Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I do see that sensitivity can result from "giftedness" (and yes, it's a grossly overused term), but it can also just be a result of social awkwardness, and also of overparenting. Yep. I said it.
I agree. And sadly does nothing to help them enjoy a happy and fulfilled life.

Also applying the label "gifted" at 7 is a bit much. A large part of elementary education is learning social skills, and if your parents are so fixated on rearing the next Doogie Howser, they are probably not allowing the kid to just be a kid, and learn some very important social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Also applying the label "gifted" at 7 is a bit much. A large part of elementary education is learning social skills, and if your parents are so fixated on rearing the next Doogie Howser, they are probably not allowing the kid to just be a kid, and learn some very important social skills.
You see, that's why I don't like the term gifted. Because it drives people to respond this way. I never drove my kid to do anything. Neither did most of the other parents who had kids in the APP. Good parents advocate for their kids educational needs. That's what I do, that's what you do. You are making an assumption that kids that have been identified as gifted are somehow being pushed by their parents and that's not necessarily accurate.

My son wasn't ready to read until right before he turned six, but when he did he took off. He picks his own books to read, I don't. We do the Singapore Math curriculum and he works at his own pace, which is far above grade level. However, his writing is very much at his age level.

There's no fixation on anything. I am planning on sending him to Montessori school next year because I think the idea of grades and all the academic pressure in traditional school is not good for children. I really think that experts like evolutionary psychologist, Peter Gray, are right on the money (See Freedom to Learn | Psychology Today).

My son spent this afternoon playing with kids in the neighborhood, running from yard to yard collecting sticks while he and couple of his neighborhood buddies carry on some sort of make believe war with the girls across the street. Does that sound like just because I acknowledge that my son needs an accelerated learning program that he isn't allowed to be a kid? If I were busy hot-housing my kid, I wouldn't have time to hang out here on this here board chatting away.

We never did flashcards when he was young, I figured he learn his ABCs and whatnot when he went to preschool.

Since we started homeschooling last year we've met many parents that practice something called "un-schooling" where they let their kids be completely in charge of their own education. One of the women here who homeschooled her kid the entire time, by letting him decide what to study when he wanted. He started at MIT the year before last and is doing great. That kid obviously wasn't hot housed either but he had an internal drive for excellence and he was very talented academically. I don't need to push my kid either.... which is good because I am really lazy

Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You see, that's why I don't like the term gifted. Because it drives people to respond this way. I never drove my kid to do anything. Neither did most of the other parents who had kids in the APP. Good parents advocate for their kids educational needs. That's what I do, that's what you do. You are making an assumption that kids that have been identified as gifted are somehow being pushed by their parents and that's not necessarily accurate.
Well are you talking about gifted or accelerated programs? They are very different animals. Most of the posters on the Parenting board have said at one time or another that their kids are in accelerated programs, but those are not gifted programs. And no, I don't know you, but this is obviously a big deal for you as you stated you are a Mensa member. I did not see anyone else refer to their Mensa membership, IQ, or the like. Sorry to point it out, but it's a tad arrogant.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Yeah, I definitely don't think that just because a child is in an accelerated learning program that means he is gifted. It just means he/she is smart or learns more quickly than his/her peers.

I think I am confused now. Are we talking about gifted, or accelerated? Hope the OP comes back to give more insight. Either way, gifted or accelerated, a 7yr is a little old IMHO to be throwing temper tantrums in school where the parent has to be called in and take him/her home.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well are you talking about gifted or accelerated programs? They are very different animals. Most of the posters on the Parenting board have said at one time or another that their kids are in accelerated programs, but those are not gifted programs. And no, I don't know you, but this is obviously a big deal for you as you stated you are a Mensa member. I did not see anyone else refer to their Mensa membership, IQ, or the like. Sorry to point it out, but it's a tad arrogant.
Am I supposed to hide that? Should I be ashamed? The other poster with whom I was arguing claimed to be gifted herself. Did you note the context I used it in? I was saying big deal, I do well at pattern matching tests. That's all you need to test for a high IQ.

Frankly, it is likely my kid learns faster than yours. Does that make me a better parent? Not necessarily. Does that make him a better person? Not at all. Just like your kid being better at soccer or lacrosse doesn't mean he is a more deserving of love or esteem than mine.

If you think it's arrogant to acknowledge ones strong points or attributes, then I am arrogant. However, I don't think I am any better than you or any more deserving respect or acceptance than you because I test well. You may very well be a better tennis player than I am. If you were to point out that you've won a few titles in tennis, does that make you arrogant?

Why don't you tell me how accelerated programs are different than gifted programs?

I posted to the APP program in Seattle. It was called the "Accelerated Progress Program" it was for gifted kids. Again, a term I wish wasn't used because it gets everyone's undies in a bunch as if somehow you acknowledge that your kids intellectually gifted, you must be arrogant.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Yeah, I definitely don't think that just because a child is in an accelerated learning program that means he is gifted. It just means he/she is smart or learns more quickly than his/her peers.

I think I am confused now. Are we talking about gifted, or accelerated? Hope the OP comes back to give more insight. Either way, gifted or accelerated, a 7yr is a little old IMHO to be throwing temper tantrums in school where the parent has to be called in and take him/her home.
What do you think the term gifted as is used in the psychological/educational context means then?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
Quote:

Yes. It's part of the pathologizing of childhood...parents who are driven to understand *what* their child is so that they can customize a learning environment to his/her *needs.*

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's part of the pathologizing of childhood...parents who are driven to understand *what* their child is so that they can customize a learning environment to his/her *needs.*
What does this even mean? How is understanding that kids learn differently from one another make them pathological? Learning differently doesn't make them learning disabled. It just means they learn differently. I've recommended this clip in another thread so sorry for the duplicate but Sir Ken Robinson is really onto something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Am I supposed to hide that? Should I be ashamed? The other poster with whom I was arguing claimed to be gifted herself. Did you note the context I used it in? I was saying big deal, I do well at pattern matching tests. That's all you need to test for a high IQ.

Frankly, it is likely my kid learns faster than yours. Does that make me a better parent? Not necessarily. Does that make him a better person? Not at all. Just like your kid being better at soccer or lacrosse doesn't mean he is a more deserving of love or esteem than mine.

If you think it's arrogant to acknowledge ones strong points or attributes, then I am arrogant. However, I don't think I am any better than you or any more deserving respect or acceptance than you because I test well. You may very well be a better tennis player than I am. If you were to point out that you've won a few titles in tennis, does that make you arrogant?

Why don't you tell me how accelerated programs are different than gifted programs?

I posted to the APP program in Seattle. It was called the "Accelerated Progress Program" it was for gifted kids. Again, a term I wish wasn't used because it gets everyone's undies in a bunch as if somehow you acknowledge that your kids intellectually gifted, you must be arrogant.
Many honors programs and AP (Advanced Placement) programs are based on grades and teacher recommendations. Only programs labeled "gifted" are based on Stanford-Binet scores (at least that's how it works in my state). I favor the programs that look at a student's work and conduct rather than an IQ score because I think that those programs are more designed around what students are capable of doing rather than their abstract *potential.*

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Many honors programs and AP (Advanced Placement) programs are based on grades and teacher recommendations. Only programs labeled "gifted" are based on Stanford-Binet scores (at least that's how it works in my state). I favor the programs that look at a student's work and conduct rather than an IQ score because I think that those programs are more designed around what students are capable of doing rather than their abstract *potential.*
Well, they don't have AP in elementary school and if you don't challenge the very bright early they turn off to school. Consequently, I think there is a need for programs at the elementary level that allow for an accellerated curriculum.

Really, I am not trying to be contrary for the sake of irriating people. I just strongly believe that the public school system as it is today doesn't serve a good percentage of studetns because of its one size fits all paradigm. Really, if you have 11 minutes to watch the Ken Robinson clip, it's worthwhile -he doesn't even talk in terms of giftedness. He thinks that every child needs an education that is meaningful to that child.

One last thought, who is it that decides what the student is capable of doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting