroad to Japan and wants to teach in that country. All of the people I know who learned Spanish remember a good portion of it, because they actually get to use what they know in real life.

Sure, teach your kids Chinese. Unless you know some native speakers or plan on actually using the language it is a waste of time. The reason Chinese children learn English is because it is considered the most widely spoken language and that is how the business world operates.

Just as a note, I think learning other languages is important, but learn one that you will actually use!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
It is newer a waste of time to learn anything

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It is newer a waste of time to learn anything
Yep. This is especially true with languages. They exercise parts of the brains that learning other things do not exercise. Chinese is so different from English, that the parts of the brain used and connections made are vastly different. That is never a bad thing.

Plus, in many areas Chinese is very useful. In my area of southern California it is extremely useful. Both Mandarin and Cantonese are around a lot in many of my surrounding cities.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I think children should all learn more than their own language. Which language doesn't really matter so much. It's a good thing to learn just for its own sake. Also, most classes that teach languages incorporate some of the cultural education into the curriculae. Learning about the culture of the countries where these languages are spoken is equally important. Again, for its own sake.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Where is "My hovercraft is full of eel" from? I used to quote that, but now I can't remember why.

I could google it, I 'spose, but where's the fun in that when I could just ask you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I think Chinese is just as useful as many other languages. I don't think it's the ONLY language worth learning, but if the option is there then why not embrace it? It certainly would have been useful when I lived in California. I wouldn't have as much use for it on a daily basis here in Minnesota, but it would have business benefits. And, of course, languages have so many benefits that go beyond just the ability to speak to other people. It's never a waste of time, even if you rarely use it.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
[quote=♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥;17422322]

Oh that's right! Hehe. Thanks, ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
I just realised I was forced to learn Spanish. I was held against my will in a classroom with 30 other 9-year olds and our little chairs were pointed toward television sets to watch the school district's closed circut broadcasts. In the 60's! Wow! Big Brother was breathing down my neck and indoctrinating me. And the kicker is my parents thought it was a good thing.

Plus, my parents used me. We'd go on our weekend trips to Tijuana and they'd force me to speak my 4th grade Spanish with the shop keepers. All in an effort to get better prices! Surely this was against the child labor laws?

Who do I see about this?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-16-2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I do think that, within reason, kids should get a choice in the language that they choose to learn, assuming that a choice is available. I do think that learning a language SHOULD be mandatory, though, and all parents should be encouraging a second language. I can think of no negatives, and a whole lot of positives. The benefits are there even if they never actually get the chance to visit or live in China or deal with native Chinese speakers.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
In my area, children are exposed to four different languages each year throughout the middle school grades.

A different language each 9 weeks for two years. It's mandatory.

It helps students decide which language they want to learn when they enter high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting