Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM

623 posts, read 1,600,281 times

Advertisements

Our oldest son has had issues with pooping since he was very young. He is on Miralax to help him with this.

When we started potty training my son he had some very large bowel movements which were painful. When I say large I mean LARGE. My wife and I would be shocked that it came out of such a little guy. It made him fearful of trying to go poop.

My son is 11 and still takes the Miralax on a regular basis. He has been known to plug the most powerful toilets in the universe.

You may want to make sure he is not having an issue like this. I remember being so frustrated with him and after we found out what was going on I felt bad about all the times I would yell at him about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,665,575 times
i feel for you! my son was 4 before he would pee in the potty and 4 1/2 before he would poo.

i think they all do it in their own time.

before he would poo, he would do it in his undies ( i flat out stopped buying diapers or pull ups, unless we were going to be out in public or in the car or something). I got to the point where he was having to wash his dirty undies.

maybe that did it. LOL

hell be 5 in april and (thank GOODNESS!) is fully potty trained now.

my oldest (now 12) was potty trained fully before she was 2. go figure. LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Thanks so much, everybody. Good news!!! E is indeed chronically constipated (okay, that's not the good news) BUT we had our first success EVER the other day following a stool softener regimen!!!

He was so excited, you just wouldn't believe it. He was quietly glowing for the rest of the day.

He was constipated again following this and we are reserving a child-grade laxative for if it continues following the next "trial" (the inability to really "go," I mean, not a lack of going into the potty -- the first item to address is the actual constipation so he can get healthy again).

This is such progress and I'm so happy and I'm glad to see my little guy not straining so hard.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM

179 posts, read 515,931 times
My kids will go if they drink apple juice.

Also, you mentioned how you clean the poop four times a day. I think your son is old enough for you to dump any large pieces in the toilet and have him clean his underwear in the sink. I did that with my daughter and it only took one time and she did not poop in hers again.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks so much, everybody. Good news!!! E is indeed chronically constipated (okay, that's not the good news) BUT we had our first success EVER the other day following a stool softener regimen!!!

This is such progress and I'm so happy and I'm glad to see my little guy not straining so hard.
I am very happy for you, but curious. Did the doctor recommend a change in his diet? Did you discuss WHY he is chronically constipated?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I am very happy for you, but curious. Did the doctor recommend a change in his diet? Did you discuss WHY he is chronically constipated?
Yes. He drinks a lot of milk and eats a bit of cheese and we are to cut back on those. However, as far as fiber itself goes, he has a very, very good diet. He loves fruits and vegetables. Nor is his diet too fatty. He's just a very healthy eater. So that bit of it is a mystery but it could be from his having retained in the past and his body just training to retain like that, so that eventually, water leaves (sorry -- eew) and that's when constipation/dry "poop" happens. ETA: And then apparently it just becomes a vicious cycle that never self-corrects without intervention (or usually doesn't self-correct, I guess).

Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yes. He drinks a lot of milk and eats a bit of cheese and we are to cut back on those. However, as far as fiber itself goes, he has a very, very good diet. He loves fruits and vegetables. Nor is his diet too fatty. He's just a very healthy eater. So that bit of it is a mystery but it could be from his having retained in the past and his body just training to retain like that, so that eventually, water leaves (sorry -- eew) and that's when constipation/dry "poop" happens. ETA: And then apparently it just becomes a vicious cycle that never self-corrects without intervention (or usually doesn't self-correct, I guess).
Thanks. I was wondering.

The little guy has been through a lot. I can imagine the doctor visits were no fun for either one of you. I would seriously have a little "poop party" celebration. (I like to acknowledge the small victories in life. )

Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM

DewDropInn, I've actually been trying to make it as "lighthearted" as possible (the whole doctor thing) and I made it *not* the focus of the entire visit...I told him we were going for a checkup for kindergarten, which actually was true. I really don't want him to have to feel horrible about this.

I haven't had a poop party for him, but the entire household has exploded in applause every time he's gone on the potty. He has now gone about six times...which is incredible for him. I still have to catch him "going" and put him on the potty, but I got him this awesome potty thing with steps that he can sit in comfortably, and I always give him a fun book to read.

I think having gone several times is taking some of the pressure off him, because he's no longer thinking of it as "impossible"...you know? He is so so so proud of himself every time he goes. I feel like at least we're finally on the right track.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM

This is the potty thing we got.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I think having gone several times is taking some of the pressure off him, because he's no longer thinking of it as "impossible"...you know? He is so so so proud of himself every time he goes. I feel like at least we're finally on the right track.
I think you handled all of this beautifully. Especially not traumatizing him with the doctor visits. Well done! It just takes some kids longer than others. (Every time I hear Dr. Phil blither on about "I could train your kids in 24 hours" and make everyone feel like horrible mothers I feel like I could go Elvis Presley and shoot the TV.)

And I love that potty chair. Someone should have invented that long, long ago.

Here's hoping the good results continue!

(I'm not big on poop talk but... If he continues to have problems "producing", put a couple of phone books (or something) on the foot rest. Sometimes it helps to have the knees elevated above the pelvis. This hold true for adults as well as the little ones.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting