U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM

523 posts, read 834,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Did you not read the very first sentence of my post????

The only poster who is using that as an excuse is the OP, and she isn't even around anymore....not that I blame her.
I was just expanding on your analogy to bring this back to the OP's post and the query posed by them in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,917,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
At some point these kids will be out in the world where they will have to deal with people of all levels of intelligence and work output. They will have to collaborate with others and allow their teammates to shine as well as themselves. They will have to defer to those teammates who are stronger in some facet of the project. They will have to wait for their teammates to catch up. Their teammates will have to wait for them to catch up. Why should they not begin to manage this this in grade school?

Not necessarily.

Many, if not most, of our most brilliant innovators are those who have gone out on their own because truly they cannot fit in with a corportate culture or an environment where they have to "wait for their teammates to catch up".

God bless those who strike out on their own. God bless those who shun the prescribed expectations. God bless those who are THAT brilliant, because we all benefit from what they achieve.

We have light bulbs because of Edison.
We have "low-priced" cars because of Ford.
We have airplanes because of the Wright Brothers.
We have PCs because of Steve Jobs.
We have standardized, paving the way for the internet, because of Bill Gates.

And so on.

BTW, Steve Jobs went to a Montessori school.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
But why do you think we are opposed to letting our kids have fun?
It's never mentioned.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Helloooo? Glad you've all enjoyed debating the "my kid is more gifted than your kid" issue, which was not in the slightest what my post was about.
FYI, the child in question continued to have a few bad days in school, followed by a major meltdown at home.."I hate you Mommy". He seemed to need to vent, and then was fine afterward. He has had a great, happy week so far, and so we'll just chalk it up to pent up frustration.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,698,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Helloooo? Glad you've all enjoyed debating the "my kid is more gifted than your kid" issue, which was not in the slightest what my post was about.
FYI, the child in question continued to have a few bad days in school, followed by a major meltdown at home.."I hate you Mommy". He seemed to need to vent, and then was fine afterward. He has had a great, happy week so far, and so we'll just chalk it up to pent up frustration.
Glad to hear it! Sometimes kids have meltdowns. It's part of being a kid.

Sorry that we took it so off topic.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,627 times
Whatever people choose for their children is fine, but in all of the anti-public schooling discussion there is the underlying belief that we are all supposed to know that Montessori and home schooling are superior, preferable, and evidence of better parenting. Many of us simply don't buy it.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's never mentioned.
Did you not read all of the posts?

Additionally, we were talking about what goes on in the classroom. If you had asked before making your assumptions, I would have told you as would have other posters.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Did you not read all of the posts?

Additionally, we were talking about what goes on in the classroom. If you had asked before making your assumptions, I would have told you as would have other posters.
Good grief! You wonder why people are offended by your posts, your tone is so condescending. Cut it out.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Whatever people choose for their children is fine, but in all of the anti-public schooling discussion there is the underlying belief that we are all supposed to know that Montessori and home schooling are superior, preferable, and evidence of better parenting. Many of us simply don't buy it.
Where are you reading this into it? No one has claimed that he or she is a better parent because they choose homeschooling or Montessori. You, however, have implied or downright said that those of us that choose it are full of crap.You have even posted unsubstantiated claims about how kids that are homeschooled or go to montessori are disadvantaged. I think there is some major projection on your part going on here.

I am not competing with you or anyone else for best mother of the year - please STOP suggesting that.

If public school works for your kids, more power to you! Lucky for you that you don't have to incur any additional costs. However, STOP with your sweeping generalizations about families who choose alternative education. It reeks of intellectual laziness on your part.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good grief! You wonder why people are offended by your posts, your tone is so condescending. Cut it out.
How is my tone condescending? You cannot hear my tone. You are the one telling people to take a deep breath -- THAT is condescending. Where have I said I wonder why people are getting offended by my posts? I know why they are, because they are projecting all sorts of motives because of their own prejudices. I don't need to wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or