Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm just amazed at how excluding orange juice can make a huge health difference when we eat other high potassium rich foods.

It blows my mind that just excluding one food can make such a huge difference on an entire family's health!

My sister has a son who is a very picky eater. His skin is super pale and he has dark circles under his eyes. He must be deficient in everything!

I've recommended that she shave veggies into sauces of food he will eat. I'm not sure if he eats any sauces though.

I've only seen him eat what I call 'finger foods' but only meats and plain pastas and breads. I swear the kid only eats from two food groups.

My kids LOVE clementines. I buy them by the box. They are easy to peel, easy to eat and no seeds.

I buy the already cut carrots and celery sticks. Like others my kids actually like veggies but are lazy if they have to work to eat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
A few years ago I started learning about proper food combining. It has helped our family quite a bit (we had calcium issues). Here's a link: Food Combining Quick Reference Charts

Sometimes even if we're eating healthy, if we're eating the wrong combination of foods together our bodies don't absorb what they need as they should. I wonder if perhaps this could be the issue with the OP's low potassium issue?
That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the link. I'll research that a bit and see if it rings any bells.

Quote:
'm in the same boat with my family as some of you, though - if I don't cut up or prepare the veggies or fuit or healthy meals/snacks, they won't do it for themselves! What's with that, huh?

So I just cut it up and keep it out in a covered tray in the kitchen every day for them to snack on in-between meals. They "graze" and also will get a bowl or plate out and fix themselves a plate of it. But if I didn't fix the trays, they would just wait until mealtimes to eat. I don't know what's going to happen when I go back to work... these lazy bums are going to either starve or find someone else to do all the cutting up for them! Sheesh!
My children are the same way. If I take a plate of cut up fruit or veggies to my children and place it in front of them, they will eat it. If I don't, they some downstairs and grab a piece of bread for a snack. A mere peice of bread! I'm tempted to stop buying bread! LOL Before I do that, I'll try just leaving a tray on the kitchen counter and see if they pick from that instead.

Quote:
Instead of ranch (which we used to do that, too...) we now do homemade hummus, salsa, or a smoky black bean dip that I've perfected over the years. I make pesto that they love, too, in the summertime when our basil is fresh. Or they dip in something called "Yumm! sauce" which is something made locally here in Eugene where we live. (Welcome to Cafe Yumm! | Soul satisfying... Deeply nourishing) I buy the liter bottle of that stuff and we put it on everything and the kids love to use it as a dip for veggies. I've tried making the yumm sauce myself but I can't get the recipe right. It's a mystery!

I love my food processor! Great for making fresh dips for veggies as well as things to go into the food dehydrator for things like sprouted pizza crusts and flat breads. I also make a "broccomole". It's like guacomole but with broccoli. I found the recipe in a raw foods recipe book. The kids actually like a lot of the "raw food" recipes I try. They especially love the raw pad thai I make. Instead of traditional noodles, I use a spiral slicer to turn yellow squash into fresh noodles for the pad thai. It's really delicious. That's an Alyssa Cohen recipe. The Living & Raw Food Diet - Alissa Cohen

Sorry - don't get me started on talking about food. I can go on forever!
Please do go on forever! That' what the thread is about!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I want to get a freezer for the garage so I can buy a whole (or half) cow at a time.
I want a separate freezer too! I could really save money on many things if I had the freezer space!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh... here's a thought: try drinking young coconut milk. It's actually really good! It's good stuff and has potassium... google it!
Is it good? I'm afraid. I don't like coconut. I'll try it though. Liquid form might not be as bad as the coconut shavings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My kids LOVE clementines. I buy them by the box. They are easy to peel, easy to eat and no seeds.

I buy the already cut carrots and celery sticks. Like others my kids actually like veggies but are lazy if they have to work to eat them
I'll have give clementines a try. Hubby bought a box a few weeks ago. They did eat 2/3 of it before I had to toss it. I'll admit, I'm not one to eat oranges. I'm guilty of being lazy in the orange department myself. I always hated biting into that thick skin to get them started. YUCK! But clementines have thinner skin that will tear with the fingers so maybe I'll eat one and see how it goes. If I like them, maybe the family will go through the entire box before 1/3 of them go bad.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
And make your own mac and cheese - it is SO much tastier, SO much more filling, SO much more satisfactory...omg..boxed mac and cheese? Never more. Never ever ever again. I used to live off Kraft. Tried Annie's, was blander but basically the same thing. Make the real thing; you can make huge batches, cut them into squares, freeze the squares individually with saran, and people can nuke just one portion at a time when they want something to eat. Nuke with left-over chicken and a palmful of peas, and you have a complete meal.

Coconut flakes are *heavily* sweetened. Coconut milk is very bland, has a distinctive, but very vague flavor of its own.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is it good? I'm afraid. I don't like coconut. I'll try it though. Liquid form might not be as bad as the coconut shavings.

I'll have give clementines a try. Hubby bought a box a few weeks ago. They did eat 2/3 of it before I had to toss it. I'll admit, I'm not one to eat oranges. I'm guilty of being lazy in the orange department myself. I always hated biting into that thick skin to get them started. YUCK! But clementines have thinner skin that will tear with the fingers so maybe I'll eat one and see how it goes. If I like them, maybe the family will go through the entire box before 1/3 of them go bad.
We love the little easy peel citrus, too! My kids can eat a whole box in a day. It gets expensive, really, because we buy organic. Yikes!

As far as young coconut milk - I LOVE the "milk" that I get out of a freshly cut open young coconut (find them in the produc section, they are white... there are youtube videos that show you how to open them...)... but honestly I do not care much for the coconut milk that is already packaged/bottled. That doesn't taste good to me at all. Same for coconut "meat". I do not like prepackaged coconut flakes or meat or cream, etc. But the fresh YOUNG (sometimes called "Thai") coconut is delicious.

Hmmm... maybe this will work:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3caGfCpIAUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3caGfCpIAUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caGfCpIAUw

Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
One way that we eat oranges... when I worked at Whole Foods Market and we got a really delicious batch of navel oranges in (usually the really tasty batches came from Australia!! )... we'd sample out a huge tray and they would sell so fast! We buy pretty much all organic, but when I see navel oranges from Australia I often make an exception and buy them even if they aren't organic. Valencia oranges are better for juicing. Anyway...

We'd cut them like this:
1. cut off the ends
2. cut the orange in half
3. Cut the half in half, lengthwise
4. cut the fourth into little pieces

It amazes me sometimes how something as simple as how you slice something affects whether or not a person will want to eat it - but I have found this to be true. We'll eat 8-10 oranges as a family sitting in front of a good movie if I slice them this way and lay them out on a plate. Unsliced, sitting on the same plate, in front of the same movie... we'd maybe eat one or two of those same oranges! Crazy.

editting to add this sorta creepy youtube video that shows how we cut our oranges.... I guess we cut them like you would to use them for garnishes? I never knew this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMPHUNjTDI8

Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And make your own mac and cheese - it is SO much tastier, SO much more filling, SO much more satisfactory...omg..boxed mac and cheese? Never more. Never ever ever again. I used to live off Kraft. Tried Annie's, was blander but basically the same thing. Make the real thing; you can make huge batches, cut them into squares, freeze the squares individually with saran, and people can nuke just one portion at a time when they want something to eat. Nuke with left-over chicken and a palmful of peas, and you have a complete meal.
I only make real mac and cheese. It's to die for. My children's friends would look at it like it was from another planet. All they ever saw was Kraft.

I try not to make it more than once a month. Gotta watch our arteries. I have other heart-attacks-on-plates we enjoy too, like my fettucini . Gotta limit those types of meals to only once a week. That's why we only get mac n cheese once a month.

Quote:
Coconut flakes are *heavily* sweetened. Coconut milk is very bland, has a distinctive, but very vague flavor of its own.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe it will be nice with cereal. I like almond milk. I'll try this.

Quote:
As far as young coconut milk - I LOVE the "milk" that I get out of a freshly cut open young coconut (find them in the produc section, they are white... there are youtube videos that show you how to open them...)... but honestly I do not care much for the coconut milk that is already packaged/bottled. That doesn't taste good to me at all. Same for coconut "meat". I do not like prepackaged coconut flakes or meat or cream, etc. But the fresh YOUNG (sometimes called "Thai") coconut is delicious.

Hmmm... maybe this will work:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3caGfCpIAUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3caGfCpIAUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caGfCpIAUw
I'll try both. I'll try it fresh from a young coconut and I'll try the bottled type.

What do you do with the young coconut after you use the milk? Do you just chop it into chunks and eat it?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
One way that we eat oranges... when I worked at Whole Foods Market and we got a really delicious batch of navel oranges in (usually the really tasty batches came from Australia!! )... we'd sample out a huge tray and they would sell so fast! We buy pretty much all organic, but when I see navel oranges from Australia I often make an exception and buy them even if they aren't organic. Valencia oranges are better for juicing. Anyway...

We'd cut them like this:
1. cut off the ends
2. cut the orange in half
3. Cut the half in half, lengthwise
4. cut the fourth into little pieces

It amazes me sometimes how something as simple as how you slice something affects whether or not a person will want to eat it - but I have found this to be true. We'll eat 8-10 oranges as a family sitting in front of a good movie if I slice them this way and lay them out on a plate. Unsliced, sitting on the same plate, in front of the same movie... we'd maybe eat one or two of those same oranges! Crazy.
It has been a long time since I've cut an orange. You're right, they're easier to eat that way!

I guess I am the problem in the household when it comes to oranges. I need to change my ways since my family depends on me for nutrition! LOL

Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

I made my own once and the kids didn't like it. The harder I work on a meal, the less they like it.

I've just been browsing vegetarian meals, and thinking of doing "meatless mondays." DH is not on board and the meals all look quite time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting