U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,131,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
The abusive kind where the kid gets beating for low SAT scores and bad grades
I haven't met anyone who was beat for grades/SATs, mostly for social infractions like ditching school, talking back, sneaking out, premarital sex, or getting in trouble with the law. But then again nobody got bad grades/SATs. I was a terrible pain in the butt and I would get into fights and be punished at school, at home, wherever... can't do anything right except get straight A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the Asians I hang out with are some rare breed. I can assure you that intellectual, disciplined Asians do indeed know how to rock out and have fun. Some of the best parties I've been to have been hosted by Asians.

Anyone been to a traditional Chinese 10 course wedding dinner and reception? Toast after toast with the best wines and champagnes. Dancing. Gambling. Poker. Mahjong. "Those Asians" start clinking their spoons on their champagne flutes and the bride and groom have to kiss and all the guests have to take a swig... Wow. They put the Polish to shame and I know Polish weddings.

One of the funniest guys I know was born in mainland China and came to the U.S. in his 20's. The party is not complete until Ting walks through the door.
I think this is actually pretty much on par. A lot of Asians love having fun and trying out diverse new social activities, and are well adjusted. Not me though... but it is not due to parenting issues.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,384,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have not seen that ad on any mainstream media. Is it only playing on the Salem Communications radio stations?

Hotair was launched by Michelle Malken, but it was bought out by Salem Communications which is a Christian broadcasting network of radio stations.
I have personally seen it aired many times on FOX and this article states that it has also aired on CNN and CNBC.

Citizens Against Government Waste Advertisement: Chinese Professor

Last edited by maja; 01-16-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,343,478 times
How about we all just concern ourselves with the way we raise our own children, and let other people do what they feel is best for their own children. What one group of people do to stress the importance of good grades may not be your cup of tea, but it works for them. Who are we to judge?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I have personally seen it aired many times on FOX and this article states that it has also aired on CNN and CNBC.

Citizens Against Government Waste Advertisement: Chinese Professor
Oh... I don't watch FOX..... <g>

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,378,573 times
There are lots of studies on exams in Asia . . . and a lot of stress related to the demands. Ck it out.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,744,769 times
Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com

i'm going to read the book that the lady wrote. looks interesting. i could never be that strict, but many "western" parents are way too lax.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,935,903 times
To answer the OP's question, I would imagine what happens to the Asian kids with really strict parents is the same thing that happens to any kid with strict parents. Some will remember and adhere to what their parents have taught them, and others will rebel.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,703,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I believe the Virginia Tech incident involved an Asian kid.
Yes, he was Korean.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,066,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Yes, he was Korean.
Truthfully, I don't think being Asian had anything to do with his shooting spree- he was a messed up person and I'm almost positive that having a strict parents did not have a whole lot to do with that.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
The abusive kind where the kid gets beating for low SAT scores and bad grades
I'm an Asian-American who went to a high school with 50% Asians. I do not know a single Asian person who was "beat" by their parents. Strict and mean, yes, but not physical abuse.

From my experience, I feel that Asian kids tend to exaggerate how strict their parents are (even I was guilty of this). Somehow if your parents were stricter or say "more Asian", it was a point of pride because you were perceived as tougher and garnered sympathy. Obviously, this was childish middle-school/early high school stuff but nevertheless this may contribute to the image of nasty Asian parents.

Yes, there are incredibly strict parents (which are the only ones we hear about), however, most parents I know are quite reasonable. Besides, not being able to go out and party, spending 75% of your day watching TV or getting straight B's in school seems quite reasonable to me (considering how damn easy high school is now a days).

Even my friends I know who had particularly strict parents are perfectly fine. They all went on to find successful high-paying careers (doctors, lawyers, accountants) and are quite happy. Some rebelled against their parents during college, but they are all still close with their parents and value family.

With all the "spoiled" and "lazy" kids now a days, I find it strange that we perceive Asian parents as being too strict. You may not understand Asian culture and view Asian parents as cold and abusive. However, the majority of Asian kids are appreciative for the discipline. I was taught to always appreciate my education and to work hard, to be thrifty and save money and to plan ahead for the future. At the same time, my exposure to American culture has also taught me to how to let loose, have fun and learn to live a little bit. I feel like it's the perfect balance.

The horror stories you hear about Asian parents are mostly over-exaggerated and aren't too common. Yes, Asian parents are stricter in general compared to other cultures, but hey I wouldn't worry too much jgamibi, we "oppressed" and "abused" asian kids turn out just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or