U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:52 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,731,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
26%...that's insane! Sounds like these students need to know that there IS life after high school and that they will want to have a good job and mature some before they start having kids. Why should the kids suffer because their parents made poor decisions?
I see no mention of the size of the high school. There's a huge difference if we're talking 90 girls out of 100 or 90 girls out of 2500. The teen pregnancy rate for some states is as high as 50/1000. This may not be out of line with demographics.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-15-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 AM

3,844 posts, read 5,110,658 times
What? Not one statutory rape law in the state?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,059,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I see no mention of the size of the high school. There's a huge difference if we're talking 90 girls out of 100 or 90 girls out of 2500. The teen pregnancy rate for some states is as high as 50/1000. This may not be out of line with demographics.
The article didn't need to mention that size of the school. We already know the pregnancy rate. Those 90 are 26%. It's simple math.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times
what about the boys involved? Too many see it as a sign of manhood to father as many kids as they can without taking any responsibility for their support or welfare.

BC talks and medications are vital to get this problem under control. Folks who keep their heads in the sand about teen sexuality, sex education and available birth control of all kinds, not to mention safe legal pregnancy termination options are only making the problem worse.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,731,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The article didn't need to mention that size of the school. We already know the pregnancy rate. Those 90 are 26%. It's simple math.
No, 26% is the pregnancy rate for the zip code not the school. Though the article does say it's in line with the entire city. It would be interesting to know the demographics here. I'm going to guess this is a poor community.

I just looked, while they are below average in education and reading levels (income as well but that's relative), it doesn't look horrible. I wonder why this community has such an issue here. There has to be something going on. I couldn't find information on the unemployment rate or industry types in the area.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-15-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
No, 26% is the pregnancy rate for the zip code not the school. Though the article does say it's in line with the entire city.
Another article reported the student population at 800 (male & female). The lower rate at the school compared to the zip code is most likely due to drop outs.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know the demographics here. I'm going to guess this is a poor community.

I just looked, while they are below average in education and reading levels (income as well but that's relative), it doesn't look horrible. I wonder why this community has such an issue here. There has to be something going on. I couldn't find information on the unemployment rate or industry types in the area.
I looked at the demographics earlier today and didn't see anything that stood out as THE reason either. It's an impoverished area but other impoverished areas in the country have lower teen pregancy rates. It's reported as a high crime area. Some comments at the end of news articles are blaming welfare. Maybe Tennessee doesn't have welfare reform like other areas of the country perhaps? In my area, people don't get extra money for each child and they're only allowed to have welfare for maximum of 5 years in their lifetime. Maybe Tennessee's welfare system still allows people to stay on welfare indefinitately and rewards having more children---like welfare did in the past. I don't know. Just an idea.

edited to add: I just checked into Tennessee's welfare reform and there is a 60 month lifetime max. I guess welfare isn't the reason either.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,779,336 times
Maybe the boys aren't mentioned because it's not known whether or not the fathers are students at the school; they may not even be "boys," but much older men. Certainly they are part of the problem.

I don't know about the STD rate at that school, but would assume that given the obviously high levels of unprotected sex going on that it's also higher than normal.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
what about the boys involved? Too many see it as a sign of manhood to father as many kids as they can without taking any responsibility for their support or welfare.
You'd be surprised. They're not getting off free financially. My husband had a few employees who had 10 children to 10 different mothers. Almost thier entire paychecks go to child support. They're earning 90k to 100k per year and only getting to keep $600 per month for themselves. Yet they continue to get more women pregnant. Boggles the mind.

Granted, the amount of money the mothers are getting doesn't support the children. It's mind boggling that the men would continue to produce children when they are basically impoverished by paying child support. It doesn't make sense why they keep having children. But I assure you they are not living a high lifestyle while their children go without.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,731,674 times
Blaming the media is rubbish, total rubbish. What's more - it's a red herring that will take the energy away from the community on finding the real reason this is happening.

These girls are watching the same TV and listening to the same music that the rest of the country's HS students watch and listen to. For that matter, the US has way more teen pregnancies that the rest of the industrialized world, and TV is way more racy in most countries than it is in the US. How come the rest of the world's teens aren't getting pregnant at this rate?

There is a big leap from the "media" glamorizing sex and the girls making the decision to have babies. Because they're actively making this decision. They know how babies are made and what birth control is. Having sex is one thing, choosing to have a baby is an entirely different thing that takes a particular mindset.

I believe that it has more to do with these girls' investment in their own future. If they don't have dreams and goals, if they aren't working towards being something that's important to them that having a baby is going to ruin, then why not? They get attention, and they get the misguided hope that the baby will love them and make them feel important and valued.

These girls need to be taught that they are already an important part of their communities, without being mothers. They need to be shown that there is a life out there away from their surroundings of dead end jobs and fast food restaurants, and welfare. They need to have confidence in themselves so that they won't be doing this to hold onto the "love" of the baby daddy. They need to be shown that there are things to achieve and how to achieve them.

They need to be shown that they are too important to us, to throw themselves away like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting