U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM

803 posts, read 949,740 times

Advertisements

Like I hear stories about how some Asian kids get beat with a ruler or are forced to stand on one leg for hours if they make a B in school here in the US. Like when they finish high school and stuff, do they end up being the kids who make six figures? (since good grades in high school get you into a good university which correlates to a well paying job)

Personal experience, I have known 2 kids with parents like that.

One was an Indian kid, 4.0 HS GPA and 2350 GPA. He went off to Harvard and now his sister tells me he is depressed because he could handle the independence that college gave him. The kid has a low GPA (way too low for med school) and that is about all I heard.

One was a Korean kid, he got a full ride to state university but ended up blowing it because he partied too much in college.

I know most should end up being successful but anyways, what have your experiences been with this?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Asian students have a high suicide rate. Quite high in comparison to their percentage in the schools.

Asian Americans' Rising Suicide Rates -- Three Students Take their Lives - NAM

Quote:
Popular opinion may project Asians and Asian Americans as super achievers, scoring high on the SAT, dominating prestigious colleges and working as high-paid professionals, but the dark side of that narrative is that they are much more likely than the average American to commit suicide, according to a recent report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-15-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 02:16 AM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
having grown up & gone to school in Cali with many asians, I can tell you that they seem well-adjusted & even-tempered in college & throughout their young adult years at work. Granted, i don't know much about their home life and can't point out which ones were beaten by their dad's or cussed out by their mom's, but I've never come across any Asian colleagues who've had anger management problems or control-freak issues. Let's put it this way, I've never met any Asian kid who seemed off-balance like that Tucson wacko or Virginia tech psycho.

The one tendency I've noticed about Asian-Americans (and I don't want to stereotype) is that they're task-oriented & very focused. They really take to heart the idea of work before pleasure, which motivates all of us (regardless of race or nationality) to put in more effort during crunch time.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Let's put it this way, I've never met any Asian kid who seemed off-balance like that Tucson wacko or Virginia tech psycho.
Mental illness does not discriminate. It can strike any ethnic group. I personally know an Asian family who has an adult child with mental illness. And it's had nothing to do with his upbringing.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

645 posts, read 835,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Let's put it this way, I've never met any Asian kid who seemed off-balance like that Tucson wacko or Virginia tech psycho.
I believe the Virginia Tech incident involved an Asian kid.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Mental illness does not discriminate. It can strike any ethnic group. I personally know an Asian family who has an adult child with mental illness. And it's had nothing to do with his upbringing.
Correct. Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, was South Korean and suffered from severe disorders. I really doubt that had anything to do with his upbringing, either.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Correct. Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, was South Korean and suffered from severe disorders. I really doubt that had anything to do with his upbringing, either.
I think it did

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM

6,046 posts, read 9,730,792 times
I think it's important for parents to give their kids freedom. If you don't give them any freedom, they won't be able to handle the freedom in college. Let's face it...when they go to college, they're suddenly immersed into an environment with freedom and their parents aren't there to say no. My parents gave me some freedom, but they also raised me in such a way that I wouldn't want to do bad things.

I know a senior in high school with extremely strict parents. Some people say she'll go crazy with freedom when she goes to college.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I think it's important for parents to give their kids freedom. If you don't give them any freedom, they won't be able to handle the freedom in college. Let's face it...when they go to college, they're suddenly immersed into an environment with freedom and their parents aren't there to say no. My parents gave me some freedom, but they also raised me in such a way that I wouldn't want to do bad things.

I know a senior in high school with extremely strict parents. Some people say she'll go crazy with freedom when she goes to college.
LOL, believe me, Asian parents move in near you when you go to college =)

Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,593,891 times
I'm glad that my parents were not strict at all. I'm also glad that my parents did not grew with that mentality, Ivy league = six or more figures. It may be true, but my parents only want their kids to do their best which I find it such to be an encouraging thing. I hate to generalize but it seems like this mentality has a lot to do with mostly Korean, Japanese and Chinese. I rarely see this with the Southeast Asians (again, this is base on my personal observation), and Hmong people are on the bottom of the list when it comes to education. I have heard stories from other Asians (mostly younger siblings) that their older siblings are having a hard time with education and thus lead to depression. Their parents are strict, but then again, I guess it depends on their parents because not all parents are strict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or