Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

I have to say the talk about eating oranges and Clementines is making me smile. I grew up surrounded by orange groves. How do you eat one? Pick it up off the gound, dig in with your thumb nails, peel and eat. And both my DH and I have happy memories of stopping at the bottom of a freeway off ramp and our dads handing a buck out the window and getting a 10lb bag of oranges from a local entrepreneur.

Yesterday the Walmart add had Naval oranges at 33 cents a piece. We were both howling in laughter that we were so old you now had to pay 33 cents for a single orange. On "sale". Yikes.

Nutrition: I was big on giving my kids a really good multi vitamin every morning. They also got a shot of cod liver oil on their tongues every morning. Old World folk "cure".

We had plenty of fruits and veggies available for snacking. And that was the secret. If they wanted a snack it was something healthy. We never had chips in the house. Or sodas. They were very physically active and would come home starving. There was never a bag of Fritos in the cupboard to grab and eat. There was a bowl of apples and pears on the table.

And water. Water, water water with meals. Or a mild tea and, yes, milk. I will confess to keeping plenty of Bosco on hand. Mom loves her Bosco!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Is young coconut milk different than the normal coconut milk you buy at the store? I've started drinking coconut milk since figuring out I'm lactose intolerant. Never mind, I saw your later description.

Citrus fruits aren't a problem for us as we have a tangerine tree and an orange tree in our yard. My husband is now working at a store that sells only produce for really cheap, too, so we can up our intake of fruits and veggies without paying a lot.

Hopes, I don't like coconut, but I do like the packaged coconut milk. In fact, I despise coconut, but the milk is good. I might try the way haggard described, though. My husband could eat the meat. He loves coconut.
Do Coconut Palms grow in Southern Calif? We have around 10 of them on our property in FL and they provide all the coconuts you could possibly consume, so you wouldn't have to feel bad about just drinking the milk and tossing the fruit.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
How awesome is that!!?

I've always wanted meyer lemon trees. And avocado trees. Because they are $$$ and because we buy so many of them!
We don't have an avocado tree or any citrus trees. Nobody in the family likes avocados but the tress are really pretty. For quite a while there had been a ban on planting new citrus trees in FL. There were fears of citrus canker and the DOA was going into people's yards and cutting down their mature citrus trees and people were angry. Apparently the fears of citrus canker have declined and you are now permitted to plant citrus trees but we haven't done so.

The people who owned our house before we did used coconut palms all over the place. They are beautiful trees and they give us way more fruit than we can use.

I would really like a mango tree. Mango trees are so pretty and I love mangoes. I have to find out what the right time of the year is to plant a mango tree....

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do Coconut Palms grow in Southern Calif? We have around 10 of them on our property in FL and they provide all the coconuts you could possibly consume, so you wouldn't have to feel bad about just drinking the milk and tossing the fruit.
I've never seen one that actually produces fruit. Lots of date palms. Residential date palms are usually one big headache because the fruit doesn't ripen properly and the seeds just drop to the gound every October. One big sticky mess that you track into the house on your shoes if you're not careful.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
I've never seen coconut trees with coconuts either. Maybe we don't have the right weather for it. Or, maybe they aren't allowed. I don't know.

If we owned this house, we would probably try to figure out how to plant a mango tree. Number one, it would provide shade for summer. Number two, the roots don't mess with pipes from what I read. Number three, my husband's favorite food is mango. They are too expensive much of the year to buy many for him, though. If we had a mango tree, he would probably be the happiest man alive. Hehe.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
... I will confess to keeping plenty of Bosco on hand. Mom loves her Bosco!
What's "Bosco"?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I've never seen coconut trees with coconuts either. Maybe we don't have the right weather for it. Or, maybe they aren't allowed. I don't know.

If we owned this house, we would probably try to figure out how to plant a mango tree. Number one, it would provide shade for summer. Number two, the roots don't mess with pipes from what I read. Number three, my husband's favorite food is mango. They are too expensive much of the year to buy many for him, though. If we had a mango tree, he would probably be the happiest man alive. Hehe.
I think "no coconuts" is a weather thing for Southern California.

psr: Go to Cal State Fullerton's Spring plant sale. It's at the Arboretum on the East side of campus. (Or maybe you have been?) Anyway, it's a huge too-doo and there are acres of plants to choose from. There are clinics. And the sellers are full of good info. I never planted a mango tree but I've planted plenty of citrus trees in tubs.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
What's "Bosco"?
Bosco

In our house it's Ovaltine - chocolate malt flavored. DH loves it...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would really like a mango tree. Mango trees are so pretty and I love mangoes. I have to find out what the right time of the year is to plant a mango tree....
Oh Mango's are one of my husband's favorite thing's. He grew up overseas where he say's the fruit is so much better than what we have here in the states. He and his family had mango trees and they'd pull them right off the tree, sometimes sitting in the tree, and eat them, juices running all down their arms and chin's.

You are so lucky to live in place where those wonderful foods will grow. I'm lucky to get a good tomato crop here in Western Oregon! We do get some amazing berries, apples, grapes, and pears though. And mushrooms and truffles, and wine! I loooooove mushrooms. I recently discovered fresh maitake mushrooms (some people call it "Hen of the Woods") while we were at our Farmer's Market - I nearly passed out the first time I tasted them. I'd never tasted anything so delicious in my life.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What's "Bosco"?
Chocolate syrup. It was one of the first things that was fortified so parents didn't feel horrible about giving it to their kids. Bosco was my kids' treat. A squirt into their milk or onto their ice cream. Delicious. Fat free. Two tbls is about 100 calories. And you can adjust the amount you put in their milk yourself. My kids drank some pretty white-ish chocolate milk.

Also Fudgsicles. Fat free and only 100 calories!! (No milk allergies in my family, obviously.) Fairly cheap.

OVALTINE!! I love Ovaltine! Good catch maciesmom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting