U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

One of our 8 year old girls has been invited to her first slumber party the first weekend in February. The first thing she thought of was her "Dolly", her lifelong sleeping buddy.

Will the other girls make fun of her if she takes Dolly to the party?

I will suggest she tuck Dolly into her pillow case so only she will know about her but I know this kid will not even try to sleep without her. BTW this will be her first sleep away from home.

It's a trip having kids 21 years apart. In one thread I'm worried about my 29 year old son moving to Saudi Arabia and in this one I'm worried about a slumber party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
At 8, most of the other girls will have dolls - and some will still have teddies too. My daughter is 8 and still brings both with her when sleeping over, and other girls bring theirs here - sometimes just for the day when they're just hanging out.

It's doubtful she'll be made fun of - it's a transitional age - they still sleep with their dolls and teddies, but want to dress like teenagers and have pink hair.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I slept with Mousie til I went to college. Mousie was a huge stuffed yellow fuzzy mouse (almost pillow sized), with button eyes and just black stitching for the smile, and whiskers, and a yellow bit of piping for the tail. I swung Mousie around too many times and the tail was long gone. The whiskers were long gone. One eye was gone. So really, it was just one eye, and a smile, on the end of this big foot-ball shaped yellow stuffed thing.

I still miss Mousie <sniff>

Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM

523 posts, read 834,477 times
My daughter is also 8 and she has attended a few sleepovers as well. In each instance all the girls have had special friends with them. If she is unsure she can keep her doll in the foot of her sleeping bag. When she sees everone else's special friend she will probably feel more comfortable brining her's out.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One of our 8 year old girls has been invited to her first slumber party the first weekend in February. The first thing she thought of was her "Dolly", her lifelong sleeping buddy.

Will the other girls make fun of her if she takes Dolly to the party?

I will suggest she tuck Dolly into her pillow case so only she will know about her but I know this kid will not even try to sleep without her. BTW this will be her first sleep away from home.
The doll is fine. I wouldn't even tell her to hide it. Since this is her first, I hope she has fun!

My children always enjoyed sleepovers. When they were older, they started calling us to pick them up. It didn't happen all the time, but I did happen two or three times. Funny thing, it never had anything to do with where. They'd go back to sleep over at the same house another time without a problem. I'd pick them up without making a big deal about it. It didn't even need a discussion---sometimes they just miss home. Kids go through stages and sometimes regress. They always keep you on your toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's a trip having kids 21 years apart. In one thread I'm worried about my 29 year old son moving to Saudi Arabia and in this one I'm worried about a slumber party
When I saw the thread title, I had to think for a moment to remind myself that you also have little ones.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,982,700 times
Tell her not to worry about the doll. My girls have big having and attending slumber parties since first grade and kids always bring favorite dolls, stuffed animals and special pillows and blankets. When my dd turned 11 last year some of her friends still brought stuffed animals.

They won't make fun of her. They'll probably just be curious (what's her name, when did you get her, etc.).

Hope she has a great time. Sleepovers can be so much fun, though not much sleeping goes on.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
My 17-year-old exchange student went away on an overnight school trip, and as far as I know, she brought her teddy bear that she sleeps with every night. Your eight-year-old is fine to bring a doll! Hope she has fun!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Agreed. My 8-yr old has a menagerie of stuffed animals and brought her Chrissa AG doll to her latest sleepover.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,520,891 times
I recently did a hotel sleepover for 20 girls aged 10-14 and one one 16 yo. Several of them had bed buddies. I wouldn't bat an eye over an 8yo with a doll. One thing I would let your little one know is that since she is taking dollie, she is inviting other girls to share dollie. I know some kids are protective of their bed buddy. If your daughter is over protective, it may be a good idea to get a substitute bed buddy who she is less protective of and less likely to snatch from the hands of an inquisitive friend. Not saying this would be the case, just a senario I have seen.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
I have a 25 year old girlfriend who still bring her "bear" on vacations and such. It literally looks like a bowling pin with an eye. It has since lots both its arms, legs and ears. I only laugh at her because she claims her original bear was thrown into the ocean and her mom had to fly to india to get a new one. She got the new one the next day. It's magical how you can fly 27 hours there and back and only be gone a day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting