U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 22,139,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Orange juice is not a common choice in our house because it spikes the blood sugar numbers too much, especially for my husband who is borderline diabetic.
We too are careful about many fruit juices. With all the sugar that is "hiding" in places you don't expect it...everyone needs to be aware of how much sugar is in our diets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM

21,148 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Hopes I'm wondering if your potassium issue isn't so much not getting enough but maybe you're not absorbing it for some reason?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I've never been one to focus on any specific nutrient like that, instead making sure there are balanced meals. So I googled to see what food are rich in potassium out of curiosity.
That's why I'm confused. We do eat healthy balanced meals here too. I never focused on one nutrient either until I discovered accidently that we weren't getting enough potassuim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Oranges are a lower source, juice much higher, but not the highest source. These are a few things listed, with the average adult needing 3100-3500 mg daily:
raisins,1 cup - 1089 mg
baked potato -1081 mg
lima beans, 1 cup - 955 mg
canned tomato sauce, 1 cup - 909 mg
winter squash, 1 cup - 896 mg
cooked spinach, 1 cup - 839 mg
dried prunes, 1 cup - 828 mg
prune juice, 1 cup - 707 mg
things over 500 mg were - bananas, cooked beets and brussel sprouts, plain yogurt and skim milk
orange juice was just under 500 and oranges were at 237

Orange juice is not a common choice in our house because it spikes the blood sugar numbers too much, especially for my husband who is borderline diabetic.
I've looked those up too. That's what blows my mind. We eat potatoes all the time! We eat potatos more than we should. It's considered a starch. We eat spinach about two times per week---I add it to casseroles, pastas and salads. I usually have spagetti once a week so we get it from canned tomato sauce too. And we all eat a banana or two each week.

The label on the orange juice says 2,300 mg. I checked every single container at the store. They all said 2,300 mg. I guess that was for the entire container. But the doctor said citrus and specifically orange juice.

I'm confused as to how we all have low potassium. It's not health related. We all have the same levels.

We're supposed to have 4.7 grams per day. That means we need 4,700 mgs per day.

I guess most families might be slightly deficient on potassium.

EVERYONE, look at this detailed list (below) of foods that contain potassium along with daily values and tell me if everyone in your house eats enough food to almost 5,000 mg of potassium per day.

Potassium and Health

The reason this concerns me is my sister died at age 38 due to congestive heart failure that resulted from low potassium.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes I'm wondering if your potassium issue isn't so much not getting enough but maybe you're not absorbing it for some reason?
That was my first thought when I realized my potassium was low. But my entire family has low potassium, including my husband and he's not genetically related to me.

There aren't really health issues that cause low potassium, except kidney. We can't all have bad kidneys to the very exact potassium blood test levels.

These are the things that cause potassium deficiency:

Quote:
The kidneys regulate the level of potassium in the body. Potassium deficiency is not common but may result from excessive losses due to severe diarrhea, poor diabetic control, low-calorie diets (less than 800 calories per day), chronic alcoholism, hard exercise, or some diuretics and laxatives.
None of those things apply to us. It has to be all diet---I'm embarrassed to say.

My vitamin D deficiency was all diet too because I stopped drinking milk 10 years prior. I don't know why I stopped drinking milk. I like milk. I started drinking it again.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Although this doesn't pertain to my family (we're not excersising hard here these days), this is interesting thinking a back to when my children played sports:

Quote:
One cup of orange juice, a banana or a potato is sufficient to replace the potassium lost during one to two hours of hard exercise. Sport drinks are poor sources of potassium.

Potassium and Health
That's for replacing extra potassium lost during excersise in addition to daily requirements.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
Hopes, if you're all having the exact same potassium levels according to this doctor's test results, have you ruled out the possibility that the test was flawed?

It doesn't make any sense at all that four people, one of whom has no blood relation to another (you and your husband), could have the exact same test results. Digestive systems are not identical; one person might absorb potassium more or less efficiently than another, even if they're all eating the exact same things, in the exact same proportions. If every one of you is eating *exactly* 2 cups of potatoes, adding *exactly* a 1/16 teaspoon of salt, with *exactly* 1/4 teaspoon of butter, you'll still not necessarily absorb it in the *exact* same way.

It sounds to me more like there's something wrong with the test, and not something wrong with your entire family.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,733,695 times
A few years ago I started learning about proper food combining. It has helped our family quite a bit (we had calcium issues). Here's a link: Food Combining Quick Reference Charts

Sometimes even if we're eating healthy, if we're eating the wrong combination of foods together our bodies don't absorb what they need as they should. I wonder if perhaps this could be the issue with the OP's low potassium issue?

I'm in the same boat with my family as some of you, though - if I don't cut up or prepare the veggies or fuit or healthy meals/snacks, they won't do it for themselves! What's with that, huh?

So I just cut it up and keep it out in a covered tray in the kitchen every day for them to snack on in-between meals. They "graze" and also will get a bowl or plate out and fix themselves a plate of it. But if I didn't fix the trays, they would just wait until mealtimes to eat. I don't know what's going to happen when I go back to work... these lazy bums are going to either starve or find someone else to do all the cutting up for them! Sheesh!

Instead of ranch (which we used to do that, too...) we now do homemade hummus, salsa, or a smoky black bean dip that I've perfected over the years. I make pesto that they love, too, in the summertime when our basil is fresh. Or they dip in something called "Yumm! sauce" which is something made locally here in Eugene where we live. (Welcome to Cafe Yumm! | Soul satisfying... Deeply nourishing) I buy the liter bottle of that stuff and we put it on everything and the kids love to use it as a dip for veggies. I've tried making the yumm sauce myself but I can't get the recipe right. It's a mystery!

I love my food processor! Great for making fresh dips for veggies as well as things to go into the food dehydrator for things like sprouted pizza crusts and flat breads. I also make a "broccomole". It's like guacomole but with broccoli. I found the recipe in a raw foods recipe book. The kids actually like a lot of the "raw food" recipes I try. They especially love the raw pad thai I make. Instead of traditional noodles, I use a spiral slicer to turn yellow squash into fresh noodles for the pad thai. It's really delicious. That's an Alyssa Cohen recipe. The Living & Raw Food Diet - Alissa Cohen

Sorry - don't get me started on talking about food. I can go on forever!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Hopes, if you're all having the exact same potassium levels according to this doctor's test results, have you ruled out the possibility that the test was flawed?

It doesn't make any sense at all that four people, one of whom has no blood relation to another (you and your husband), could have the exact same test results. Digestive systems are not identical; one person might absorb potassium more or less efficiently than another, even if they're all eating the exact same things, in the exact same proportions. If every one of you is eating *exactly* 2 cups of potatoes, adding *exactly* a 1/16 teaspoon of salt, with *exactly* 1/4 teaspoon of butter, you'll still not necessarily absorb it in the *exact* same way.

It sounds to me more like there's something wrong with the test, and not something wrong with your entire family.
We were tested by three different labs. My husband and I were tested at two different hospitals that are under separate health systems. There's no connection between any of the testing facilities. After my husband increased is potassium intake for two days, he was retested and his levels are fine. Clearly, he will need to continue that intake for his levels to stay that way.

I'm not saying there is something wrong with my family. There is clearly something wrong with our diet. I just couldn't figure out how that was possible. But now I'm beginning to see. We eat about 2 to 3 servings 300mg to 500mg of potassium per day. But daily requirements dictate that we need way more than that per day since we're supposed to have 4,7 grams (4,700mg) per day.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
I don't know that any of us are lacking a particular nutrient. The kids usually split a banana at breakfast. We get clementines because they are easy to peel and eat. DS 5 has no problem eating fruits and veggies. He'll eat a whole apple. I don't even have to cut it up. DS 7 is more of a challenge. I recently put him and I on Juice Plus in hopes that it would help our all around health. We all take multi vitamines. I'm starting to make healthier choices at the grocery store a little at a time. I am trying to cut out artificial colors. I'm buying Annie's instead of Kraft Mac-n-cheese, grass fed beef, omega eggs... I want to get a freezer for the garage so I can buy a whole (or half) cow at a time. I'm hoping these few changes will help our overall health and help me lose a few pounds too. The kids aren't fans of the new healthier yogurt. So far that's my biggest problem.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,733,695 times
Oh... here's a thought: try drinking young coconut milk. It's actually really good! It's good stuff and has potassium... google it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting